Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese Regulators Remove MHW From Sale with Tencent Offering Refunds - Monster Hunter World - MMORP

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This is interesting, I'd love to know what the cause is.

Off topic:
    There's a person mentally lost enough to chastise people for expecting PC standards on PCs on a website primarily targeting PC users. They are even inbred stupid enough to chase it down in multiple threads like they're the standard of common sense.

Stupidity has turned into a pandemic.

Hollywood Movie idea. "World War D(umb)".
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2018
    Perhaps someone in the Ministry of Culture still holds a grudge over the "Rape of Nanking?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    When dealing with an overt dictatorship (as opposed to covert...) one has to expect these things from time to time. I suspect money/power is at the root of it. Given China's on going purge of "corruption" (of those not in the ruling factions...) it can be difficult to determine just what/who is responsible for any given action. Perhaps Tencent didn't bribe the proper officials? Perhaps Steam did?
    KyleranPhryTacticalZombeh
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Wraithone said:
    When dealing with an overt dictatorship (as opposed to covert...) one has to expect these things from time to time. I suspect money/power is at the root of it. Given China's on going purge of "corruption" (of those not in the ruling factions...) it can be difficult to determine just what/who is responsible for any given action. Perhaps Tencent didn't bribe the proper officials? Perhaps Steam did?
    Good thing money/power have no influence over what we get to purchase in the States, right? 

B)
    blamo2000cheyanePhryWaan

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I blame Trump
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    There is nothing wrong with MAGA, folks do it every day.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Go Trump, China is banned from MHW =)
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

So basically any game which promotes the ideas of personal liberty, religious freedom, freedom of speech, or rebellion against tyranny is illegal. Good to know. 

Such a shame to see just how shit a nation with thousands of years of rich history can go in just over half a century. Nobody deserves to live like that. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• rudolfrealrudolfreal Member UncommonPosts: 26
    From what I know, Tencent tried to release the game on it's own platform WeGame at same day as steam release. However to achieve that they were unable to submit all the paperwork to the Chinese regulations on time or not all the reviews are finished by the Chinese regulation. So actually they released the game without approval in China. Just like you launch a drug in USA without FDA approval and you all know what's happened next.
    [Deleted User]
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    SBFord said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Probably contains a spooky skeleton.
    This is actually the most likely reason I can think of, too.  Does anyone remember if there's a skeleton somewhere in the game?
    Unless this would cause an issue?

Pretty sure it would. Blizzard had to remove skeletons from forming after player death i believe to make it available in China. Or maybe it was only for MoP content. idr the details but it was something about that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    It has nothing it do with MHW.

It probably has something to do with Tencent as a company. Chinese government are going to great lengths of trying to rein in mega-corporations in China so that they don't become the zaibatsu problem of Japan or the chaebol problem of SK where the megacorporations become too powerful and have the ability to influence politics.

Scot[Deleted User]
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I see a lot of kinda subtle racism comments in this thread
    aRtFuLThinGIselinmklinicXoph

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

From what I know, Tencent tried to release the game on it's own platform WeGame at same day as steam release. However to achieve that they were unable to submit all the paperwork to the Chinese regulations on time or not all the reviews are finished by the Chinese regulation. So actually they released the game without approval in China. Just like you launch a drug in USA without FDA approval and you all know what's happened next.

Except they released it 2 days before Steam tho :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
    edited August 2018
    It has nothing it do with MHW.

It probably has something to do with Tencent as a company. Chinese government are going to great lengths of trying to rein in mega-corporations in China so that they don't become the zaibatsu problem of Japan or the chaebol problem of SK where the megacorporations become too powerful and have the ability to influence politics.

Good thing nothing like megacorporations influencing politics ever happens here in the States.

;)
    cheyaneaRtFuLThinG

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    USA has issues with sex in games, Europe with violence and now maybe China with bones/undead ? Who is next ? Poor game developers...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Good thing WOW doesn't have skeletons... oh wait.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    I'm told in China it doesn't. 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited August 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    I'm told in China it doesn't. 
    They don't. Even the forsaken look more like zombies than skeletons. Funny enough, the chinese version of WoW kinda looks better (for some of it anyway) since instead of piles of bones for example...its piles of flesh. Way better than just a pile of boring bones. Also forsaken look better in the chinese version, though that one is probably more personal preference since I'd rather play a zombie than a skeleton. That and chinese forsaken don't have bones sticking out in their transmogs.

Abominations look worse though since they don't have their guts hanging out. They are all stitched up and kinda boring looking. And I'm sure there are other changes that aren't as good. But there are still some of the chinese WoW changes that are better as well. Like, I'd love piles of flesh all over instead of bones lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• BloodDiimondBloodDiimond Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I hope this shows all of you what communism really is!!!! #Qanon!!!!!
    MadFrenchie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I hope this shows all of you what communism really is!!!! #Qanon!!!!!
    Lmao!  I think this marks our first Qanon sighting here on the boards!
    [Deleted User]

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Herase said:

Tiamat64 said:

Hashbrick said:

This is actually the most likely reason I can think of, too.  Does anyone remember if there's a skeleton somewhere in the game?

What SBFord linked and also there's an entire stage designed around the skeleton of a previous monster hunter endgame boss (it's not blatantly obvious though). There's plenty of skeleton related things like armor with bone on it, and bone weapons. I don't know how harsh their anti-skeleton policies are though, I only knew about the Wrath of the Lich King edits.

Apparently the skeleton thing it a bit of misconception and it's down to the rules being quite broad. From what I read;

Ministry of Culture forbids:

• Gambling-related content or game features
    • Anything that violates China’s constitution
    • Anything that threatens China’s national unity, sovereignty, or territorial integrity.
    • Anything that harms the nation’s reputation, security, or interests.
    • Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures.
    • Anything that violates China’s policy on religion by promoting cults or superstitions.
    • Anything that promotes or incites obscenity, drug use, violence, or gambling.
    • Anything that harms public ethics or China’s culture and traditions.
    • Anything that insults, slanders, or violates the rights of others.
    • Other content that violates the law

So it's hard to place what it could fall under, so I think companies tend to just play it safe and change what they can so not to tread on the governments toes. Who knows what cause it, maybe someone can put the pieces together from this. 

so funny about no instigating racial or ethnic hatred. Guess China won't allow any games about Tibet...You know where they took some other countries culture and destroyed it.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Hashbrick said:

Like, Zoinks!

Me an' Scoob have already returned our copies, man.

"Raaagh!  Too rary!"
    Sovrath
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Maybe it goes against chinese beliefs if there are dragons that can be slain or something even I love dragons...
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Looks like somebody was offended by something in 2018. Go figure.
    Kyleran
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2018
    I think they want to avoid public drama with players killing a dog (Odogaron) and not eating it.