Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you do an MMO afterlife?

13»

Comments

• NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Some great points brought up here about the morality of it and life having an "end". Plus I might be a little worried about what corporate types might want to do with me. Would they be using me to farm credits?!?

But...this might be one way I finally get through my steam backlog.  :D
    Phaserlight
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,946
    No. As scary as the thought of death can be sometimes, we're meant to move on to something else. Our brief existence on this little blue ball of ours is just one part of something far, far greater. 

Besides, it would just be a copy living its own existence. Our consciousness would still move on. Though such a place would be interesting for future generations to see what their ancestors were like, or to meet famous historical figures. I'd give everything I own for a ten minute conversation with Thomas Jefferson, Yi Sun-sin, Abraham Lincoln, MLK Jr., Andrew Jackson, Martin Luther, or any of a hundred more influential people throughout history. 
    Phaserlight

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    Sovrath said:
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Absolutely not! What Jean Luc Picard said.

I'd rather be uploaded to a robot body.
    The problem with this ideas is that you are contained to the finite resources of the body, it would, given our modern world, become inevitable that your "mind" would be uploaded into a Ethernet/Internet cloud-like system, and simply "Linked" to a body for you to move in.

In that event, a digital world would be easier to create senses in, like taste, touch, smell, sound, sight, as they could simply be programmed into the world system, where a robot body would require all kinds of exterior input devices and systems to gather those senses from the existing world.

A robot body would nice to see the world again in.. but equally so.. a person would be able to enjoy a steak in a digital world.

Something to ponder.
    meh, I'll just take the body. I think you are correct that the mind would be uploaded to some sort of cloud system should the body get hit by a truck.

But I think I'd prefer "being in a body" and experiencing real people in the real world over some sort of "created" artificial world.

But that is the main point, you wouldn't feel a real world, it would at best be a simulation derived from sensors, and then converted into a means you would recognize.

Not to mention that the body itself would be vastly limited, as I highly doubt they would put in sensors on your whole body so you could feel all things you feel now in your flesh and blood body, as such, there would be huge patches of your body that would feel dead. Not to mention there would, I would wager, no way for you to feel pain, strain, or even physical exhaustion 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,800
    I know myself well enough that my upload self would be an interesting mix of laughing and thankful to myself.  Totally a form of suicide.

Frankly the people that do upload themselves will probably be a little sick...  as in they waited so long that they will have an eternity of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and similar before them.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

anemo said:
    I know myself well enough that my upload self would be an interesting mix of laughing and thankful to myself.  Totally a form of suicide.

Frankly the people that do upload themselves will probably be a little sick...  as in they waited so long that they will have an eternity of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and similar before them.
    but would that transfer over, since the cause (IE: the physical problem of the body) is no longer there, wound't the ailments also go away?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,135
    It wouldn't be me doing it.

If it were sophisticated enough it might think it's me but it still wouldn't be. So good luck to it but as for me, so long and thanks for all the fish.
    blueturtle13
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,800
    Ungood said:
    anemo said:

but would that transfer over, since the cause (IE: the physical problem of the body) is no longer there, wound't the ailments also go away?
    Those are mental ones or at least affect nerve tissue.   If they don't carry over you're not just a copy but a changed one.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,868
    In Star Trek lore, what happens when you beam someone to other locations or suspend their pattern in the buffers?  Perhaps the ability to transform matter to energy and reverse the transformation isn't that far away.  Perhaps consciousness itself will one day be converted to energy patterns and inserted into a matrix. 

Would be interesting to walk around in Second Life or The Sims.  Or attend virtual meetings in locations featured from different game worlds. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

anemo said:
    Ungood said:
    anemo said:

Those are mental ones or at least affect nerve tissue.   If they don't carry over you're not just a copy but a changed one.
    But, You would be changed tho, as all physical form you had would be gone (including your brain itself), as such any form of chemical imbalances, or physical disorders, damage, etc, that came from a physical condition affecting your mental state would also cease to exist, like in the case of Parkinson's, where that is a central nervous system disorder. So, after the mind is uploaded, the central nervous system is not, and any new body provided (IE: Robot Body, or in-game avatar) would 100% fit, healthy, and perfect. So in that sense, the Parkinson would by all means, also cease to exist.

So, too would a lot of other mental ailments might vanish, just like Depression, Anxiety, and the like, which are caused by chemical imbalances.

It would be a trip to say the least, and it would really open the question of, is it really You anymore.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,417
    Sovrath said:

Mobility is everything!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,952
    Maybe a synthetic human body. Can you run out of power and have to charge?  But I think I would rather adventure then be stuck in a sterile body 
    Mendel said:
    Sovrath said:

Mobility is everything!

How would be any different if you were in a Robot Body or a Digital Avatar.. in fact, in the Digital World you could be able to explore things that you would never see on earth, like.. the Worlds of Dune, or the Worlds of Avatar the Last Air Bender, and being able to do Earth Chi or something.. 

There is really no advantage to a robot body in the sense of traveling, or time, as all these things could be simulated in a World.

As the OP said.. Imagine.. you are now Living in the World of Warcraft, you can smell, feel, taste, touch, hear this world in every detail, a massive world for you to explore.

How would that be any better or worse then some robot body on this planet?