Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Numbers Show MHW's Massive Success - It's Steam's Biggest Game So Far in 2018 - Monster Hunter

1235»

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Regardless of the vocal minority the game is one of the best selling and most played games on PC right now.
    Seems it is doing ok ;) 
    I did find all the complains valid, and from what i'm seeing I did right for waiting till the end of the year they should fix most issues and with luck I get a nice discount from steam till then, i'm busy with trails of cold steel anyway so its not like I will have time to play
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:
    I don't hate controllers but I cannot use them with any degree of accuracy unless it is a turn based game . Anything that requires me to navigate with the thumb sticks are impossible for me. Practice just makes me marginally better with no real success even in games set at easy difficulty.

If I manage to reconfigure the thumb pad to allow me to move with it, the game becomes appreciably more controllable as far as the movement of my avatar is concerned and in all other cases sheer drunken mobility is the best I can manage. So any action game is out. That is the only reason I prefer the mouse and KB it is not elitism in any shape or form.
    Controllers are a substandard way of controlling a games, rather ironic really. A Mouse and keyboard are not designed for gaming, the fact they are better just shows how woeful controllers are.
    Stop stirring the pot Scot (that sounds nice when spoken out loud), we both know that is just nonsense. The idea of playing a beat em up like Blazblue with KB+M alone....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    So very true!. My son plays on the PS4 so he's used to a controller for everything. He'll use my Xbox or PS4 controller on my PC in Destiny 2 and other shooters to prove that you can own with a controller and that KB/M talk is a load.

There isn't anything intuitive about using a keyboard to control a game. It's decades and tens of thousands of hours of use that provide that fluid feeling. If everyone picked an instrument and spent the same time on it, the world would be a giant rock band. :lol:
    Statement is incorrect. FPS if you use a controller vs K+M with a player that is good you will get beat every time. Your son will fail again and again. You can not have a fluid movement with thumb sticks.  It won't happen.  That's just pure fact and physics.  That is exactly why Counter Strike is not on console, the rift is too far apart.  Try playing an RTS at a high level without K+M, not happening, you can't move around quick enough.  Try playing a 4x space sim with a controller, nope.  Try playing a build simulator with a controller.

The elitism is what is wrong, there is genres where gamepads and controllers excel and genres where they fail or are incredibly handicap.
    Except he didn't did he. He plays on my PC account in D2 and does just fine. Because the difference doesn't matter if you're good.

We're not talking about RTS or 4X are we? We're talking about using an input method that fits and works. That doesn't mean you're good at using it, just that it's appropriate for the scheme.

Try using a flight sim without the proper hardware. How's Elite: Dangerous with a KB/M especially if you don't reconfigure the controls. What are the first tips people always give in that game. Get a HOTUS and/or spend a few hours on the wiki learning how to reconfigure your KB/M to work so you can play.

The real reason KB/M hasn't been on console isn't because they'd own people, but because PC gamers with fragile egos would find out how much they really suck. Wouldn't want to insult that revenue stream. Apparently they'll throw lots of money at anything - kickstarters, jpeg ships, promised launch dates, mmos on Unity, loot crates, cash shops. Maybe they figured PC gamers might not be able to figure out how to use a controller. Apparently, they're not far off the mark.
    Anecdotal evidence isn't effective here.  Especially considering we have more authoritative anecdotal evidence to the contrary; Blizzard absolutely believes throwing K+M players in with controller users results in advantage for the K+M:  https://www.pcgamer.com/mouse-and-keyboard-players-are-destroying-controller-users-in-overwatch-on-console/

Kaplan quote: "The Overwatch team objects to the use of mouse and keyboard on console. We have contacted both first-party console manufacturers and expressed our concern about the use of mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices," game director Jeff Kaplan replied bluntly. "We have lobbied and will continue to lobby for first-party console manufacturers to either disallow mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices, OR openly and easily support mouse and keyboard for ALL players." 

Regardless of the vocal minority the game is one of the best selling and most played games on PC right now.
    Seems it is doing ok ;) 
    I did find all the complains valid, and from what i'm seeing I did right for waiting till the end of the year they should fix most issues and with luck I get a nice discount from steam till then, i'm busy with trails of cold steel anyway so its not like I will have time to play
    Awesome! I TofCS on my wishlist. Is it great? 
    well I did like it, i'm on the second game now, its something to be 4 games to tell the whole story I think the japanese version of the 4th game on this series will launch on the end of the year the 3th one was on the start of this year but the english version is till now the 2nd game, I would tell you to wait if you like the game till the 3th game is out in english to start it so you can do all without a problem

run down of the game, if you liked the game like persona chances are you will like this one, the first game was when the cast was during school(so pretty much you had to deal with the school things) only you don't play every single day on they school lifes, also you need to like to read, tehre is a hell a lot of rading from everything plus hidden quests, the game also kinda force you to replay the game, since you can't see everything on your first run, but yes I did find it good, the 2nd game is kinda diferent looks more fast, since they are not locked on they school anymore, kinda long too I had on the 1st over 90 hours of play time, teh combat tend to get easy when you figure out how to do it
    [Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2018
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:
    I don't hate controllers but I cannot use them with any degree of accuracy unless it is a turn based game . Anything that requires me to navigate with the thumb sticks are impossible for me. Practice just makes me marginally better with no real success even in games set at easy difficulty.

If I manage to reconfigure the thumb pad to allow me to move with it, the game becomes appreciably more controllable as far as the movement of my avatar is concerned and in all other cases sheer drunken mobility is the best I can manage. So any action game is out. That is the only reason I prefer the mouse and KB it is not elitism in any shape or form.
    Controllers are a substandard way of controlling a games, rather ironic really. A Mouse and keyboard are not designed for gaming, the fact they are better just shows how woeful controllers are.
    Stop stirring the pot Scot (that sounds nice when spoken out loud), we both know that is just nonsense. The idea of playing a beat em up like Blazblue with KB+M alone....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    So very true!. My son plays on the PS4 so he's used to a controller for everything. He'll use my Xbox or PS4 controller on my PC in Destiny 2 and other shooters to prove that you can own with a controller and that KB/M talk is a load.

There isn't anything intuitive about using a keyboard to control a game. It's decades and tens of thousands of hours of use that provide that fluid feeling. If everyone picked an instrument and spent the same time on it, the world would be a giant rock band. :lol:
    Statement is incorrect. FPS if you use a controller vs K+M with a player that is good you will get beat every time. Your son will fail again and again. You can not have a fluid movement with thumb sticks.  It won't happen.  That's just pure fact and physics.  That is exactly why Counter Strike is not on console, the rift is too far apart.  Try playing an RTS at a high level without K+M, not happening, you can't move around quick enough.  Try playing a 4x space sim with a controller, nope.  Try playing a build simulator with a controller.

The elitism is what is wrong, there is genres where gamepads and controllers excel and genres where they fail or are incredibly handicap.
    Except he didn't did he. He plays on my PC account in D2 and does just fine. Because the difference doesn't matter if you're good.

We're not talking about RTS or 4X are we? We're talking about using an input method that fits and works. That doesn't mean you're good at using it, just that it's appropriate for the scheme.

Try using a flight sim without the proper hardware. How's Elite: Dangerous with a KB/M especially if you don't reconfigure the controls. What are the first tips people always give in that game. Get a HOTUS and/or spend a few hours on the wiki learning how to reconfigure your KB/M to work so you can play.

The real reason KB/M hasn't been on console isn't because they'd own people, but because PC gamers with fragile egos would find out how much they really suck. Wouldn't want to insult that revenue stream. Apparently they'll throw lots of money at anything - kickstarters, jpeg ships, promised launch dates, mmos on Unity, loot crates, cash shops. Maybe they figured PC gamers might not be able to figure out how to use a controller. Apparently, they're not far off the mark.
    Anecdotal evidence isn't effective here.  Especially considering we have more authoritative anecdotal evidence to the contrary; Blizzard absolutely believes throwing K+M players in with controller users results in advantage for the K+M:  https://www.pcgamer.com/mouse-and-keyboard-players-are-destroying-controller-users-in-overwatch-on-console/

Kaplan quote: "The Overwatch team objects to the use of mouse and keyboard on console. We have contacted both first-party console manufacturers and expressed our concern about the use of mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices," game director Jeff Kaplan replied bluntly. "We have lobbied and will continue to lobby for first-party console manufacturers to either disallow mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices, OR openly and easily support mouse and keyboard for ALL players." 
    Of course Blizzard does because they said so. Remember when "you thought you knew what you wanted but didn't." That's Blizz all the way.

Epic doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and Fortnite is unarguably more popular now than Overwatch, but then they're not telling you what you're supposed to think.

If you want think how Kaplan tells you, go ahead. I'm not telling you guys you need to suddenly like a controller or use it more. I'm just laughing at the tantrum thrown because MHW didn't craft the perfect default schema how "PCMR" apostles felt it should and there are some UI rough spots (like every game).

Competitively a player will likely do better with a KB/M, but lets not get into the lie about fooling ourselves with competitive prowess. I also get that people are comfortable with what they're familiar with. I'm not arguing that either, just the pretention that goes with the control schema rant.
    True. KB/M only has a competitive advantage over gamepad in pvp shooters. Outside of that the only thing that matters is how comfortable you are when using either choice. For example, in For Honor I kill KB+M users easier than gamepad users.

Monster Hunter doesn't even have PvP. I think the main reason why MHW doesn't have cross platform is because PC is still pretty much the "vanilla" version. Capcom can easily do cross platform using its own Capcom account system that SF5 has instead of Steam servers.

As for Epic Games and Fortnite, in a third person shooter you have far better aiming than a first person shooter when using a gamepad so the cross platform is actually fine. Even cellphone users are mixed in and seem to have a good time. I know some people who play it on PC and only use gamepad. Sniper is probably the harder weapon using a pad compared to kb/m, at least for me.

