Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth: More of the Same, But in a Good Way? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth: More of the Same, But in a Good Way? - MMORPG.com

Fourteen years young and WoW is back with another expansion. Can Battle for Azeroth repeat the overall success of Legion? By all accounts so far, there’s a lot of what made Legion work present in Blizzard’s latest, and if the early hours of play are any indication, more of the same might not be so bad.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    We don't just have the WoW template, now we have the WoW DLC template.
    FrodoFragins
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Scot said:

Basically. But that's OK. ESO goes the same way. I'm glad they're keeping features that work, while also trying new things. It's better than completely abandoning stuff that works, while testing new stuff too. I'd be sad if the follower/mission/artifact stuff was all just gone. It's changed, so it's familiar, and part of what makes WoW tick.
    ScottJeslisLeiloniNephethViper482ElvocJeroKane

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Scot said:

Basically. But that's OK. ESO goes the same way. I'm glad they're keeping features that work, while also trying new things. It's better than completely abandoning stuff that works, while testing new stuff too. I'd be sad if the follower/mission/artifact stuff was all just gone. It's changed, so it's familiar, and part of what makes WoW tick.
    I really hate the follower / mission stuff. How prominent is it in this expansion? It's actually the one thing that completely turned me off from WoW since WoD as it just felt like a weird phone game built into the game. 
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoliEl-HefeThaharmetarealRorhcPsym0nAmystia
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Scot said:

The artifact stuff is gone though, right?  The followers and mission tables remain, and I'm currently accruing "War Points," though I'm not precisely sure what towards yet.  I didn't delve into beta info for the expansion, so the systems are all new.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm still hoping they beef up their Garrisons some how, and turn them into awesome housing mechanics. It would be nice if they did like a SWTOR legacy thing, and you just had 1 major Garrison for your Horde toons and 1 for your Alliance ones, so all your work on all your alts went towards the one Garrison....

Make it an entire town/village, and have it so each of your toons can have a slice of the Garrison as their own, with tons of different furniture/housing options...

...you know, the important stuff in a MMORPG! :P

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User]ktanner3

What, me worry?

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Scot said:

I really hate the follower / mission stuff. How prominent is it in this expansion? It's actually the one thing that completely turned me off from WoW since WoD as it just felt like a weird phone game built into the game. 
    They aren't gating content behind it (yet), just a chance at bonus azerite/resources to world quests, hearth cooldown lowering etc and you can have followers bring you back crafting mats if you want as well.
    Leiloni
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    The Horde side in Zandalar has been really cool, too. I didn't get in much playtime last night but I had a great time with what I did play. There's so much more to see so I can't wait to get back on tonight.
    [Deleted User]

Scot said:

I hear ya.  Supposedly, it's toned down in this expansion from what it was in Legion, but I've heard that kind of bullshit before from Blizzard so we'll need to see how it actually plays.  It'll be disconcerting if, once again, the most time-efficient gold faucet in the game comes from mission table chores, so I really, really hope that isn't case.
    Do Garrison's make a lot of gold?  Because I never made much gold off my Order Hall missions.  Rarely was gold or anything I could sell a reward.  I didn't fool with my Garrison because it's way out in the middle of BFE by itself, completely untethered to every other part of the game.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Iv put in a small amount of time but im really enjoying it. Love the aesthetics of Stormsong Valley, reminds me of MOP which was the last xpac i really enjoyed. So far im enjoying BFA more than i thought i would
    Viper482
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited August 2018
    Danmit I resubbed but have not bought the expansion. I am levelling the character I created  when the scaling patch went in but I dropped it soon after so continuing and have no idea how long I will stick it out . I have not bought a WoW expansion for a long time.

I could never make money and if I absolutely cannot afford the riding or flying skills I might just buy a token and sell it. Yah, yah a sellout I am.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Great, great, great x pac.
    edited August 2018

Scot said:

I hear ya.  Supposedly, it's toned down in this expansion from what it was in Legion, but I've heard that kind of bullshit before from Blizzard so we'll need to see how it actually plays.  It'll be disconcerting if, once again, the most time-efficient gold faucet in the game comes from mission table chores, so I really, really hope that isn't case.
    Do Garrison's make a lot of gold?  Because I never made much gold off my Order Hall missions.  Rarely was gold or anything I could sell a reward.  I didn't fool with my Garrison because it's way out in the middle of BFE by itself, completely untethered to every other part of the game.
    Garrisons did have Gold Missions but I didn't play Warlords of Draenor enough during its run to know how much you got for the top missions.

The gold you could make from Legion Order Hall missions was ridiculous.  If you had 7 champions fully equipped at ilevel 950, you could make between 2500 and 3000 gold per gold mission, with an average of two or three missions every couple of days.  I easily made 2 million gold over six months of playing between two characters just from the mission tables, and it was probably more like 2.5 million.  It was by far the most time-efficient gold faucet in Legion.
    I just don't understand how.  I never regularly got missions that rewarded gold.  Certainly never enough to make 3k per mission.  They never even showed up as available.

EDIT- not that it ever really affected me in a negative way, I should say.  Other than gems for sockets or alt gear, I haven't felt the need to purchase anything.  All the best gear was found doing Legion PvE content.

Scot said:

Garrisons did have Gold Missions but I didn't play Warlords of Draenor enough during its run to know how much you got for the top missions.

