Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I may give the leader a try

ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

I was over at my friends house today and he was trying to persuade me to buy and play WoW. The graphics seem really good but a little cartonnish/japanamated but I may can get over that. He said the PvP servers were great! So, after all of my non-WoW remarks that I made, I may join after all.

Comments

• magicalstevemagicalsteve Member Posts: 116
    Just out of curiosity, what are the PvP servers like in WoW?

How exactly do the rules differ from normal servers?

• ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

Ok, first and foremost I have NEVER actually played WoW and I have never played PvP but I have always been for it because it seems more "realistic" than consentual.....etc

My friend says that the PvP servers of WoW......the 15> areas are non-pvp but everything else???? You are free game, so beware!!! I will be buying this game for the very first time this week!!!

Me?

UO!!! Just got old!

SWG!!! Just Fuct up!!

Here I go! Heads first....!.....!

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I used to play WoW on a PvP server.

Basically 1-15 is only consensual PvP, but once you get into the
    alliance or horde controlled areas, you are fair game, there are
    certain areas in which you will have a  greater concentration of bad
    guys.

God I forget the areas, but from lvl 20-50, depending on the more
    popular areas, you will be heavily ganked and depending on what faction.

Ashenvale for one, i remember i got ganked like 10 times in 3 hours,
    then again I was horde, and alliance always have a number advantage.
    Also, the rainforest place of booty bay is by far the absolute worst
    place to be as a horde player, i mean if you're playing in that area
    during peak times just forget it, you will be gang banged. Then again
    as a horde player you can nail alliance but the alliance are so wierd
    in that if you gank a few low levels, within 15 minutes they have lvl
    60 reinforcements.

I actually probably had over 700 ganks as an orc hunter so I did my
    fair share of ganking, so I really can't complain. But once into the
    hostile territory expect to be ganked. If you go hunter, you should be
    able to avoid a lot of ganks unless you are an idiot.

I was always surprised at how many alliance hunters i owned who didn't
    see me coming on the minimap, i only got surprised maybe 3 or 4 times
    as a hunter because I coudl see people from the minimap.

In short, PvP server is fun but can be so frustrating at high traffic
    areas like ashenvale, booty bay rainforest (i forget name), and some
    other places between 20-50. I also used to gank in towns so you could
    run into A-holes who'll gank you in neutral towns.

Anyway enjoy.

Cryomatrix

p.s. i'm not sure you know what ganked means, but that means you're
    basically killed in a ridiculously unfair fight,  Like lvl 60 vs
    anything less than lvl 59 or a number of lvl 60's vs a normal lvl 60.

p.p.s You should go horde, it is more interesting that way, you'll feel
    like the hunted more so than the hunter. Also, i think the community is
    better as a horde.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I used to play WoW on a PvP server.

Basically 1-15 is only consensual PvP, but once you get into the alliance or horde controlled areas, you are fair game, there are certain areas in which you will have a  greater concentration of bad guys.

God I forget the areas, but from lvl 20-50, depending on the more popular areas, you will be heavily ganked and depending on what faction.

Ashenvale for one, i remember i got ganked like 10 times in 3 hours,
    then again I was horde, and alliance always have a number advantage. Also, the rainforest place of booty bay is by far the absolute worst place to be as a horde player, i mean if you're playing in that area during peak times just forget it, you will be gang banged. Then again as a horde player you can nail alliance but the alliance are so wierd in that if you gank a few low levels, within 15 minutes they have lvl 60 reinforcements.

I actually probably had over 700 ganks as an orc hunter so I did my fair share of ganking, so I really can't complain. But once into the hostile territory expect to be ganked. If you go hunter, you should be able to avoid a lot of ganks unless you are an idiot.

I was always surprised at how many alliance hunters i owned who didn't see me coming on the minimap, i only got surprised maybe 3 or 4 times as a hunter because I coudl see people from the minimap.

In short, PvP server is fun but can be so frustrating at high traffic areas like ashenvale, booty bay rainforest (i forget name), and some other places between 20-50. I also used to gank in towns so you could run into A-holes who'll gank you in neutral towns.

Anyway enjoy.

Cryomatrix

p.s. i'm not sure you know what ganked means, but that means you're basically killed in a ridiculously unfair fight,  Like lvl 60 vs anything less than lvl 59 or a number of lvl 60's vs a normal lvl 60.

p.p.s You should go horde, it is more interesting that way, you'll feel like the hunted more so than the hunter. Also, i think the community is better as a horde.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Let me add that to be effective in PvP after 60 you are gonna have to raid more then you PvP. Get ready for 4-5 hours of raiding for gear after level 60 not to mention hours spent gathering mats and getting Fire Resistance gear from 5 man instance dungeons for raids like MC and BWL. Battleground PvP is worthless because the gear there is dwarfed by what you can get in the raid dungeons. Oh you'll have to toss your PvP spec aside untill get all your PvP gear from raid dungeons. If you don't respect for PvE effectiveness then it's going to make you less effective in PVE raids.

If PvP in WoW was not hindered and latched to 40 man raids WoW would have a very nice PvP system. They should of made PvP servers with upgraded epic loot in 5 man instances and no raid instances. This way you could focus more on PvP and less on raiding for gear. Hopefully the upcoming WAR Online will have a PvP enviroment minus the L2 style grinding, boring raids of WoW, but tons of fun endgame PvP to keep people happy.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Basically the difference is that in PvE is not possible to kill you until you flag yourself for PvP, either willingly by typing /pvp, by attacking a pvp enabled npc or pc OR by healing a pvp enabled npc or pc.

In PvP, your pvp flag is set depending on what region you are in (you can still do all the above, but in addition). The World is divided in Alliance regions (6), Horde regions (5) and Contested regions (gazzillions). The newbie areas, levels 1-20, are usually either Horde or Alliance so that you can growp up a little pvp-free so to speak, but the minute you enter a contested region, you are fair target for any enemy that come across.

This at least in theory, in practice certain areas sees a lot more PvP than others. Stranglethorn Vale, as mentioned, is friendly nicknamed "gangthorn vale" because there ganking groups run rampant, both for alliance and horde. Probably for the presence of the Arena there and its reward chest.

Other areas tend to be more quiet, but the possibility of enemy encounter is always there and that is the big difference between PvE server and PvP server.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"