Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMO with subcriptions too cheap? Games too cheap in general?

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    No, they make way too much as it is. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Moirae said:
    No, they make way too much as it is. 
    Disagree. I think $15 is too cheap. Capitalism is great. If they can swing it then swing it.
    [Deleted User]Moirae
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    I never understood the love for a sub and hate for the cash shop.

It's like "I'd pay more for nothing and outraged at the idea of getting something for my money"

Can someone actually explain this to me, in a way that does not sound insane?
    Because people rather pay to play over pay to win or pay to not play.  
    What do you mean by this?

This is very vague and not informative, can you explain with details?
    Meaning people want to pay for a whole game and actually play it.  People do not like pay to win or advantages if you like.  People do not like paying to not have to play the game.  Usually because the game is designed to be unbearable to play.
    Repeating yourself does not explain anything.

Can you give me some examples of what you are talking about, I am actually wondering what you mean by this whole Pay2Win in an MMO, as almost all the MMO's I have played, their is no real Winning from what you get out of the store. Most of it being at best minor convince like storage space, or silly cosmetics, and in some of the more aggressive item shop games, maybe a exp boost, but this does not give any intrinsic advantage, just a minor time saving feature, and even then, since every MMO I have play has a max level, and the cap is the same for everyone, if it takes you a week or a month.. the end is still the end. No one Lost anything as such no one won anything.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'll have to disagree. It seems like bizarro logic. Maybe they should be 100 million made for one person? No. The prices haven't gone up much, but the market has grown immensely.

The problem is they are making products that don't have the quality and appeal to make the money they want to see. For subscriptions, I could see a company offering more for a higher subscription. A publisher could offer access to all their games for $20 ~ $25. In game shops seem to be quite profitable offering extras for those that want to pay more.

I think game companies should look at getting additional income from advertising. No annoying popups, but simple product placement, like they do in movies.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I'll have to disagree. It seems like bizarro logic. Maybe they should be 100 million made for one person? No. The prices haven't gone up much, but the market has grown immensely.

The problem is they are making products that don't have the quality and appeal to make the money they want to see. For subscriptions, I could see a company offering more for a higher subscription. A publisher could offer access to all their games for $20 ~ $25. In game shops seem to be quite profitable offering extras for those that want to pay more.

I think game companies should look at getting additional income from advertising. No annoying popups, but simple product placement, like they do in movies.
    Well, if they made it 1 million a month... then the extreme whales would be left. But they are out there, and they spend more than anyone else combined on games like Star Citizen that aren't even out. They pay so much to most people, on just jpeg images. That vast monthly fee wouldn't be a big deal if a developer aimed at only the extreme whales...they make less money for less maintenance on servers and what not since they'd only have to make the MMO for a small group of people.

Why does a game need to be for EVERYONE? Now I don't say every game needs to be millions. But the occasional MMO or game? If a developer wanted to do something that extreme like you said in the quote, then most wouldn't be able to play but that would not be any downside to the developer if they were to attract the extreme whales that are out there. They'd in a sense make more money if successful, since maintenance costs would be a lot lower due to the smaller amount of people. The hardest part is keeping them there, but every MMO has that problem.
    AlBQuirky

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Well, if they made it 1 million a month... then the extreme whales would be left. But they are out there, and they spend more than anyone else combined on games like Star Citizen that aren't even out. They pay so much to most people, on just jpeg images. That vast monthly fee wouldn't be a big deal if a developer aimed at only the extreme whales...they make less money for less maintenance on servers and what not since they'd only have to make the MMO for a small group of people.

Why does a game need to be for EVERYONE? Now I don't say every game needs to be millions. But the occasional MMO or game? If a developer wanted to do something that extreme like you said in the quote, then most wouldn't be able to play but that would not be any downside to the developer if they were to attract the extreme whales that are out there. They'd in a sense make more money if successful, since maintenance costs would be a lot lower due to the smaller amount of people. The hardest part is keeping them there, but every MMO has that problem.
    I have always believed that a higher quality more focused game should be the current future of MMO's. I think a game would be better made, designed and directed, if they had a direct target market, a specific kind of player in mind for their game, and then focused design around that player.
    TheScavengerAlBQuirkyMadFrenchielaserit
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited August 2018
    Ungood said:

I have always believed that a higher quality more focused game should be the current future of MMO's. I think a game would be better made, designed and directed, if they had a direct target market, a specific kind of player in mind for their game, and then focused design around that player.
    Exactly. So many MMOs want to attract EVERYONE. Casual pvpers. hardcore pvpers. Casual pvers. hardcore pvers. People who hate grouping. People who hate soloing. So many people they try to attract...

