Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I gotta admit....

cumbomcumbom Member CommonPosts: 544
If they brought SWG back to Pre-CU I wouldn't play.

That being said I won't touch the NGE with someone else's poll

But to be honest with you I loved SWG at launch.... before everyone figured armor out, but then the first RUSH happened and Star Wars turned into pet wars.

That's when the game started getting bad... but I stuck through it.

After pets were nerfed, in came the AT-STs (AT-ATs?, I forget) and they wiped everyone out.

I left about 3 months after launch.  Came back to check out the vehicles... it was pretty cool, but then I discovered everyone was hologrinding. DAMNIT!

No real groups going on.... we used to go out with doctors, medics, rangers, Squad leaders and build massive camps and die a million times trying to kill Krayts.

I tried the holo grind, but gave it up and became a Rifleman/CH even tho it was a gimped class.

Then I heard about defense stacking and truly realized that what was once SWG, and the Pet Wars, was now Melee Wars/Jedi Grinding.

I thought... how boring is this to be a Star Wars game where everyone is running around with swords, hammers, poles, and axes, or unarmed.

I was halfway through BH and found out Jedi can't be killed by a BH/RM because my defenses were to low... in fact Jedi couldn't be killed by anything but a TKM defense stacker.

I cancelled again.

Came back again... remembered why I cancelled, and cancelled again.

The CU brought me back.

I for the most part enjoyed the CU.

I thought it was more balanced than it was before... of course it still needed more balancing, and many classes needed entire revamps.

But all in all I truly enjoyed the CU... bugs and exploits made me quit soon before the NGE came.

I played the NGE on my GFs account.

I was horrified.

My god did it suck.

I would rather play Pre-CU SWG than the NGE, but to be honest I wouldn't likely play that either... however I would give it another go for a short amount of time on an emu server.

The good old days

So to be different I am calling for SOE to bring back PRE-NGE SWG!  But truthfully, would I actually give money to SOE again?

Probably not.

SWG RIP
moctodumegws
Can't WAIT!

Comments

• s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186
    For me CU was fun, but it just didn't have the star wars feel I got from pre cu
  • cumbomcumbom Member CommonPosts: 544

lol that was just my point, that on every planet everyone had melee weapons but no blasters? lol that seemed like EQ not Star Wars.  But I was talking about pre-CU, post CU Guns were good again

SWG RIP
    moctodumegws
    Can't WAIT!

• s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186
    I remember when melee was better than using guns, there was alot of talk that SOE was using SWG as a test for changes in EQ. I wonder if there was any truth in that..
  • microampmicroamp Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by cumbom
    I was halfway through BH and found out Jedi can't be killed by a BH/RM because my defenses were to low... in fact Jedi couldn't be killed by anything but a TKM defense stacker.

You should have gone to Master BH before giving up on being a BH. I was  a MBH with 0-0-4-0 Ranger; and could easily take on Jedi on Endor and some on Dathomir (I think that was the planet with Rancors).  I used Scatter pistol and targeted their mind. Except for one Jedi where his buffs were running out and his health was "low" compared to his Action buff. Just burned his butt majorly before he tried making to the water. Couple shots later, dead :D

I needed the 0-0-4-0 Ranger because shortly after I got MBH, the devs screwed up and the tracking droids couldn't track any Jedi, giving waypoints 0,0. So I dropped whatever skills points I had left over and dumped it into Ranger so  I could track humans as long as I had a general area to find Jedi, I usually could find them even though the devs didn't want me too. :D Yes conspiracy! :P

Then after about a month or too, the devs screwed up even more and I couldn't even attack a Jedi no matter what. Then I quit playing, got fed up with the bugs.
  • VexinVexin Member Posts: 297

lol that was just my point, that on every planet everyone had melee weapons but no blasters? lol that seemed like EQ not Star Wars.  But I was talking about pre-CU, post CU Guns were good again

Lightsabers are melee weapons. 

Not everybody in the Star Wars saga has blasters.  How boring would that be, with everbody only having the choice of what kind of blaster to use for your weapon.  If it is lack of choice and depth that you want, I wonder why you don't like the NGE over CU or pre-CU Galaxies?

See, this is where everything failed.  Everybody wanted the game to be the way they wanted it or thought it should be (can you say more Star Warsy and Iconic?), instead of everybody adjusting themselves to the game.  SOE's unforgivable crime was listening to any vocal minority who wanted it their way, and thinking that would satisfy everybody.  They should have had the insight to let the vocal-minority-of-the-week burn themselves out and move onto another game, leaving the heartier players who know how to adjust to a game.  This would (might?) have lead to controlled improvements that kept as much balance as possible and really improved the game instead of these drastic and traumatic experience-altering changes that really put SOE into a gray area with regard to actionable breaches of the EUA (game play changing is one thing; totally changing the game to something hardly close to its original form is quite something else).

If there's one thing we should all have learned from the past with SOE, it's that you need to be careful what you wish for in regard to SWG, because it always ends up being worse than what you had. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    As ye SOE, so shall ye weep.

• cumbomcumbom Member CommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by Vexin

Lightsabers are melee weapons. 

Not everybody in the Star Wars saga has blasters.  How boring would that be, with everbody only having the choice of what kind of blaster to use for your weapon.  If it is lack of choice and depth that you want, I wonder why you don't like the NGE over CU or pre-CU Galaxies?

See, this is where everything failed.  Everybody wanted the game to be the way they wanted it or thought it should be (can you say more Star Warsy and Iconic?), instead of everybody adjusting themselves to the game.  SOE's unforgivable crime was listening to any vocal minority who wanted it their way, and thinking that would satisfy everybody.  They should have had the insight to let the vocal-minority-of-the-week burn themselves out and move onto another game, leaving the heartier players who know how to adjust to a game.  This would (might?) have lead to controlled improvements that kept as much balance as possible and really improved the game instead of these drastic and traumatic experience-altering changes that really put SOE into a gray area with regard to actionable breaches of the EUA (game play changing is one thing; totally changing the game to something hardly close to its original form is quite something else).

If there's one thing we should all have learned from the past with SOE, it's that you need to be careful what you wish for in regard to SWG, because it always ends up being worse than what you had. 

See what you've done is misunderstandimate me

Its not lack of choice I sought it was more choice.

I wanted to be able to effectively play the game without being herded into a narrow selection of classes... which at the time were all melee classes.

I wanted the choice of playing a ranged class... a ranged class that could function equally as well as a melee class.

Balance.

It wasn't there.  The CU was a first step to getting that done, but TBH it wasn't the only step that could have accomplished it.

Sure there wasn't a great deal of balance between the classes at that point... but a valid argument could be that balance could have been struck without revamping the combat system.

Anyways my only point was that IMO the CU was better thant pre-CU and Pre-CU is better than NGE.

Lets face it though.... its SOE's fault for releasing a game that was bug ridden and completely unbalanced in the first place... were just discussing which screwed up version of the same game is worst

SWG RIP
    moctodumegws
    Can't WAIT!