I've always been against kb/m put against gamepad in pvp shooters, but i've come to realize that i've never played multiplayer games to be # 1, just to have fun. Cross platform all the way.

[Deleted User]

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Torval said:
    Are you guys talking about the Legend of Heroes series? That is an awesome series.
    Yes great series.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    cheyane said:
    Torval said:
    Are you guys talking about the Legend of Heroes series? That is an awesome series.
    Yes great series.
    Who cares???!!! The only thing people want to know is if you use KB+M to play it with or a controller!!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    cheyane[Deleted User]Scot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    cheyane said:
    Torval said:
    Yes great series.
    Who cares???!!! The only thing people want to know is if you use KB+M to play it with or a controller!!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    keyboard+mouse, never gamepad, only game I would use a gamepad is fighting games all the others kb+m all the way
    Scot
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    lahnmir said:
    cheyane said:
    Torval said:
    Yes great series.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    keyboard+mouse, never gamepad, only game I would use a gamepad is fighting games all the others kb+m all the way
    Nooooo don't start this again!
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Of course Blizzard does because they said so. Remember when "you thought you knew what you wanted but didn't." That's Blizz all the way.

Epic doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and Fortnite is unarguably more popular now than Overwatch, but then they're not telling you what you're supposed to think.

If you want think how Kaplan tells you, go ahead. I'm not telling you guys you need to suddenly like a controller or use it more. I'm just laughing at the tantrum thrown because MHW didn't craft the perfect default schema how "PCMR" apostles felt it should and there are some UI rough spots (like every game).

Competitively a player will likely do better with a KB/M, but lets not get into the lie about fooling ourselves with competitive prowess. I also get that people are comfortable with what they're familiar with. I'm not arguing that either, just the pretention that goes with the control schema rant.
    But these comments have went beyond countering those folks.  Hell, the entire reason I stepped into the thread in the first place went beyond it: folks were trying to claim PC players were ignorant for wanting to play a PC game with K+M.  That's ludicrous.

As for a tantrum, the comments have been no different than the spectrum on any issue ever.  I get you seem to be jaded with that collective attitude, and don't necessarily disagree, but there's nothing especially unique about the range of responses to MHW here.  That's why I didn't understand the snarky back and forth.  Most folks here are saying "it's a great game, but some questionable UI decisions and optimization issues make it a bad port."  None of that rings false to me.  Some folks believe the UI is the larger detriment, some think optimization.  I guess that depends upon your personal tolerances and PC more than anything.
    [Deleted User]

lahnmir said:
    cheyane said:
    Torval said:
    Yes great series.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    Nooooo don't start this again!
    I helped to derail, now I need to put it back in place
    Panther2103
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    edited August 2018
    Bleh, for some reason I can't find anywhere to delete my post. I believe I was able to earlier.
    Post edited by Liljna on
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    After 20hrs of gameplay with the pc version (never played MH before, nor the console version) I give it a solid 8/10. It's a nice game with good progression which can be played casually for an hour. It runs smoothly on mid gfx settings even with my outdated gtx 770. Didn't expect that.

I would have given it a higher rating but unfortunately, yes, it shows that it is a console port. Keybind settings are weird and inconsistent sometimes, it lacks precision in aiming and steering your avatar as all console games compared to pc games, and the radial menue on pc is abysmal using keyboard/mouse.

There also seem to be some online session issues but as I only play solo they didn't bother me so far.

But all in all I don't regret buying it. It's fun.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Anthur said:
    After 20hrs of gameplay with the pc version (never played MH before, nor the console version) I give it a solid 8/10. It's a nice game with good progression which can be played casually for an hour. It runs smoothly on mid gfx settings even with my outdated gtx 770. Didn't expect that.

I would have given it a higher rating but unfortunately, yes, it shows that it is a console port. Keybind settings are weird and inconsistent sometimes, it lacks precision in aiming and steering your avatar as all console games compared to pc games, and the radial menue on pc is abysmal using keyboard/mouse.

There also seem to be some online session issues but as I only play solo they didn't bother me so far.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable mini review: it's fine to really like the game and also be annoyed by the Capcom's wonky, non-standard M&KB port.

I really don't know why this thread went so off the rails on that point. I blame that on not enough sex :) 
    SovrathJamesGoblinMadFrenchiealkarionlog
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Anthur said:

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable mini review: it's fine to really like the game and also be annoyed by the Capcom's wonky, non-standard M&KB port.

I really don't know why this thread went so off the rails on that point. I blame that on not enough sex :) 
    But do you use a controller or a KB+M for that sex?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchie

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Anthur said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I still like the K+M...  I mean, the sheer precision alone...
    [Deleted User]

lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Anthur said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Controllers have rumble though, just saying.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Scot

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Anthur said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I know me and my partner do like a little dual shock action...
    lahnmir[Deleted User]Scot

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Anthur said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    well you could adapt your chair I guess
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Anthur said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Mobility alone makes controllers superior. 
    alkarionlog
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung