Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explorers Wanted As Alpha Sign Ups Open + a Hands On Report Published - New World - MMORPG.com

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Wizardry said:
    Get back to me Amazon when you are SERIOUS about creating games and not just looking to make a quick fast buck.A new age game if trying to be actually different should take a minimum of 7 years to make.Even a HQ single player game should take around 4 years,these guys are trying to pull a Smedley and sell us some half baked game.
    A large part of how long a game takes is how many people work on it. And whilst twice as many people won't mean it gets made twice as fast it will get made faster. Destiny for example took less than 2.5 years ...... after securing funding.

Which is the other biggie: funding. You need money before you hire any team - large or small. And money to keep the team working - if the money starts to run out, maybe gets tight at a corporate level, the team. So maybe the team gets down sized, work gets slowed etc. 

And how long it takes to get the initial funding + continuing funding if necessary - is sometimes part of the years a game spends in "development".

Now whether this will turn out to be a decent game or half baked .... that remains to be seen.

I wouldn't associate Amazon with "quick fast buck" though; remorseless pursuit of world domination maybe! 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I have no idea why they chose the setting they did. Just 0 interest there. Sounds like it will be a boring version of Conan Exiles. They have failed to grip me, I'm in a state of non-grippedness.
    KyleranAlomar
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I'm signed into Amazon, and don't see an Email Me link. I wonder if it's because I already "purchased" the game years ago when first announced.
  • OnTheRocksOnTheRocks Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Wasn't there already an alpha sign up? I could have sworn I signed up already...
    Oyjord
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    full loot PVP gankbox eh...RIP
    AlomarOyjordkitaradsakerPeskyScarran
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Meh, full loot pvp. Oh well, I'll strike this one from my interest list.
    Rich84OyjordLeilonikitaradOctagon7711hallucigenocidesakerScarran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    Amazon has zero interest in making a deep or slow paced old school mmorpg.

They are after "highly watchable Twitch/stream" format - all of their games are designed with Twitch streaming in mind.

High Twitch appeal games are a requirement for AmazonGames - this is literally in their design docs, as deep Twitch integration is a core feature for all of their games. Amazon bought Twitch for a reason.

You know what streams really well - PvP action games.

Slow paced deep PvE games - the masses have zero desire to watch that on twitch because that type of gameplay is boring to watch.

Ah...games made for moron....er I mean the masses to watch.

Check.

I'll be passing of course.

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Did they just ask, "How can we have the smallest target audience possible in an MMO?" Sounds like an MMO/survival hybrid.

"PvP seems to be at the very focal heart of the game and currently when you die you drop all of your gear which can then be looted by other players. This does mean that the gear your acquire is not very difficult to get, but there will be more powerful gear that offers a greater risk for a potentially larger reward. You might be more powerful and effective in combat, but if you die you will lose that powerful set of equipment."

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/new-world-preview-3682676/

Well, there goes any interest I had in the game.
    OyjordLeiloniRich84
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm definitely curious. As to what this game will be, time will tell. Amazon is making multiple online games and it wouldnt be in their interest to make games that compete with or completely overshadow one another as to reduce the potential of a single game. It would make sense to have their game fulfill the desires of different groups within the gaming market. Take Blizzard for example. They probably had a realization that Project Titan would cut into their WoW playerbase (that still had more expansions and story to produce) and diversifying into the team shooter genre would bring in completely new players who had no interest in WoW. They don't make any more Warcraft strat games because they have not too long ago released Starcraft expansions. Diablo satisfies the (now) offline storyline driven area. If Amazon wants to be as successful as possible Im convinced this IS the most MMORPG-est game they will make.

Or they could chase fads... which would be colossal waste of their money.
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The core of this game is exactly why I don't play EVE Only online despite being a huge sci-fi fan and loving space ships etc. Full loot PvP and forced guilds and grouping just are way more stressful than they are fun. I don't want to take orders from some dickhead on voice comms and not be able to explore game content unless I'm in a group without fear of getting ganked constantly.
    Oyjord
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Nice. Can't wait to try it!
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited August 2018

DMKano said:

Amazon has zero interest in making a deep or slow paced old school mmorpg.

They are after "highly watchable Twitch/stream" format - all of their games are designed with Twitch streaming in mind.

High Twitch appeal games are a requirement for AmazonGames - this is literally in their design docs, as deep Twitch integration is a core feature for all of their games. Amazon bought Twitch for a reason.