Except there is a saying

Try to make everyone happy, and you then make no one happy

Some MMOs in development seem to be attracting a core group of people (I know crowfall is, and I think that camelot game? I dunno much about that one), and that is where the real quality comes from is when they stick to the core group they want to attract. Will it be a game for everyone? Obviously not...but if they do it right, they'll make a good game for that select group of people.
    AlBQuirkyUngoodMrMelGibson

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

It's like "I'd pay more for nothing and outraged at the idea of getting something for my money"

Meaning people want to pay for a whole game and actually play it.  People do not like pay to win or advantages if you like.  People do not like paying to not have to play the game.  Usually because the game is designed to be unbearable to play.

Can you give me some examples of what you are talking about, I am actually wondering what you mean by this whole Pay2Win in an MMO, as almost all the MMO's I have played, their is no real Winning from what you get out of the store. Most of it being at best minor convince like storage space, or silly cosmetics, and in some of the more aggressive item shop games, maybe a exp boost, but this does not give any intrinsic advantage, just a minor time saving feature, and even then, since every MMO I have play has a max level, and the cap is the same for everyone, if it takes you a week or a month.. the end is still the end. No one Lost anything as such no one won anything.
    I had a whole thread about it. Not sure I should address this if you never seen or done the research on this. 

Pay to win or pay for advantage as I said is real.  There are game where you will lose in direct competition to other players who spend money. Look at Archeage for example.  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The gaming market seems flooded.  People no longer have to stick to the same game and it's best and worst parts because it was the only game in town or one of a very few.  Now I've moved on to treating gaming like a buffet and picking the elements from several that I enjoy the most.  I don't pay a sub because none-sub or sub-optional games offer about the same amounts of enjoyment. 
    Aren't there "good and bad" in all aspects "play?"

Did you quit when tagged as "it" playing tag? Did you walk away when chosen to count in hide and seek? Did you enjoy being scored on in a sport? Do you ride a bike downhill only?

It seems to me we have a bad case of "spoilage." As soon as a game gets "tough" (definition varies by player), we start seeking another.

Now, there is a difference between "not as fun" and "downright maddening/boring." It seems that we gamers have many other entertainment outlets we can easily indulge in, instead of sticking with a few games or other entertainment. That's just mny observations and I'm sure there are exceptions.
    I like the tough parts of some games.  That's why I seldom mini-max as it often makes it too easy to blow through content using high stats and less on skill.  I agree there is a difference between challenging content and tedious content but that's usually a personal thing as a lot of the more difficult content requiring skill and timing gets nerfed because of complains from the masses.
    AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    This thread is dumb. No idea how it went so far.
    KrematoryVermillion_Raventhal
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited August 2018
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VhWGQCzAtl8

Probably been watching a bit a bit of Extra Credits. 

Its true though, costs are up so something had to give ergo loot boxes and cash shops
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018
    The gaming market seems flooded.  People no longer have to stick to the same game and it's best and worst parts because it was the only game in town or one of a very few.  Now I've moved on to treating gaming like a buffet and picking the elements from several that I enjoy the most.  I don't pay a sub because none-sub or sub-optional games offer about the same amounts of enjoyment. 
    Aren't there "good and bad" in all aspects "play?"

Did you quit when tagged as "it" playing tag? Did you walk away when chosen to count in hide and seek? Did you enjoy being scored on in a sport? Do you ride a bike downhill only?

It seems to me we have a bad case of "spoilage." As soon as a game gets "tough" (definition varies by player), we start seeking another.

Now, there is a difference between "not as fun" and "downright maddening/boring." It seems that we gamers have many other entertainment outlets we can easily indulge in, instead of sticking with a few games or other entertainment. That's just mny observations and I'm sure there are exceptions.
    I like the tough parts of some games.  That's why I seldom mini-max as it often makes it too easy to blow through content using high stats and less on skill.  I agree there is a difference between challenging content and tedious content but that's usually a personal thing as a lot of the more difficult content requiring skill and timing gets nerfed because of complains from the masses.
    I generally enjoy singleplayer games more for the fun of experiencing the story than anything else.

If I want uber-hard, I generally PvP, because it's a much better feeling type of hard than "oh, now the mobs are programmed to target acquire a second faster and only miss 10% of their shots, harder!!!!!"

