Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers - Max Shaefer Says It's an MMO - General Video Podcast

2»

Comments

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yea, the graphics and art here is basically the same style as the other Torchlight games, which came first.
    Silmaris
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Sovrath said:

elveone said:

Sovrath said:

So I'm unclear, runic made torchlight but he left and is making a torchlight game? Does he have the rights?

Yeah, he does and it is not as simple as "he left". In early 2016 Perfect World said to Schaefer "Go and make a new studio, hire whoever you want and develop anything you want and we will cover all the expenses". So he left and founded the studio for the explicit reason of making a Torchlight MMO.

But still pretty simple.

I was trying to say that he was not the initiator of the whole leaving Runic thing and that Echtra and Perfect World who are the IP rights holder of Torchlight are actually on very good terms.
    Silmaris
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I like the art style a lot.
    Silmaris
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Why WTF somebody liking the art style? Some people are weird AF.
    infomatzSilmaris
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Why WTF somebody liking the art style? Some people are weird AF.

What's wrong with it?
    SilmarisFlyByKnight
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    "a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world" -- I like the sound of that. Hope Beta testing shows they're actually pulling it off.
    Silmaris
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I will keep myself under control because ive seen to many disappointments lately. Quietly excited to see how it goes tho.
    SilmarisRPGenieScotTacticalZombeh
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Oyjord said:
    Does the art remind anyone else of Landmark/EverQuest Next?
    Looks exactly landmark
    Silmaris
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RPGenieRPGenie Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Sure would be nice if this turned out well. I've bought and played many mmos but mainly stuck with the same one for almost 14 years now. Really ready for one to keep me from going back every expansion. At least this MMO has a foundation to build on in Torchlight, looking forward to it.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I wonder what possible reason there might be for hom to forget to mention Flagship Studios / Hellgate London. He mentioned everything else..

Maybe because his last try with an ARPG/MMO was terrible? Actually, the game was okay, it was fun, fresh with the sci fi setting and so..but managed terrible. And Mythos was an utter disaster as well.

Maybe third time is the charm, though Torchlight itself also was always missing something. It just couldn't hold up to Diablo 2.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• StevegogogoStevegogogo Member CommonPosts: 1
    That's cool, I love this game so much and I wrote a guide to in my blog https://www.gamepretty.com/torchlight-frontiers-torchlight-mmorpg-revealed/
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    And now we know it's not an mmo. 14 players max.
    FrodoFragins
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    yay! *happy dance*

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    madazz said:
    If it's an instanced game, 14 players is still more than most other instance-only games which only have like, 5.

With "only" 14 players though, the closest analogue again becomes Marvel Heroes.  Although most people probably knew that already.

(for comparison, Marvel Heroes had 10 player raids.  I forget how many players could be crammed into a single midtown instance, though)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    madazz said:
    If it's an instanced game, 14 players is still more than most other instance-only games which only have like, 5.

With "only" 14 players though, the closest analogue again becomes Marvel Heroes.  Although most people probably knew that already.

(for comparison, Marvel Heroes had 10 player raids.  I forget how many players could be crammed into a single midtown instance, though)
    world zones could hold more than that though.  but yes MH is the closest example we have.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Truth is and the same reason they are all doing it is that the MMO is simply a login screen to reinforce a cash shop type game.
    To me this cartoony stuff does not excite me,pretty much same reason i didn't go out and buy the new Dragon Quest.Those dated type graphics should be left alone to the 80's/90's.

I do NOT see any as he puts it "TRUE" MMO incoming,i see a game that plays like a ARPG,pretty much easy soloing but you can make it even easier with a cop op friend.
    This type of game will NOT work as a ARPG,so this tells me it will be full of instances.
    IMO this guy is not telling us the real shimmy of this game design,instead telling us the stuff that makes it sound interesting but will end up Diablo with a login screen and a cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

world zones could hold more than that though.  but yes MH is the closest example we have.
    Ah, the days when a couple of Squirrel Girls and their squirrel armies could practically lag out a world zone...
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    edited January 2019

madazz said:

Uh... Marvel Heroes had a lot more than that in open worlds. The max amount of players this "MMO" will ever allow is 14 players in the open instances. No lobbies, no other areas with more players. 14 MAX. Using your logic I guess Battlefield V is a much larger MMO.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    A mmo in the same way that McDonalds is a restaurant ?

I don't get the fascination with TL2, to me it is a decent but pretty simple arpg, better than some but falling behind Diablo2/3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing maybe even Devillian. They really need to up the complexity from TL2 to get me thrilled.
    But in any case, it could be a nice game even though it is not .. really a mmo. Lets see what they can make for us.