Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soulbound Studios Looking for 'Subject Matter Experts' - Chronicles of Elyria - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageSoulbound Studios Looking for 'Subject Matter Experts' - Chronicles of Elyria - MMORPG.com

Chronicles of Elyria News - The Chronicles of Elyria team wants YOU as part of their "subject matter expert program". These folks will demonstrate that they know a particular subject (i.e. history of medieval cooking, leatherworking treatments, etc.) well and can assist the team with researching topics to provide the game with "as much realism as possible" and a "certain immersion level that we desire".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Kudos to them for trying
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I wouldn't worry about realism at this point, I would worry about the core game (still) not being ready...
    MendelDakeruqoma
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

Galadourn said:

I wouldn't worry about realism at this point, I would worry about the core game (still) not being ready...

At this point, I would stop worrying.
    Slapshot1188MendelDakeruGaladournTintagil[Deleted User]Lokero
     W...aaagh?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I think they need experts in game design, engineering and creation more than people that know how candles were made in the Middle Ages.
    JamesGoblinMendelKyleranDakeru[Deleted User]Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    lol oh boy. it's honestly sad. Me and a friend were really excited a couple years back about the game but seeing all this...? ahh what a pity.
    MendelGdemami

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    So, they've exhausted Forged in Fire and have discovered that there aren't TV competition shows covering leatherworking, carpentry and candle making.  That's progress, I guess.  I'm wondering if they've discovered wikipedia or Google yet.

[Deleted User]Slapshot1188itchmon

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Is there a stipend or do they just want this work to be donated?

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Ummm.....google?
    JamesGoblin
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    Waiting for the next announcement:

Dev tier pledge!  Just $500 lets you work 20 hours a week building the game for us!  What a steal!
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinmarcjt20[Deleted User]Diabhual

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I feel all that is needed is PLAUSIBLE realism as too close to actual realism limits a lot of the potential.
    Example,shooting giant pigs from your rifle is not plausible realism,however there is a plethora of ideas that could be acceptable.
    An example of what i don't like it what Fortnite is doing,instant auto building looks very unrealistic,not plausible.It should take some time to build things and should look like your building something,similar to conjuring magic animations.

This tactic is a very old psychology tact,using the term YOU,YOU are helping to build the game,similar to crowd funding,YOU are a founder,a supporter,YOU are the reason this game exists.

The most powerful word on the planet?..."NO".Perhaps some correlation to people doing odd things,if someone says NO it can't be done,they set out to prove them wrong,or NO you are not or should not do that,then out of spite they do it.

The flip side are the happy words and power words that can possibly persuade someone,like as i mentioned ,the word YOU.

IMO this game looked too far,too deep,the old and tried formula has ALWAYS been good,it just needed some fine tuning and a bit of added depth.Quests for example are fine but not if the entire game is full of a couple thousand of them that resemble anything but a quest.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Waiting for the next announcement:

Dev tier pledge!  Just $500 lets you work 20 hours a week building the game for us!  What a steal!

Don’t laugh. They literally have a “sale” going on to celebrate their Kickstarter Anniversary and multiple stretch goals are to allow people to buy more stuff in their store. If people want to spend money to be rewarded with the ability to spend more money... do not doubt that some would pay money in order to work for free.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DiscipledOneDiscipledOne Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I kind of feel sorry for this group. It seems like they have ideas, and want to make a good game but have slowly figured out it takes a long time and a lot of money to put these ideas together into a video game. This is going to cause a couple things, they’re gonna start monetizing everything possible to pay for developement and then it’s gonna take too long to get out there. I hope it’s not DOA, but it feels like a project that could be.
    Gdemami
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Correct move. I just sent an email, asking about one very specific and narrow topic I could advice one. Really hope they are wise enough to tell "Dear OP, thanks, but NO" if it is not needed.

Bakc to topic: yes, their idea is nice. It's like creating a good historical movie. You should know everything: how panties looked like? What food was eaten? What drinks were in fashion, what were women's fashion like? Even fashion of flags and colours, the meaning of colours, the way furniture looked. What about medicine - how bad tooth would be treated? A wound? Some serious illness? That's civilian life, if you plan monks - good luck with monastery life, from clothing to work and how they spent theyir day (how did table of scriptor looked like?). Talking about army? Yes, feel free to study what part was noble, what - simple persons, how each side was armed, how exactly each weapon was inteded to use, how often it was used, how heavier items were transported...and even where there were toilets when army detachement stopped to rest.