EDIT- or even the lazier "harder!" adjustments: nerf my damage output and increase the mobs'!  HARD....  DERRRRP?
    AlBQuirkyjimmywolf

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

I had a whole thread about it. Not sure I should address this if you never seen or done the research on this. 

Pay to win or pay for advantage as I said is real.  There are game where you will lose in direct competition to other players who spend money. Look at Archeage for example.  
    Just link the thread.. I'll go read it.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    no they're not... people are too eager to throw money at garbage though.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyjimmywolf

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    As a note before the actual post, the amount here is all in USD. Also the numbers are examples, but what I "feel" they should be priced due to how expensive it is to make good quality games these days compared to the past. But in any case, games are still far too cheap

In general, games are too cheap...60 dollars isn't very much in todays world. Games should cost over 150 dollars for a brand new game, in how expensive everything else is. Development in todays world is far more expensive than it used to be.

But, MMOs also seem to have by far too cheap subscriptions. For a while, they cost 10 dollars...but then it only went up five dollars to 15. For an MMO to prosper, and also maybe even rely on cash shops less...they really should cost anywhere from 30 (double the price) to even 60 dollars a month of current priced games.

Expansions for example, like BFA are 50 dollars. But the amount should be more 90-140 dollars for how much work has gone into it.

I think companies are afraid of increasing the price to the appropriate amount of how much things cost cause they think people will scoff at the price. But, they really need to not just slightly increase the price...but dramatically increase the price to match todays economy and how expensive it is to develop games.
    What games should cost is largely irrelevant. What matters more is what games can cost. Markets can generally bear only so much when it comes to price... at least one that will be accepted by the vast majority of potential purchasers.

The only thing a dramatic increase in price will get the companies that do it is a substantial drop in revenue, because many will scoff at such a hike.
    Phry
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited August 2018
    Really, the only cost a digital barrel or armor piece costs is the time it takes the salary or hourly paid developer to make it. Wages increase, digital assets do not. You pay the developers to create those assets. The idea that a digital tree costs more to create now than it did 30 years ago is kind of outlandish, don't you think? Digital assets cost nothing. There is no physical material within them like wood, paper, steel, or any other physical aspect that costs actual money.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    AlBQuirky said:
    Really, the only cost a digital barrel or armor piece costs is the time it takes the salary or hourly paid developer to make it. Wages increase, digital assets do not. You pay the developers to create those assets. The idea that a digital tree costs more to create now than it did 30 years ago is kind of outlandish, don't you think? Digital assets cost nothing. There is no physical material within them like wood, paper, steel, or any other physical aspect that costs actual money.
    Increasing wages increases the cost to produce... I don't know where you could possibly think otherwise. On top of that as graphics and cpu capabilities increase so do the demands of the artist or programmer to produce higher quality product. Your whole post is baffling if I'm going to be honest. "actual" money... like wtf. Did you think about it before typing or just go for it?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited August 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    Increasing wages increases the cost to produce... I don't know where you could possibly think otherwise. On top of that as graphics and cpu capabilities increase so do the demands of the artist or programmer to produce higher quality product. Your whole post is baffling if I'm going to be honest. "actual" money... like wtf. Did you think about it before typing or just go for it?
    Simple. The cost is the same because the developer is getting paid, whether they make 1 digital tree or millions of them. The tree costs nothing. The developer creating them does, though. When one creates a road, concrete or asphalt costs money. Therefore, the road costs "something." What does a digital tree cost?

What you're talking about is "value" and that is totally different. "Value" is what someone places on something, anything, and talks others into believing it. "Order now and receive these 6 FREE gifts, valued at $500!" Those PCs, software, and all else "deteriorates in value" for each tree made, since the more the cost is divided up amongst the digital objects, the less it costs, yes? I'm not saying digital items have "no value", just they cost nothing to produce.

Did you think about your response before posting, or just "go along with everyone" who believes the "value" dictated by game companies? By the way, I have a fence that needs whitewashing, but I'd let you do it for $1. Do you buy my "value" set on this?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Millions of gamer's.do the simple math.
    If your game is any good,you should have a million ++.
    15 bucks x1 million is 15 million a month,WAY more money than a developer needs.

IMO devs are too cautious and too afraid.The market is flooded,too many games,too much competition.So they tend to make EASY,fast games,too difficult and might scare customers away so these games end up very shallow.They likely have little to no confidence in their team's abilities,so aim low.

However if a developer really did it right,did their game really well,your easily attaining several million,now we are talking 40++million dollars a month,but they are just too afraid to aim for those goals.
    Instead make something cheap,market it,partner it and hope it sells.
    Moirae

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    You really can't compare a subscription cost to a movie, two totally different things...its like saying I pay $3 for a brick of cheese but $15 for a steak! Therefore cheese should cost more.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    No.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Perhaps the best "trolling" thread I've ever seen lol.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    Games have been the same price since the 1990’s and even in the 80’s
    they absolutely should be priced higher. 
    Studios know this as well but are afraid of the backlash involved with raising the price. 
    For those who say they should be cheaper because of micro transactions well why do you think developers started to do this in the first place? To recoup a larger ROI 
    I worked on a project for the PS3 launch and the team thought of releasing it at a $69.99 price point but Sony would not allow it. Saying market baseline is what it is. Saying gamers won’t spend that kind of money on a game. Which the team found funny considering the hardware was so highly priced. 

Bullshit!!!
    Games in 80s-90s you bought them and that was it now every few months you have to buy new expac which is not really an expac is part of the original game cut in purpose to be sold for more money and how about season pass and subscription those didn't exist in the 80s and 90s.
    How is DLC a default for cut from the original game?
    Like Prey? Or Doom? or Horizon Zero Dawn? Or Zelda? or Dishonored? or Persona 5? Or...you know what? nevermind….that is like, your opinion man. 
    I don't play any of those games I will mention the one I do play Destiny 2 I bought it 99$ client + season pass I was happy thought I was good for as long as Destiny 2 will last when started playing I beat the game in matter of 6-7 hours on 1st day the game was very short and cut but that's not all now the expac I had to purchase it and had to purchase 2nd season pass...
    I don't know which cave you live but that's reality right there.
    I list a whole bunch of games that counter that that you do not play and I am the one living in a cave? Weird. Ok mate, your opinion. No worries! Happy gaming!
    I don't like the games you like the cave comment is cause you act like what I said is my opinion when its a well known fact not knowing it makes you ignorant on the subject.
    What is a well known fact? That some games monetize poorly while others do not? Agreed. 
    Bullshit no game company out there is playing it Mother Theresa they are all after the $$$ shit is actually out of control you forget the EA shitfest lol
    The irony in your statement made me laugh.  Mother Teresa was a monster and only cared about $$.  You should use a better example.
    MadFrenchie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    Studios know this as well but are afraid of the backlash involved with raising the price. 
    For those who say they should be cheaper because of micro transactions well why do you think developers started to do this in the first place? To recoup a larger ROI 
    I worked on a project for the PS3 launch and the team thought of releasing it at a $69.99 price point but Sony would not allow it. Saying market baseline is what it is. Saying gamers won’t spend that kind of money on a game. Which the team found funny considering the hardware was so highly priced. 

Bullshit!!!
    Games in 80s-90s you bought them and that was it now every few months you have to buy new expac which is not really an expac is part of the original game cut in purpose to be sold for more money and how about season pass and subscription those didn't exist in the 80s and 90s.
    Like Prey? Or Doom? or Horizon Zero Dawn? Or Zelda? or Dishonored? or Persona 5? Or...you know what? nevermind….that is like, your opinion man. 
    I don't play any of those games I will mention the one I do play Destiny 2 I bought it 99$ client + season pass I was happy thought I was good for as long as Destiny 2 will last when started playing I beat the game in matter of 6-7 hours on 1st day the game was very short and cut but that's not all now the expac I had to purchase it and had to purchase 2nd season pass...
    I list a whole bunch of games that counter that that you do not play and I am the one living in a cave? Weird. Ok mate, your opinion. No worries! Happy gaming!
    I don't like the games you like the cave comment is cause you act like what I said is my opinion when its a well known fact not knowing it makes you ignorant on the subject.
    What is a well known fact? That some games monetize poorly while others do not? Agreed. 
    Bullshit no game company out there is playing it Mother Theresa they are all after the $$$ shit is actually out of control you forget the EA shitfest lol
    The irony in your statement made me laugh.  Mother Teresa was a monster and only cared about $$.  You should use a better example.
    Yea, she was...  Well, a legend that doesnt live up to the name.
    MrMelGibson

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:
    DeadSpock said:

Bullshit!!!
    Yea, she was...  Well, a legend that doesnt live up to the name.
    Oh and what a legacy she left.

https://www.newsweek.com/mother-teresas-charity-being-investigated-child-trafficking-1027780
    MadFrenchie