You know what streams really well - PvP action games.

Slow paced deep PvE games - the masses have zero desire to watch that on twitch because that type of gameplay is boring to watch.

Meh not open world MMO style PvP games, though. People don't want to be found by their enemies on stream lol. Especially when they'll apparently loose everything. There's definitely got to be something we're not aware of here for this to all make sense.

I also have to agree on those who pointed out that this is a niche audience. I think with the direction they're going, it's a ton of wasted potential. Some of this sounds great, but then the full loot PvP, survival, crafting stuff is meh.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    They recommend a Sand Bridge 2011 CPU, which my 2013 Haswell blows out of the water.

However I'm stuck on the RAM because I still have stoneage 8gb DDR on a low speed and my GPU runs only the GTX 950 instead of the GTX 970. And that's not too old, just 2015.

So basically I need to update my RAM and GPU but my CPU is still fine and dandy. To no surprise because there's still quite a few games launching on a 32-bit client rather than a 64-bit. Not to mention that they're not utilizing multi-core processors to the fullest with outdated engines that rely more on single-core speed rather than multi-core utility.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Been sighed up for over two years now hopefully they finally are moving the project forward
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Who else is extremely refreshed by this traditional approach to announcing incremental development steps to an upcoming MMORPG? Wow, I had no idea it would be so refreshing to not have 1,000 dev blog entries and transparent development.
    Panserbjorne395CARLLeTT
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    ..So is this just another multiplayer survival game like DayZ/Ark/Conan/etc?
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited August 2018
    Those specs tell me exactly what I wanted to know about the Lumbermill (Crytek) engine fork they have over there at Amazon.

Rejoice everyone, the new Hero Engine is upon us \o/ May your CPU instructions go to a bloody waste and your GPU overheat on 2010s graphics. Rejoice! "But hey if you can't run the game, we at Amazon suggest you buy these pieces of hardware." "Look what other people bought to play this game!" "Now supporting realistic 3D ray traced grass!!!"
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited August 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Full loot pvp mmo.  

Is it ? Ah well I'm out.
    Rich84

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Wow, that's the first time I've seen a SSD listed as a recommended.
    Octagon7711

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• S00nnyS00nny Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Only USA? Can't enroll
    edited August 2018
    Win 10 lol wtf? They have an 8 year old CPU that came out years before Win 10 was a thing, and a several years old GPU, but we all need to have upgraded our older computers to the completely awful Win 10. Glad I'm not into this game anyway. I'll hold out with Win 7 as long as I can. Glad all my games still let me play with that.
    SlyLoKMrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Leiloni said:
    Win 10 lol wtf? They have an 8 year old CPU that came out years before Win 10 was a thing, and a several years old GPU, but we all need to have upgraded our older computers to the completely awful Win 10. Glad I'm not into this game anyway. I'll hold out with Win 7 as long as I can. Glad all my games still let me play with that.
    Windows 10 is a great operating system "with the exception" of its intrusive Cortana and suggestions for movies and whatnot.

And that can be turned off if you do some internet sleuthing as it's f'ing annoying.
    MrMelGibsonTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    Leiloni said:
    Windows 10 is a great operating system "with the exception" of its intrusive Cortana and suggestions for movies and whatnot.

And that can be turned off if you do some internet sleuthing as it's f'ing annoying.
    Yea, I "uninstalled" Cortana as much as Windows would let me.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited August 2018
    I must have signed up before since the link doesn't have anything. And windows 10 is better than 7 in every way.
    MrMelGibson
    edited August 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Leiloni said:

It's not even that. I have it at work and they must have Cortana turned off because I've never seen it. But there's a TON of things that are buggy, or work differently, or just don't exist compared to Win 7. It's the little everyday things you need or use and for a long time after we got Win 10 at work I was just irritated, trying to do what I had to to adjust and figure things out. I don't need to go through that headache at home where all I use it for is recreational activities. Win 10 is a shitshow designed for tablets but used primarily on PC. Worst design decision ever.

I legitimately had a running list of problems in an email chain with this one IT guy. Some things they could fix and were mind boggling as to why they didn't work to begin with. Some things were just "features" that are completely dumb. Honestly I'm re-reading this email chain I had with IT and it's so stupid. I could type forever because that's how much went wrong or just works differently in completely unhelpful or downright problematic ways.Not doing all of that by myself at home.