Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the cheaters be the only winners?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
edited August 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
An article in MassivelyOP about the new Fallen Earth owners struggle to get cheating under control reminded me of a concern I've been pondering for a while.

We are all painfully aware even the largest game publishers struggle tirelessly (and perhaps futilely?) against those who hack, exploit or otherwise cheat shamelessly, particularly in, but not limited to, PVP centric games.

With a number of PVP oriented indie games in progress (CF, CU, Ashes, SC, etc.) will they really be able to keep cheating from becoming rampant which at least in my case will strongly deter me from playing.

Especially as most indies will lack the funds to rigorously tackle the problem. (Not SC of course.)

https://massivelyop.com/2018/08/22/frustrated-fallen-earth-owners-focus-on-thwarting-cheaters-rewriting-source-code/

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Gdemami

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2018
         There will always be cheaters , but i always wonder if they really feel a winner when the finish a session .. One would think that anyone with a conscious would know they really did not Win ..

I remember going and meeting with the Devs of Fallen Earth before its release , was a really good meeting , Game had/has such Potential there really is some great mechainics to the game , And was a very accdictive and fun time , till you hit the PVP zones ... And i enjoy PVP but the cheaters were rampant and spoiled the game for many, seems most that are left is just cheats ...

Real Shame for Fallen Earth , its what drove many away if they could get it under control , there is a game in there that is very good and would attract a strong niche following
    Octagon7711GdemamimaskedweaselKyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Cheating is an epidemic one the game developers are always unable to overcome because they are always many steps behind. It cannot be helped it is the unfortunate reality of multiplayer gaming and especially in PvP games.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I've played a couple of shooters that just had horrible cheating. It was very obvious and the companies did nothing to stop it.
    GdemamiKyleran
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One of the questions I would always ask during kickstarts is what will be put in place to combat bots and gold sellers.  Most for some reason underestimated what would happen and others it appeared would wait until it became a major problem and work on it then, probably because most of their time and resources were being put into just making a successful game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Some people would cheat at Solitaire. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Fake it 'til you make it? Idk....I never got the point of hacking a game.

I used to use cheat codes only after playing the game fully, because I knew as soon as I did I wanted to move on soon after.

Some peeps like cheating to troll and ruin others' games, and some people like pulling the wings of bugs.....I think they like to picnic together.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Gutlard said:

I used to use cheat codes only after playing the game fully, because I knew as soon as I did I wanted to move on soon after.

Some peeps like cheating to troll and ruin others' games, and some people like pulling the wings of bugs.....I think they like to picnic together.

Gut Out!
    I think the issue is multiplayer games, no?

Single player? Doesn't matter if you use cheat codes, it's your game and your game experience. As long as you are enjoying that experience then it's not an issue.

I used to make a "blessing mod for Oblivion for the Battle of Bruma. I did this because I would wait until my character was very high level to do that part of the main quest and that would spawn the highest level daedra. None of the Bruma participants ever made it out "alive" as I would come through the portal to a complete blood bath. It was fine the first time but I always wanted "someone" to be around.

So I gave myself "hero's blessing" which boosted everyone within a large area with greater hit points, better defense, etc. This way there were usually people left when I came back.

It was changing the game but I loved it.
    Quizzical
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    kitarad said:
    Cheating is an epidemic one the game developers are always unable to overcome because they are always many steps behind. It cannot be helped it is the unfortunate reality of multiplayer gaming and especially in PvP games.
    It's actually mostly because gamers are acting like idiots most of the time. An anti-cheating software can be written, but it would need UAC/root privileges. Asian MMOs do this but the software is crap right now. 

Anyway back to my original point, gamers will never allow a game developer root access to their computer so they can monitor for hacking software or executable injections/sideloading.

But they'll be more than happy bitching about cheaters though. 

Every damn time a similar software is even suggested everyone jumps on the bandwagon and calls it malware because of its proprietary nature. 
    alkarionlogjimmywolf
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Amathe said:

That's a poor example, though, because Solitaire has a very crappy game-design based on pure luck(mostly).  It's like playing a slot machine or Blackjack.  It's a game that's not really designed to give you a fair chance at winning on any given hand.  Video game design is usually far less weighted against you.
    Anyway, who cares if someone cheats at their single-player stuff :p
    ------------------------------------------

There will be cheating anytime there's competition with others.  That's a fact of life.  Some people are so fragile they simply cannot accept/deal with losing.  I wonder when we'll start seeing participation trophies in video games.

It's always worse in any free to play game, for obvious reasons.  Just having a basic upfront monetary cost stops quite a few cheaters.  So, that should help some of these indie games(CU, Pantheon, etc.).
    Even in a P2P game, though, people will just as freely cheat if the developers do not quickly and actively ban.

Then there's the hacked/stolen accounts.  In my experience, this tends to be the biggest source of the problem.  And, a lot of times this is from the players being stupid(buying gold/accounts, falling for phishing scams, power-levelling services, etc.) and bringing it on themselves.

There always seems to be account misuse in MMOs with a hacking problem.  So, having pay walls can only go so far.

Really, even in the AAA games I've played, every single one of them seems to have a massive amount of botting/hacking/exploiting when they launch.  It seems like it takes the developers forever to patch the leaks, in every single one, as well.
    So, with that in mind, it's not like the big studios are smashing these things in any reasonable timeframe, either.

TL:DR --
    The main and only reason this could have a bigger impact on indie devs, imo, is because of smaller population counts.  Big name games can afford to lose a few disgruntled players while waiting long times for fixes, but these indie games will be starting with smaller playerbases.
    Kyleran
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I feel like you never really win if you cheat.

Of course no one types in cheat codes anymore they just give companies money to spawn in gold, items, preleveled characters and everything else.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Lokero said:
    Amathe said:

That's a poor example, though, 
    Did you consider I may just be making the point that there are people who are disposed to cheat by nature or nurture at any opportunity?
    MendelKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Sovrath said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    I think the issue is multiplayer games, no?

Single player? Doesn't matter if you use cheat codes, it's your game and your game experience. As long as you are enjoying that experience then it's not an issue.

I used to make a "blessing mod for Oblivion for the Battle of Bruma. I did this because I would wait until my character was very high level to do that part of the main quest and that would spawn the highest level daedra. None of the Bruma participants ever made it out "alive" as I would come through the portal to a complete blood bath. It was fine the first time but I always wanted "someone" to be around.

So I gave myself "hero's blessing" which boosted everyone within a large area with greater hit points, better defense, etc. This way there were usually people left when I came back.

It was changing the game but I loved it.
    I agree that cheating in singleplayer games is no biggy if it enhances the gameplay or brings fun to yourself, but it usually ruins the fun for me personally after a very short time.

Yes, cheating in MP games just multiplies the issues for everyone.

I just don't understand the thinking of cheaters. Is it fun? For how long? Why? Do they really feel a sense of accomplishment from it?

I guess figuring out how to cheat would bring some form of pride with it, and maybe pwning nubs for a short time gives them a thrill, but then what? Keep it up as long as possible until they get banned? Do it again? Move on and repeat in another game?

Do cheaters always have to cheat, or can they get enjoyment out of a full play through without it?

If I could cheat, I would probably do it on some l33t players that always talk shit and put others down, just to knock them down a peg or 5...everyone needs a reality check every once in a while.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    i'm more surprised about this game is still alive to tell the truth, last time I was on it it was a dead game who only had a really small player base, and had several issues about rushed end game and heavy load of bugs
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Kyleran said:
    An article in MassivelyOP about the new Fallen Earth owners struggle to get cheating under control reminded me of a concern I've been pondering for a while.

We are all painfully aware even the largest game publishers struggle tirelessly (and perhaps futilely?) against those who hack, exploit or otherwise cheat shamelessly, particularly in, but not limited to, PVP centric games.

With a number of PVP oriented indie games in progress (CF, CU, Ashes, SC, etc.) will they really be able to keep cheating from becoming rampant which at least in my case will strongly deter me from playing.

Especially as most indies will lack the funds to rigorously tackle the problem. (Not SC of course.)

https://massivelyop.com/2018/08/22/frustrated-fallen-earth-owners-focus-on-thwarting-cheaters-rewriting-source-code/

Pve servers, PvP on and off switch on each charcter, complete ban of IP after warning.

Kyleran
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited August 2018
    Gutlard said:

I just don't understand the thinking of cheaters. Is it fun? For how long? Why? Do they really feel a sense of accomplishment from it?

I'm not a psychologist but I don't think it's about accomplishment so much as they are looking to make themselves feel better/elevate themselves by "beating" others. It's not the idea that their own skills beat their opponents but that there is a perception that they are better than others.

They feed off that perception and that is enough.

