Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Sure Which Which Class / Spec to Use Your BfA Boost On? There's a Solution! - World of Warcraft

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNot Sure Which Which Class / Spec to Use Your BfA Boost On? There's a Solution! - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - The World of Warcraft community site has been updated with a new post to help you decide which character to use the Battle for Azeroth boost that came as part of your expansion purchase. The new Class Trial allows you to select a specific class and specialization that will then provide you a chance to play as a 110 through a tutorial, the Battle for Lordaeron and on to obtain the Heart of Azeroth. If it's "the one", you can use your boost or leave it in your alt list for a time while you decide.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    That's actually pretty cool and handy!
    LaviotainfomatzGhavrigg
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    I was half expecting some kind of BuzzFeed quiz or Bartle test. :D
    SBForditchmon
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    edited August 2018
    I wish I could get past the art and cartoon looks of the game. Clearly, these devs are doing an amazing job at catering to the players. Instead of the constant ass fucking you get playing Cryptic's games.
    JeroKane
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I still have my 100 boost from legion on the back burner . Now i have 2 of them sitting on my log in screen, wish i could give them away to someone who would make use of them.
    OzmodanJeroKaneThahar
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Also... using your boost on a trial character automatically gives you a lvl 3 Garrison from WoD expansion. If you boost a new lvl 1 character you dont get any of that, it just skips to current content.
    MrMelGibsoninfomatzitchmon
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Although not playing the game, I actively watch streams and 90% of them playing retribution Paladin with the remaining 10 is frost mage or monk with the feather aura. Was going to hop into the game just because class diversity but meta proves it’s prowess again I guess :(

beLIEve

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited August 2018

Although not playing the game, I actively watch streams and 90% of them playing retribution Paladin with the remaining 10 is frost mage or monk with the feather aura. Was going to hop into the game just because class diversity but meta proves it’s prowess again I guess :(

Streams are not representative of the entire game population. I see a very varied class distribution on my server.
    Post edited by JeroKane on
    LeiloniSBFordOzmodanThahar
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Strange cause most of the streamers play everything else but ret palas and frost mages :O

Also does it really matter what some random streamer plays? Play what you want to play. If you are going to raid and aim for top 20 world sure go ahead and care for what class/spec you should play, but if you aren't aiming so high but want to raid like a normal person than play whatever you want.

My main this expansion will be again my ele shaman. Don't care what people say about ele shammy I enjoy playing it and honestly in dungeons at the moment I outdps better geared people so focus more on mastering your class than just following what everyone else does ;)
    SBFordOzmodan
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Ret Paladin isn't even close to being a 'Meta' level spec lol It's 100% mid range sustain DPS.

It's popular because it's very simple and easy to play, not because it's OP.
    SBFordMegilindirOzmodanitchmonThahar
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018

Ret Paladin isn't even close to being a 'Meta' level spec lol It's 100% mid range sustain DPS.

It's a very effective solo spec.  Multiple damage shields, talented insta-heals for half your health bar on crit, doubled up greater blessings providing great regen and it's own damage shield, a self-damage/heal buff, good AoE and great single target damage...  It's got everything needed to get things done all by its lonesome.  At this point, all in all, I have access to 5 different damage shields.

The rotation is simple, but it has become about working my Haste and other short-duration, renewable combat buffs.  Keeping the Azerite armor haste and secondary stat stacks up is huge for a Ret Paladin, as it can add like 10-15% Haste and ensure you have a constant flow of Holy Power to spend and renew the buffs, as well as substantially increasing your crit rate and Holy damage.

That Haste is important because you need about a 4.7 sec recharge on Crusader Strike to ensure that you get at least one charge back after emptying both charges and using Blade of Justice and Judgement back to back.  Otherwise, you have to throw in Wake of Ashes to ensure you have no downtime between builders, and that's wasteful if you're not on empty Holy Power and/or you're fighting one non-boss mob.
    Octagon7711

It's a very effective solo spec.  Multiple damage shields, talented insta-heals for half your health bar on crit, doubled up greater blessings providing great regen and it's own damage shield, a self-damage/heal buff, good AoE and great single target damage...  It's got everything needed to get things done all by its lonesome.  At this point, all in all, I have access to 5 different damage shields.

The rotation is simple, but it has become about working my Haste and other short-duration, renewable combat buffs.  Keeping the Azerite armor haste and secondary stat stacks up is huge for a Ret Paladin, as it can add like 10-15% Haste and ensure you have a constant flow of Holy Power to spend and renew the buffs, as well as substantially increasing your crit rate and Holy damage.

That Haste is important because you need about a 4.7 sec recharge on Crusader Strike to ensure that you get at least one charge back after emptying both charges and using Blade of Justice and Judgement back to back.  Otherwise, you have to throw in Wake of Ashes to ensure you have no downtime between builders, and that's wasteful if you're not on empty Holy Power and/or you're fighting one non-boss mob.
    Let's be honest, every spec in the game is a very effective solo spec.

I've mained Ret Paladin for years. My Beastmaster Hunter can tear through mobs 3 times faster without even getting hit once.

Try playing a Ret Paladin in PvP.. you can stay alive for a long time if you want to with all those shields but you better get used to hardly ever being able to kill someone because your damage just isn't high enough to out-do their own self healing/shields.
    edited August 2018

I've mained Ret Paladin for years. My Beastmaster Hunter can tear through mobs 3 times faster without even getting hit once.

Try playing a Ret Paladin in PvP.. you can stay alive for a long time if you want to with all those shields but you better get used to hardly ever being able to kill someone because your damage just isn't high enough to out-do their own self healing/shields.
    Never really had a problem with that.  For healers, interrupting their non-instant heals usually results in their either going down or running to allies in an attempt to get a peel.  Other classes have less sustainability in my experience.  Templar's Verdict will still crit them for a huge amount of their health.  Wake of Ashes crits even harder and generates 5 holy power for follow-up Verdicts.

If you're not putting out enough to take someone down, just popping Avenging Wrath is an immediate 30% damage boost, which is usually enough to wear down anyone, specifically since I've geared mine to generate Holy Power for the duration of the boost.

EDIT- true enough about all specs being solo-viable.  Unless I group pull, mobs don't get through my Pally's passive damage shields, my MM Hunter still one-shots many mobs on Aimed Shot crit, and my Demonology Warlock's health funnel keeps VW up against even a boss mob+ adds.

Never really had a problem with that.  For healers, interrupting their non-instant heals usually results in their either going down or running to allies in an attempt to get a peel.  Other classes have less sustainability in my experience.  Templar's Verdict will still crit them for a huge amount of their health.  Wake of Ashes crits even harder and generates 5 holy power for follow-up Verdicts.

If you're not putting out enough to take someone down, just popping Avenging Wrath is an immediate 30% damage boost, which is usually enough to wear down anyone, specifically since I've geared mine to generate Holy Power for the duration of the boost.
    I've found that the best way to PvP with Ret in group situations is to focus on taking down caster DPS classes. That seems to get the best result.

1 on 1 PvP is troublesome for Ret because to maintain your self healing, once your bubbles/LoH are on cooldown or blocked by Forbearance, you have to use your Holy Power, which dramatically reduces your DPS. You can only being doing one thing reliably with Ret, DPS or Heal. You can't do both at the same time.. like a Demon Hunter or Warrior can.
    edited August 2018

I've found that the best way to PvP with Ret in group situations is to focus on taking down caster DPS classes. That seems to get the best result.

1 on 1 PvP is troublesome for Ret because to maintain your self healing, once your bubbles/LoH are on cooldown or blocked by Forbearance, you have to use your Holy Power, which dramatically reduces your DPS. You can only being doing one thing reliably with Ret, DPS or Heal. You can't do both at the same time.. like a Demon Hunter or Warrior can.
    Squishies are always my target because I have all the survivability I need to stay on them.

I've found it's not tough to keep myself up in PvP due to the amount of insta-heals procs I get.  If anyone in raid goes below 40% (including myself), I get an instant flash of light. I also talented out to get an instant flash of light every 4th verdict/storm with bonus power, which results in sometimes half-health bar heals (on crit).  Coupled with my damage shields, movement blessing, and the fact that every blade of Justice applies Hand of Hindrance (I think it's called), and Ret Pallies are excellent at disrupting and killing those Squishies without dying immediately to a little burst.

What's funny is chasing the healer/squishy around, wearing him down and killing him or forcing the enemy group to focus me...  Then stunning the healer/squishy or next target, bubbling and full healing before slowing the squishy or next target again, casting movement speed blessing on myself, then cavaliering right back on top of my target to start my assault all over again. :D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    looks terrible. like the game is 20 years old.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    time007 said:
    looks terrible. like the game is 20 years old.
    just like this comment :)
    TacticalZombeh

I had fun once, it was terrible.