Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW endgame

joerockshahajoerockshaha Member UncommonPosts: 73
Hey so I've been thinking about rejoining wow but one of the biggest things holding me up is the end game. I'm asking because im a casual player right now with quite a bit going. About to be an emt and saving for fire academy in the spring. 

How is it for casual people in the endgame? How hard is it for someone like myself to get gear and not feel overwhelmed by being behind on the gear treadmill when new content comes out? 

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    There is no such thing as being behind the gear treadmill in WoW.  They constantly have catch up mechanics.  So even the most casual can do end game.  That being said, a casual isn't going to be clearing raids at the pace that the mythic raiders are.  Casuals aren't going to be doing mythic + dungeons either. 

Right now, if you buy the game, and boost yourself to 110, you will be a 120 in 3 days of casual play.  The first raid won't be released until September.

You have plenty of time to gear up.  You don't have plenty of time to get on a roster at a Mythic level raiding guild or a Heroic one for that matter.  But one that normally does normal mode or just LFR will take anyone that breathes.

There is no rush unless you want to be on the leading edge.  Leading edge requires a commitment that no casual can keep up with.  It is their second job to run raids and they treat it like a job and don't tolerate delays caused by anyone.  If you don't know the encounter like the back of your hand, have the absolute best gear, spec and rotation, you get the boot.  They aren't about seeing the content, but beating it as quickly as humanly possible.

WoW is 100% casual friendly... just be sure you understand what casual actually means... gear, but not the absolute best gear... achievements, but not the same achievements... progress, but not the same progress.  You have 2 years to complete the game.  It will still allow you to do all the content that was released on day 1 on day 720.
    BadSpockAmatheLeiloniklash2def
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    OP You say "rejoining"  when was the last time you played ? From a casual perspective its basically the same endgame from Legion and very similiar to WOD MOP in the sense you LFR get bored and transmog. Legion and BFA introduced a new grind in the form of legendary/azerite where you grind this resource that unlocks special attributes on your gear. 

Overall BFA is as grindy or casual as you choose to make it . From what it sounds like you are itching for a MMO to play that won't interfere with getting your career in order and i think WOW is perfect for this, Not a perfect game lol but perfect for what you are looking for. Congrats on becoming a EMT and goodluck with the FD academy
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• joerockshahajoerockshaha Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I really appreciate that my friend!! 

What all is there to do at endgame? Aside from dungeons. Also during the what is sure to be the long ques for them, what is there for us to do. 

• joerockshahajoerockshaha Member UncommonPosts: 73
    @thunderC i must have been typing my previous post when you commented but thanks!! You hit the nail in the coffin. Havent really played since the 1st patch in WoD. 

Is there still something like the garrison? Also ive heard that the game now scales monsters. Is that true? Id still like to be able to breeze through opd content like before

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    There are World Quests, Warmode (the newest attempt at Open World PVP), Looking for Raid (lowest/easiest level of raiding - Pick Up Group [PUG]), Normal Dungeons, Heroic Dungeons, Mythic Dungeons, and then Scaling in Difficulty Mythic Plus Dungeons.  There are also random enemy 3 player activities called Island Expeditions (they vary in difficulty from normal to mythic and also a PVP variant).  Raids (including the aforementioned LFR) open September 4th.  The new PVE raid called Warfronts (20 man raids) for Stormgarde in Arathi Highlands opens on 9/4 as well.  Finally, the new PVP season opens 9/4.  They have also implemented 1v1 ranked duels.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    btdt said:
    There is no such thing as being behind the gear treadmill in WoW.  They constantly have catch up mechanics.  So even the most casual can do end game.  That being said, a casual isn't going to be clearing raids at the pace that the mythic raiders are.  Casuals aren't going to be doing mythic + dungeons either. 

Right now, if you buy the game, and boost yourself to 110, you will be a 120 in 3 days of casual play.  The first raid won't be released until September.

You have plenty of time to gear up.  You don't have plenty of time to get on a roster at a Mythic level raiding guild or a Heroic one for that matter.  But one that normally does normal mode or just LFR will take anyone that breathes.

There is no rush unless you want to be on the leading edge.  Leading edge requires a commitment that no casual can keep up with.  It is their second job to run raids and they treat it like a job and don't tolerate delays caused by anyone.  If you don't know the encounter like the back of your hand, have the absolute best gear, spec and rotation, you get the boot.  They aren't about seeing the content, but beating it as quickly as humanly possible.

