Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action Combat Shown in Latest Stream Event & Full Stream Replay - Ashes of Creation Videos - MMORPG.

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAction Combat Shown in Latest Stream Event & Full Stream Replay - Ashes of Creation Videos - MMORPG.com

During last night's Ashes of Creation Twitch stream, the team showed off some new combat footage showing the growth of development. The minute-long snip was posted on YouTube by Hand of Unity and it comes with the usual caveat that "the animations are not representative of the final product" and so forth. However, they are a far pace from earlier combat videos and doubtless representative of the forthcoming alpha.

Read the full story here

Comments

• achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Looks better and better with each update.
    This is goona be good
    MaurgrimRemyVorenderdarkopexkenguru23Zorlofechocolate42069SabracAngreeegamerGaladournMikeha
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    It will be interesting to see how the game performs in large scale PvP with all those effects.
    WellspringAlomarchocolate42069SabracJamesGoblinMrMelGibsonGaladournmetareal

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

It will be interesting to see how the game performs in large scale PvP with all those effects.

As in all games turn down graphic, nothing new here.
    Alomarchocolate42069Kyleran
    edited August 2018
    Maurgrim said:

That’s a very ignorant position to take IMHO.
    There are benefits and negatives to engines.  This is a combat demo video. It’s showing lots of effects with just a tiny amount of players fighting.  In a siege there will be far more.   I am sure they are aware of that.   I think it will be interesting to see how they address that.   If their solution is simply “turn down graphic” it will be quite disappointing (and likely unsuccessful). So let’s hope they have a better plan that that one.
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    PhryultimateduckPuReDusTAlomarchocolate42069JamesGoblinceh430ConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonScotand 3 others.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited August 2018
    Bunny hoping combat. :o

Alomaralyndale
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Very disappointing so far. Looks exactly like ESOs flighty, non impact combat
    chocolate42069MikehaLeiloniKyleranAngreeegamerGaladournSolancerbcbully[Deleted User]MagnumPCIand 2 others.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited August 2018
    Uh oh.. skill based combat. Inb4 half the community freaks out.
    Post edited by mcrippins on
    bobbymcswansonRueTheWhirlLeiloniThuplibcbully
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Has potential and liking what I see more and more, looking forward to trying it in 2020.
    chocolate42069
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Like warframe combat
    Mikeha
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I really like the way this game is coming along, its still got a long way to go but I can see the potential in this one.

I am also glad that these are not the final animations as they need to have more oommphhh like GW2 has rather than ESO style animations that look like your tickling the enemy. The effects also need toning down a bit as they will be mega distracting in large scale battles.
    chocolate42069Leiloni
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96

Daft said:

Like warframe combat

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like progress from what they had before but Im not a fan of the weird tight camera and motion blurring.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Officially on my radar after seeing this video. Seems like it will have some crisp engaging combat as the game evolves and gets completed.
    chocolate42069
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It looks exactly like For Honor with magic now....
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Ashes of Creation... you now have my attention.

chocolate42069MrMelGibsonThupliGaladourn
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Another action combat mmo...it looks pretty, but what will make it better than bdo, archeage, aion, or gw2? Or the 1000, ok maybe not quite 1000, other mmos with action combat?

Twitch based combat is over represented in mmos. Hoping aoc kind of leans back to the thought/ability based combat side of things they showed previously.
    makevaliMikehaAlomarLeilonimcrippinsdjnj2000qomaThuplibcbullyGaladourn
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Maurgrim said:

That’s a very ignorant position to take IMHO.
    There are benefits and negatives to engines.  This is a combat demo video. It’s showing lots of effects with just a tiny amount of players fighting.  In a siege there will be far more.   I am sure they are aware of that.   I think it will be interesting to see how they address that.   If their solution is simply “turn down graphic” it will be quite disappointing (and likely unsuccessful). So let’s hope they have a better plan that that one.

This has been an issue in most MMOS for years to some extent, some worse than others. Even after all these years people accept that fact in GW2 sadly. If you want to avoid skill lag, set PC settings to potato during large events. Honestly I think if you spent 3k on building a PC it should be able to run at full frames no mater how people are around.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138

Brizlyn said:

Another action combat mmo...it looks pretty, but what will make it better than bdo, archeage, aion, or gw2? Or the 1000, ok maybe not quite 1000, other mmos with action combat?

