Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monster Hunter on Switch releasing next week

lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
edited August 2018 in Console Gaming
With MHW taking over the world and many threads and discussions popping up (controllers baby, yeah!) I've been very surprised that nobody has been talking about next weeks release of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on the Switch, even more so with a demo readily available on the store which lets you try out all 15 weapons on 3 different hunts.

Why you should care.

MHGU has 93 monsters to fight, 93. MHW initial roster has 33, and not only that but MHGUs roster is the biggest to date adding tons and tons of content.

Its a spin off of the main entries of the series with the biggest difference being the addition of Styles (modifiers of standard movesets) and their accompanying Arts (special moves). You choose these on top of one of the 15 different weapons. It makes the game a bit flashier then the other entries but I think its addition is really neat. The ultimate version includes 6 Styles instead of the regular 4.

Some found MHW too easy. Fear not, MHGHU brings back G ranking missions that are tough as nails. Not only that, Deviant versions of monsters are also to be hunted. Deviant being normal ones that have survived a previous encounter and are now mutated/tougher etc.

MHW focusses slightly less on the preparation of things and more on the hunting. Through QoL additions gathering and crafting is easier and less consuming. Not so in MHGU, due to longer preparation times I personally find the hunt and the consequent victory much more satisfactory. No more infinite sharpening stones and instant gathering, you'll work for it.

Why you couldn't care.

Its an upgrade from a 3DS title, it isn't the prettiest. In handheld mode it holds up remarkably well with a butter smooth frame rate and monster behaviour and animation is absolutely top notch. Flat textures and low poly are par for the course though, on a big television its very noticeable. I couldn't care less, in the middle of an intense fight you REALLY won't be focusing on that.

It has loading screens, a lot. Gone are the MHW open worlds, here you have smaller areas divided by loading screens. MHW is the new generations MH, this is still the old one. Loading times are about 3-5 seconds each so fast, still noticable however.

It misses all QoL additions found in MHW. No fireflies, no automatic crafting, no instant gathering, no locking function, no damage numbers or signing when you can capture a monster, no infinite sharpening stone etc. etc. You have to work for it, hard.

When you should stay away.

If you thought the experience in MHW wasn't streamlined enough. This will make you tear your hair out.

If you thought MHW was too difficult.

It you thought the hunting was fine but you could do without the preparing phase.

MHW is a new phase for the series and MHGU is the last game of the old generation. What it lacks in pollish and streamlining it makes up for with tons and tons of content and customisation and really difficult fights for those looking for that. I've got mine pre ordered and can't wait to dive in after exhausting the demo. So what do you guys think? Downloading the demo for a try? No way in hell you will play it? Or waiting for reviews?

/Cheers,
Lahnmir
'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I guess everybody is still too busy with MHW  :D

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    lahnmir said:
    I guess everybody is still too busy with MHW  :D

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I am looking forward to this rather heavily.

• ThevigilanteThevigilante Member CommonPosts: 6
    That seems like it will be a pretty good game when it comes out. I wouldn't mind trying it first to make sure that it's something I won't get bored of easily because some games I just lower extreme interest in them and it becomes like a waste of money for me. The large number of different monsters to fight has caught my interest though, I can't lie.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2018
    That seems like it will be a pretty good game when it comes out. I wouldn't mind trying it first to make sure that it's something I won't get bored of easily because some games I just lower extreme interest in them and it becomes like a waste of money for me. The large number of different monsters to fight has caught my interest though, I can't lie.
    You should definitely give the demo a try then, it gives a good general idea and you can decide if you can live with the more archaic design or not. I've been playing MH games for a good decade so I had no trouble but ymmv.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• URLooKINatGLORYURLooKINatGLORY Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Game is pretty legit, i just started it on xbox and hoping to grind it out for a few hundred hours
  • MindyshawMindyshaw Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I just saw this tweetIm confused whether  monster hunter world coming to switch or it's just a rumor ?

"Went to Capcom Shareholders Meeting, which went as expected. Regarding MH World, they said that it "can't be done on Switch," so it's futile to ask for a port. But, it appears instead that Capcom will proceed with MH made especially for Switch."
    read more here https://gameboggy.com/games/monst1563272828240er-hunterworld/