WoW is 100% casual friendly... just be sure you understand what casual actually means... gear, but not the absolute best gear... achievements, but not the same achievements... progress, but not the same progress.  You have 2 years to complete the game.  It will still allow you to do all the content that was released on day 1 on day 720.
    Mmmmm .... I don't think anyone is hitting 120 in three days of "casual" play.  To me Casual play implies a couple hours a day at a reasonable pace where you actually read the quest text.  I'd say five to seven days of casual play and you're 120.
    My sister-in-law did it in 3 days and I would classify her a typical casual player.  She doesn't do mythic dungeons, or raid beyond LFR, just levels alts and does dungeons occasionally with her guild.  No energy drinks, 24/7 play from her.  She has a kid, she home schools, and is off and about doing stuff most of the time outside of the house.  Casual to the "T".

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018
    btdt said:

Mmmmm .... I don't think anyone is hitting 120 in three days of "casual" play.  To me Casual play implies a couple hours a day at a reasonable pace where you actually read the quest text.  I'd say five to seven days of casual play and you're 120.
    Actually, multiple hours a day wouldn't make my cut of casual, either.  That's regular play.  Considering most folks have full-time jobs, sleep at least 8 hours a night...  Then two hours is is 25% of the waking, non-job time one has every day.  So someone who plays a few hours each day is dedicating roughly 25% of their total free time to one activity (one game in one activity, no less).

EDIT- and let's not forget that 25% is a portion of time that has to be shared with eating, grooming, cleaning, etc..

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    btdt said:

Actually, multiple hours a day wouldn't make my cut of casual, either.  That's regular play.  Considering most folks have full-time jobs, sleep at least 8 hours a night...  Then two hours is is 25% of the waking, non-job time one has every day.  So someone who plays a few hours each day is dedicating roughly 25% of their total free time to one activity (one game in one activity, no less).

EDIT- and let's not forget that 25% is a portion of time that has to be shared with eating, grooming, cleaning, etc..
    Casuals can dedicate extra time on an expansion release and then get back to the norm.
    btdt said:

Casuals can dedicate extra time on an expansion release and then get back to the norm.
    While true, it doesn't change the fact that spending multiple hours a day on one game doesn't seem, to me, to be in any way "casual" play.

I casually play HOTS.  Meaning I play a match or two on average a day, 20-40 minutes total (excluding queue times where I'm alt-tabbed).  Playing two hours a day would be over twice that many matches.
    [Deleted User]

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    A couple of years ago I started completely over - level 1 - and I reached end game in several months. You will be fine.
    MadFrenchie

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm actually playing an hour or two every night since launch and I'm 116, and actually reading every quest and following the story for the first time in forever.

I'm finding that I'm getting more out of the game by knowing the story this time around. It makes me want to start at level 1's again on each side and read it all, all the way through....

The catch is that going that slow tends to let me relax a little too much and neck snap every night, which is great fun for my Discord group when I fall asleep with my finger on the Talk button so all can hear me snore like a train wreck....

Gut Out!
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

What, me worry?

Gutlard said:
    I'm actually playing an hour or two every night since launch and I'm 116, and actually reading every quest and following the story for the first time in forever.

I'm finding that I'm getting more out of the game by knowing the story this time around. It makes me want to start at level 1's again on each side and read it all, all the way through....

The catch is that going that slow tends to let me relax a little too much and neck snap every night, which is great fun for my Discord group when I fall asleep with my finger on the Talk button so all can hear me snore like a train wreck....

Gut Out!
    I managed to get to 120 just now - and I'm also reading all quest text, and last sunday I didn't touch my computer.
    That's casual.
    And I still haven't finished the last zone... loving the story so far.

This expansion is definitely worth playing through slowly, reading everything. The local lore is just great, and often very funny too.
    That is where I would be with mine if I weren't simultaneously playing through with a character in both factions.  The Pally is 116, the lock is 114 atm.
    [Deleted User]

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2018
    As was mentioned before its virtually impossible to get "left behind" in wow in terms of gear unless you just dont play. Since legion, every patch pretty much raises the "soft cap" on rewards (dungeon/wq ilvl gear increase as patches release). Also as more people get geared, "harder" stuff gets easier to carry, so its easier to get into low tier m+ etc. All wow really is now is a time game. People doing the "hardest" content just get rewarded faster, not really more.
    [Deleted User]