The gold you could make from Legion Order Hall missions was ridiculous.  If you had 7 champions fully equipped at ilevel 950, you could make between 2500 and 3000 gold per gold mission, with an average of two or three missions every couple of days.  I easily made 2 million gold over six months of playing between two characters just from the mission tables, and it was probably more like 2.5 million.  It was by far the most time-efficient gold faucet in Legion.
    I just don't understand how.  I never regularly got missions that rewarded gold.  Certainly never enough to make 3k per mission.  They never even showed up as available.
    When did you start playing Legion?  Gold Missions were removed when the pre-patch hit and replaced with Missions the rewarded Order Hall Resources.  Same thing happened with Garrisons at the of Warlords of Draenor; removal of Gold Missions with the Legion pre-patch.  But a few months ago, it was pretty rare when an entire day past and I didn't get a single gold mission in my Order Hall.  Others who played could corroborate this.

Keep in the mind that the base gold reward from Order Hall missions was between 400 and 700ish gold with ilevel 950 missions, but the bonus reward could be 2000 gold or more.  So you had to have 200% chance of success to be guaranteed to get your average of 2500-3000 gold per mission, but that wasn't a problem if your champions were fully upgraded.
    That may be what I was missing then.  I didn't check for the bonus reward because I was primarily concerned with leveling my artifacts and getting things like Argunite to further gear out my characters.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2018
    So did a bunch of people hit level cap on the first day or is my friend just exaggerating?
    Several did, about 3 in my guild already are 120.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited August 2018
    If you haven't already hit cap with all your 110s..  Do you even play, bro? :D
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Psym0n

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I enjoyed my time in Vol'dune just being a tourist. My partner and I finished the zone and are 113 (barely) and are looking forward to Zuldazar tomorrow. It may take a week to get to 120 and that's fine. Then it'll be the War Campaign, Island Expeditions, Warfronts and dungeons after. We're having a great time simply because we don't care at all about getting to max level. :) 
    [Deleted User]pantaro[Deleted User]infomatzXophcheyanePsym0nThornrageGobstopper3D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Can I do the quests to unlock the new races/skins, and then use my auto 110 on one of them?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Some of the allied races take a long time to get. Void elves I think are the hardest of them all, can take up to a month of constant playing to unlock them. Probably faster as humans but still takes time. Its also partly RNG if you get missions that reward reputation with Argussian Reach or/and get the world quests that drop the extra reputation with them.

The other allied races you can get by normally playing.
    El-Hefe

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• DrewwhoDrewwho Member CommonPosts: 17
    edited August 2018
    Considering Blizzard advertises on this website and they probably get a lot of perks like all expenses paid to Blizcon its unlikely they would ever say a bad thing about it anyway . So more of the same but in good way is about as far as mmorpg.com will go to say they find fault in it .

Cant bite the hand that feeds you .
    FrodoFraginsSBFordPsym0nGobstopper3D
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Myrdynn said:

Can I do the quests to unlock the new races/skins, and then use my auto 110 on one of them?

There's a bit of contention in the community on this issue.

The first four allied races (Light Forge Draenai, Vold Elves, Highmountain Tauren, Nightborne) can only be unlocked by completing pre-requisites in Legion content.  You need to complete specific questlines and obtain Exalted reputation with specific factions.

The next two allied races (Dark Iron Dwarves, Mag'har Orcs) are unlocked by completing the war campaigns in Battle for Azeroth content.

But once you unlock an Allied Race, you can use your boost on them .... if you don't mind forfeiting the Heritage armor, which can only be acquired by leveling them the old fashioned way.

why would I need heritage armor if they are already 110? Also I unlocked every piece of the leveling armor up to legion, couldnt i use those?
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Myrdynn said:

Myrdynn said:

There's a bit of contention in the community on this issue.

The first four allied races (Light Forge Draenai, Vold Elves, Highmountain Tauren, Nightborne) can only be unlocked by completing pre-requisites in Legion content.  You need to complete specific questlines and obtain Exalted reputation with specific factions.

The next two allied races (Dark Iron Dwarves, Mag'har Orcs) are unlocked by completing the war campaigns in Battle for Azeroth content.

But once you unlock an Allied Race, you can use your boost on them .... if you don't mind forfeiting the Heritage armor, which can only be acquired by leveling them the old fashioned way.

why would I need heritage armor if they are already 110? Also I unlocked every piece of the leveling armor up to legion, couldnt i use those?
    heritage armor is a transmog.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited August 2018
    Some of the allied races take a long time to get. Void elves I think are the hardest of them all, can take up to a month of constant playing to unlock them. Probably faster as humans but still takes time. Its also partly RNG if you get missions that reward reputation with Argussian Reach or/and get the world quests that drop the extra reputation with them.

The other allied races you can get by normally playing.
    Slight correction: For the void elves...it seems doing any of the world quests in argus gives the correct reputation to unlock the VE. I don't recall that being a thing before when I last was raising reputation with them. So that should speed up unlocking them quite a bit.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Drewwho said:

Considering Blizzard advertises on this website and they probably get a lot of perks like all expenses paid to Blizcon its unlikely they would ever say a bad thing about it anyway . So more of the same but in good way is about as far as mmorpg.com will go to say they find fault in it .

Cant bite the hand that feeds you .

Na the review/article was pretty spot on, Like he says at the end if you are not a fan of wow or tired of it you probably wont like it.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited August 2018

Scot said:

EDIT- not that it ever really affected me in a negative way, I should say.  Other than gems for sockets or alt gear, I haven't felt the need to purchase anything.  All the best gear was found doing Legion PvE content.

Yeah, I can confirm that you could make upwards of 15-30k gold a day from garrison missions if you had some 20+ alts with 900+ item level champions and a maxed out order hall.  The problem was getting resources and such to keep up with doing that every day, on all those toons.

Gold missions appeared on maybe 3/5ths of my characters at any given time.  Some 3-5 gold missions, where bonuses gave you 1500 and the base gold was usually 500-900.  Taking the time to set them all up as Epic / Legendary quality followers and getting legendary / increased success items for them was also a part of it so that the bonus was won most of the time.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited August 2018
    Gold missions are gone now in old content.