And like some people feed off griefing other players and hearing the complaints of other players, cheaters feed off the same complaints.

I also imagine that they just enjoy the praise. Again, not because they have the skills to earn that praise, they just want to be praised. It's the adoration they enjoy.
    MendelKyleran[Deleted User]Gdemami
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • emilyidkemilyidk Member CommonPosts: 7
    Well I think not really, and I really don't like cheaters. What is the purpose of playing the game if you can't win it properly lol. There's no fun in winning if you're going to cheat
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Cheating has always been a thing, and until a proper system gets put in place that can somehow detect and ban players prior to reports I don't think it will stop. Every time a company develops a new patch for their anti cheat, the cheat developers will just release another version to bypass it.

It's too easy to cheat, cheats are too accessible, and the punishment doesn't mean anything if people are willing to pay for the game again.

I play Counterstrike Global Offensive almost every day in ranked, and the amount of hackers is insane. They have tried different methods to get rid of hackers but it doesn't seem to ever do anything. I use prime matchmaking which requires a phone number tied to your account, and you still see occasional hackers. They implemented Overwatch which allows players to watch reported matches and ban hackers, but that only works after the game. I have friends who have been banned for hacking, and they just buy a new copy of the game on a new steam account and hack again. Over and over. I don't know why they do it other than they are garbage at the game and just want to make people angry. 

Battleye seems to be making a decent step towards hacking removal, on rainbow six siege you can see every time a player gets banned and it's banning at least 1 or 2 every minute. 

Sometimes I prefer console shooters because the amount of hackers is so low you almost never encounter one. Probably because of the upfront investment, if you hack your entire console gets banned from online services. 
    Kyleran
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Most of those projects have at least a couple big names on their team. I'd hope cheating crossed their mind at some point during development.

In terms of cheating, you can divide games into two camps. Those which do most calculations client side and those that handle key checks server side. If you are a client side game, you are pretty much screwed from the get go. Surprisingly, some big titles fall into the first camp - Black Desert and Tom Clancy's Division come to mind. I don't know what GTA 5 is doing, but I'm thinking it must be client side heavy as well.

If you are smart enough, you will code your game in a way where cheating isn't blatantly obvious. Those games end up with bot farmers and cheaters who get "help" from their software, but don't tear through the fabric of the game. In this case, cheating probably doesn't become entirely rampant and is a force that can, if nothing else, be combated.

In my opinion, highly social, guild driven games (i.e. Crowfall) have an advantage. If your world has tight knit populations, the community can police itself to a degree. Big guilds will call their own members out. If you have a guild where most members are cheaters, chances are their house of cards will fall one day.
    Kyleran
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    many people lack the insight to understand why evil people do what they do, it's why we label those that are acting that way as sociopath.

some are harmless an barley effect others IE cheating in online games, few are deadly an need to be lock away as they will hurt others in real life.

I'll stop cheating....one hug at a time!

Gut Out!
    Kyleran

What, me worry?

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    You need to look at the opposite ends.  There are mmorpg with limited cheating in pvp.  Which makes mmorpg like fallen earth problem look more like poor program and poor maintain problem.
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I think that Ashes in the worst case scenario already will be awful at start as there will be so many people looking to spread chaos, if you add cheating on top of that it might be even worse. 
    Kyleran

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    One reason I prefer to play competitive games on console if possible.
    Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    You don't win by cheating. You win by beating others in same conditions.
    If you cheat, you can be "first", but you didn't win. You're also cheating yourself in the process.
    ^ This.

'Winning' implies balanced and even conditions as part of the competition.  When cheating is involved, it isn't 'winning'.  Baseball, steroids.  Football, steroids.  Games, hacks.  It's all the same to me.

[Deleted User]Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    DMKano said:
    Not all winners cheat, but good cheaters always win.

Solution - don't play PvP games if cheaters bother you. 

As I realize cheating can never be halted I at least hope it can be managed enough to not strongly impact my gameplay experience.

I'm sure EVE is rife with cheaters, yet rarely did I ever feel I "lost" something because of blatant hacking.

Whereas while an Alpha backer in Archeage I have never tried to log in even once since launch day.

Between reports of horrific queues which alledgedly some guilds managed to totally avoid to allegations of selective DNS attacks in order to manipulate the early land rush I sat out at first waiting for Trion to correct.   

They never did, and it got worse when reports came out hackers were using bots to scarf up any available land plots.

So as you advised, I never played the game, and they lost revenue. 

GdemamiUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon