Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you do an MMO afterlife?

13»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    In Star Trek lore, what happens when you beam someone to other locations or suspend their pattern in the buffers?  Perhaps the ability to transform matter to energy and reverse the transformation isn't that far away.  Perhaps consciousness itself will one day be converted to energy patterns and inserted into a matrix. 

Would be interesting to walk around in Second Life or The Sims.  Or attend virtual meetings in locations featured from different game worlds. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    anemo said:
    Ungood said:
    anemo said:
    I know myself well enough that my upload self would be an interesting mix of laughing and thankful to myself.  Totally a form of suicide.

Frankly the people that do upload themselves will probably be a little sick...  as in they waited so long that they will have an eternity of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and similar before them.
    but would that transfer over, since the cause (IE: the physical problem of the body) is no longer there, wound't the ailments also go away?
    Those are mental ones or at least affect nerve tissue.   If they don't carry over you're not just a copy but a changed one.
    But, You would be changed tho, as all physical form you had would be gone (including your brain itself), as such any form of chemical imbalances, or physical disorders, damage, etc, that came from a physical condition affecting your mental state would also cease to exist, like in the case of Parkinson's, where that is a central nervous system disorder. So, after the mind is uploaded, the central nervous system is not, and any new body provided (IE: Robot Body, or in-game avatar) would 100% fit, healthy, and perfect. So in that sense, the Parkinson would by all means, also cease to exist.

So, too would a lot of other mental ailments might vanish, just like Depression, Anxiety, and the like, which are caused by chemical imbalances.

It would be a trip to say the least, and it would really open the question of, is it really You anymore.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sovrath said:
    Absolutely not! What Jean Luc Picard said.

I'd rather be uploaded to a robot body.
    Mobility is everything!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Maybe a synthetic human body. Can you run out of power and have to charge?  But I think I would rather adventure then be stuck in a sterile body 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Mendel said:
    Sovrath said:
    Absolutely not! What Jean Luc Picard said.

I'd rather be uploaded to a robot body.
    Mobility is everything!

How would be any different if you were in a Robot Body or a Digital Avatar.. in fact, in the Digital World you could be able to explore things that you would never see on earth, like.. the Worlds of Dune, or the Worlds of Avatar the Last Air Bender, and being able to do Earth Chi or something.. 

There is really no advantage to a robot body in the sense of traveling, or time, as all these things could be simulated in a World.

As the OP said.. Imagine.. you are now Living in the World of Warcraft, you can smell, feel, taste, touch, hear this world in every detail, a massive world for you to explore.

How would that be any better or worse then some robot body on this planet?

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.