You need to know it all. Maybe you won't use, but at least there won't be Roman catapults made from iron firing incendiary balls in German woods...Or in modern time movies, almostr every single German WW2 soldier has Iron cross and MP-38 'machine pistole'.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Correct move. I just sent an email, asking about one very specific and narrow topic I could advice one. Really hope they are wise enough to tell "Dear OP, thanks, but NO" if it is not needed.

Bakc to topic: yes, their idea is nice. It's like creating a good historical movie. You should know everything: how panties looked like? What food was eaten? What drinks were in fashion, what were women's fashion like? Even fashion of flags and colours, the meaning of colours, the way furniture looked. What about medicine - how bad tooth would be treated? A wound? Some serious illness? That's civilian life, if you plan monks - good luck with monastery life, from clothing to work and how they spent theyir day (how did table of scriptor looked like?). Talking about army? Yes, feel free to study what part was noble, what - simple persons, how each side was armed, how exactly each weapon was inteded to use, how often it was used, how heavier items were transported...and even where there were toilets when army detachement stopped to rest.

You need to know it all. Maybe you won't use, but at least there won't be Roman catapults made from iron firing incendiary balls in German woods...Or in modern time movies, almostr every single German WW2 soldier has Iron cross and MP-38 'machine pistole'.
    No, you don't need to know all of that, unless of course your intended audience is history professors. 

If your player base has no clue on the finer historical details you can afford to be "a bit " liberal with the details.

One of the more laughable discussions on the CU threads is regarding the historical accuracy of viking swords being provided in game.

The people making the case are not wrong, but my guess 95% of the CU audience has no clue that swords weren't often used much for a variety of reason.

Of course, gross errors are to be avoided but as games are "fantasy" worlds spot on accuracy with history isn't necessary.

JamesGoblinGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    It certainly would be a crying shame if their Trison and Foxelots weren't historically accurate.
    Slapshot1188KyleranMendelJamesGoblin
    --------------------------------------------
    Kyleran said:

No, you don't need to know all of that, unless of course your intended audience is history professors. 

If your player base has no clue on the finer historical details you can afford to be "a bit " liberal with the details.

One of the more laughable discussions on the CU threads is regarding the historical accuracy of viking swords being provided in game.

The people making the case are not wrong, but my guess 95% of the CU audience has no clue that swords weren't often used much for a variety of reason.

Of course, gross errors are to be avoided but as games are "fantasy" worlds spot on accuracy with history isn't necessary.

I believe that is called "Suspension of Disbelief".  That's the name for it in writing, and I don't see why that shouldn't apply to fictional game worlds as well.  Accuracy isn't as importance as 'apparent accuracy' and 'consistency'.  Like I've always said, you don't need to write about what you know, you write what others will believe that you know.

As for historical accuracy, they have already determined that 'everyone can learn every trade skill', even though the social limitations of acquiring knowledge was strictly regimented.  People with a skill didn't just teach anyone who asked.  It generally required buying a lifelong apprenticeship into a craft.  So, it is likely that everyone who plays is likely to be completely independent, as far as crafting goes.  

WellspringGdemamiTekkon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kyleran said:

That's because they are taking the word "Viking" very specifically as opposed to being a sort of "Flavor" or starting point. On one hand I see their point but on the other hand, given that it's  fantasy world setting with very little really being taken from "the real world" (as far as I can tell) it seems silly to hold on to the idea that a fantasy world Viking would be historically accurate.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Tough crowd, damn! and yet people can't seem to get enough of the next in the endless asian-console-centric-pvp-grinders that are alllll the same bland cookie-cutter stamped p2w. I continue to at the very least give these people credit for trying something interesting and innovative.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am glad they care about getting these type of things right. And I don't see this as wasted time, because they are reaching out to us to volunteer to help out.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Amathe said:
    I am glad they care about getting these type of things right. And I don't see this as wasted time, because they are reaching out to us to volunteer to help out.
    I think they could use some extra help from some volunteer developers more than anything else.....

;)
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    I think they could use some extra help from some volunteer developers more than anything else.....

;)
    Isn’t that what the interns are for?

"Interned with SBS".  That's going to improve any resume.  Desperate times, desperate measures.