Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers - Max Shaefer Says It's an MMO - General Video Podcast

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers - Max Shaefer Says It's an MMO - General Video Podcast

Echtra Studios founder Max Shaefer has taken to the airwaves to talk more about the studio and Torchlight Frontiers. Most interestingly, Shaefer plainly states that Torchlight Frontiers is an MMO, though with similar ARPG gameplay that players have come to know and love throughout the first two games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This where I say... HNNGGGG
    XophElvocTruvidien88b003MadFrenchie

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    yes !!

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Yeeahhhh- I think I Called it. The setup will
    be like Arcane Legends. Which is nice! But technically it’s a massive hub with instances. So mmo-hub :P 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• mandros56mandros56 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    This is good news! Thank you!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    So I'm unclear, runic made torchlight but he left and is making a torchlight game? Does he have the rights?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Sovrath said:

So I'm unclear, runic made torchlight but he left and is making a torchlight game? Does he have the rights?

I think Perfect World, the publisher have the rights.
    Sovrath
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Made with Unreal Engine 4 as seen at 0:48 for example.
    Truvidien88
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's too bad they got sick of torchlight after TL2 - they should have started this right after that imo
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2018
    Smart guy , but this is also what i said the day I saw Hob , announced ..Was why .. Torchlight is perfect and has the headway to land in a good spot in the market ..

Fortunatley i also believe its not to late for them to achieve this ..

Cant wait .. where can i preorder and sign up:)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    All depends on what Mr Shaefer thinks an Action MMO is, but good to hear they are moving in a MMOish direction. :)
    kjempff
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Sounds fantastic really looking forward to this. Question, I know alot of you guys & girls that post on these boards work in the industry, Is working in these dev studios as relaxing as it appears in this video? Everything is dark and zen like, I picture it to smell like potporri & fresh coffee in that office.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlvonuAlvonu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Great news - Looking forward to it!
  • DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    So, path of exile with a torchlight skin? I'm ok with that
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Sweeeet!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sounds awesome. I liked the Torchlight games a lot.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I was hoping for something different. So it will be either like MU Legends or Path OF Exile. That kind of sucks to me.
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    I need this in my life!
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Well I was hoping after Torchlight 2 there be a 3 and that will be the best one in the series, seem like they drop the ball and now that guy in the video seemingly don't even know what an RPG even is giving it a spin. As far as the video goes it didn't show much of anything what the game really is.

When someone only show and tell with CGI stuff then half me thinks, they got nothing to show and If they did they would have shown it NOW or never. Who knows maybe they will surprise me, but I doubt they will, one can almost even say this game is going to be a battle royale game from the looks.

Don't get me wrong I think Torchlight is a good ARPG just the char design is lacking. I can say the same about Diablo 3 it also lacking real character customization again like most RPG game at end game everyone look a like. This genera need char customization like Blade and Soul deep. The char customization itself is or if not more important than the story IMO. When will they learn to not use leveled gears, I mean no one will user the lvl 10 gears if they are lvl 30 so all that art is wasted.

Lets hope Torchlight Frontiers even resemble anything like Torchlight and not in name only.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Marketing say a lot of things, just don't expect everything they tell you to be true.
    Kyleran
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Sovrath said:

Yeah, he does and it is not as simple as "he left". In early 2016 Perfect World said to Schaefer "Go and make a new studio, hire whoever you want and develop anything you want and we will cover all the expenses". So he left and founded the studio for the explicit reason of making a Torchlight MMO.
    [Deleted User]infomatz
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'm just ready for more Torchlight regardless, but it being an MMO could mean anything these days.

Either way:

JeffSpicoliTokken
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    elveone said:

Sovrath said:

Yeah, he does and it is not as simple as "he left". In early 2016 Perfect World said to Schaefer "Go and make a new studio, hire whoever you want and develop anything you want and we will cover all the expenses". So he left and founded the studio for the explicit reason of making a Torchlight MMO.
    But still pretty simple.
    Panther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Does the art remind anyone else of Landmark/EverQuest Next?
    JeffSpicolibcbully
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Oyjord said:
    Does the art remind anyone else of Landmark/EverQuest Next?
    No, Everquest Next art style reminded me of Torchlight.
    TolrocTacticalZombehFrodoFraginsSilmarisRPGenie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