Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for turn-based historical strategy. Maybe Total War?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I'm in the mood for a turn-based historical strategy game that isn't too huge in scope.  I'll probably look on Steam.  Any recommendations?  Possibly the Total War series?  I believe they have a Japanese themed one.

Thanks!

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    The Total War series is good if you enjoy managing battles in real time.  It gets a bit tedious after awhile and the auto resolve in some of the titles is brutal.  The current fan fave is Rome II.  I enjoyed the TW: Warhammer game, but that is obviously not historical.   

I prefer the Hegemony series, which has a new version, Hegemony III set in ancient Greece, on Steam. 

I'm going to throw the Dominions series in here as well, 5 being the most recent, although 3 is also recommended by fans.  Not historical as such, but extremely interesting game play and worth a look.   

Each of these is very different from the others and brings a different perspective to turn-based strategy.  All are on Steam. 

Hope you find something you enjoy. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thanks!  I mistakenly thought Total War was turn-based.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Thanks!  I mistakenly thought Total War was turn-based.
    It's not turn based but you can pause all the action and give orders. It makes it much more manageable. If you've never tried a TotalWar title, I would highly recommend trying one. I really enjoyed both Romes and  Shogun 2. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    There you go, take a look, a site that have all strategy games ever made, well almost everyone.

Scorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Maurgrim said:
    There you go, take a look, a site that have all strategy games ever made, well almost everyone.

Greta place to start looking for sure
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2018
       Also may want to look at

Most games in the genre are Huge in scope ... there are alot of games but that really cuts alot of them out ...

Also ill recommend a tweener of sorts and i i know its not Turn Based , but the pacing is very well done and the game is excellent

• BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23

I play a lot of Total War, mostly Napoleon or Empire since I enjoy that period of history.  The overworld map stuff is turn based, like moving and recruiting troops and upgrading towns but the battles are real time.  The battles are my favorite part, especially when the npc army charges my "undefended" artillery units only to get whole regiments cut down by canister shot... I can have a messed up sense of humor lol.  Medieval 2 is decently fun too if you like that period of history.  Pixilated Apolla on Youtube posts videos of Total War battles, They can be very entertaining to watch if you are curious.

Europa Universalis 4 is good too for a grand strategy game but the scope is huge and it always turns into a war of attrition between the largest countries. Although I've put waaay too many hours into it and enjoyed it, it definitely lacks in areas like battles and the way region development works.

I have been looking for new strategy games too so thanks everyone else for suggestions.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Does anyone have experience playing Expeditions: Conquistador?