Twitch based combat is over represented in mmos. Hoping aoc kind of leans back to the thought/ability based combat side of things they showed previously.

Probably that's where their node system comes in (which is what got my attention of this mmo in the first place), have heard a lot about it but haven't seen it in practice, i'll reserve my interest in the game until i see it in action but considering how much the community had asked for improvements on the combat can't blame them for focusing on that first.

We'll see how all turns out but they seem to be making progress tbh.
    djnj2000
  • makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Looks great! I'm excited from watching this video. But, they better not make the game subscription model that would be a deal-breaker!
    Mikeha
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Camera is too close for 3rd person
    makevali said:
    Looks great! I'm excited from watching this video. But, they better not make the game subscription model that would be a deal-breaker!
    Didn’t they already say it was sub based?

Thats one of the reasons I’m watching it.  I think we have enough F2P lootbox/labor potion type games available.  Time for some balance.

kenguru23BillMurphyAlomarLeiloniThupli

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Turning into action combat is a down mark for me personally. Making it a super fast paced, even more button mashing fest.
    AlomarLeiloniqomaSolancerThuplibcbully
  • AngreeegamerAngreeegamer Member UncommonPosts: 59

Brizlyn said:

Reddit honestly did a better job of covering this, since for starters they actually linked to the full video clip:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/9849tf/news_ashes_of_creation_is_streaming_their_new/

"For [Intrepid's] finalized combat system, they plan to allow players the option to spec into up to 75% in either Action, or Tab oriented combat which will allow players to hybridize their characters to fit their specific play-style. "
    RemyVorenderLeiloniThupli
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited August 2018
    Well it's running on Unreal Engine 4, so my excitement has subsided a bit. I don't think any MMORPG dev has tamed that beast to run remotely decent with a bunch of players on the screen.

Outside of this, my sole problem with tab targeting is projectiles. I absolutely hate playing a game where a projectile is coming at me and I can't dodge it. It just doesn't resolve in my brain. I think it's quite ridiculous seeing a fireball curving stupidly to hit me.

I also don't like when I'm looking at something and attempting to melee it but the tab target is elsewhere so it doesn't register.

This is why I tend to lean towards MMORPGs that have methodical action combat and some rooted animations so there is risk vs reward during combat for everybody. If I make a mistake my opponents shouldn't have to be Daigo Umehara to punish my miss. On the flipside they shouldn't be able to hit me just because they just have tab target sitting on me.

TL;DR

UE4 doesn't belong in MMORPGs (right now)

&

Tab target doesn't belong anywhere close to action based combat. I think it's better suited for turn-based game play which is a different type of fun.
    JamesGoblinAngreeegamerAlomarMrMelGibsonRain_Deathravenkillerqueerbcbully
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Well it's running on Unreal Engine 4, so my excitement has subsided a bit. I don't think any MMORPG dev has tamed that beast to run remotely decent with a bunch of players on the screen.

Outside of this, my sole problem with tab targeting is projectiles. I absolutely hate playing a game where a projectile is coming at me and I can't dodge it. It just doesn't resolve in my brain. I think it's quite ridiculous seeing a fireball curving stupidly to hit me.

I also don't like when I'm looking at something and attempting to melee it but the tab target is elsewhere so it doesn't register.

This is why I tend to lean towards MMORPGs that have methodical action combat and some rooted animations so there is risk vs reward during combat for everybody. If I make a mistake my opponents shouldn't have to be Daigo Umehara to punish my miss. On the flipside they shouldn't be able to hit me just because they just have tab target sitting on me.

TL;DR

UE4 doesn't belong in MMORPGs (right now)

&

Tab target doesn't belong anywhere close to action based combat. I think it's better suited for turn-based game play which is a different type of fun.
    Connected to that, they are supposed to somehow move from 1v1s and couple other things shown so far to launching an UE4 MMORPG...next year?? 
     W...aaagh?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Camera is too close for 3rd person

Huh, I was actually thinking "finally, a 3rd person view that doesn't reveal everything around the player."

Why should the players get a 360 bird's eye view? It ruins the idea of where you need to be on the battlefield in relation to attackers who might get you from the side or behind.

I'd like to see more of this.
    RemyVorenderkillerqueer
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo