Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese Regulators Remove MHW From Sale with Tencent Offering Refunds - Monster Hunter World - MMORP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageChinese Regulators Remove MHW From Sale with Tencent Offering Refunds - Monster Hunter World - MMORPG.com

Monster Hunter World News - Without citing any specific reasons, Chinese regulators have removed Monster Hunter World from sales. The only issue revealed is that regulatory officials have received "a large number of complaints" about the content, but with no more specific information it remains to be seen what precisely has caused the issue. Tencent will be offering nearly 1M pre-order customers a refund of $44 per copy.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Well then...
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Probably contains a spooky skeleton.
    Tiamat64LeiloniFrodoFraginsalkarionlogThaharWraithoneWaanThupli
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    That's random.  Wonder what the rub is.
    LeiloniSabracceh430Thupli

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    This is actually the most likely reason I can think of, too.  Does anyone remember if there's a skeleton somewhere in the game?
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    The game must be dangerous to China's fragile political system and its players may overthrow their government so the state had 6o protect itself against this scenario.

But jokes aside it has some issues. Although I'm fine with the present situation and am actively contributing to the 300k+ online number.

Tuor7

Thank you for your time!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:
    This is actually the most likely reason I can think of, too.  Does anyone remember if there's a skeleton somewhere in the game?
    Unless this would cause an issue?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    SBFord said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:

That and the Radobaan could be big contributors.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    SBFord said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:

Hmm, I dunno if animal skeletons count too. Maybe they do.  Seems a bit harsh to recall the entire thing for that and not even a human skeleton, though :O  And yet not outside the realm of impossibility.
    Leiloni
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:
    What SBFord linked and also there's an entire stage designed around the skeleton of a previous monster hunter endgame boss (it's not blatantly obvious though). There's plenty of skeleton related things like armor with bone on it, and bone weapons. I don't know how harsh their anti-skeleton policies are though, I only knew about the Wrath of the Lich King edits.
    SBFord
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Can't they submit the game and assets for review before sale(even if it means a delayed launch)? It seems pretty backwards to release the game and pray for approval.
    [Deleted User]SovrathLeiloniThaharAlomarinfomatz
    Can't they submit the game and assets for review before sale(even if it means a delayed launch)? It seems pretty backwards to release the game and pray for approval.
    Well you would think that would be what Tencent would do for them as they were the publisher in China, but apparently not. 
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    I heard on reddit it's because they didn't make UI controls with PC players in mind first.
    Can't tell if you are being sarcastic but is it that bad on PC though? I see all the complaints but I have 5 or 6 friends who are playing 24/7 on PC and all of them seem perfectly okay with the controls. Although one of my friends said he had to change settings to make the controls work better with KB/M
    [Deleted User]Thahar
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Everyone should get a refund for one of the worst co-op queing systems ive ever seen.
    DAOWAceVerum0
    Torval said:
    Me rude and sarcastic? Panther, may it never be! :lol:
    Hahah! I actually do want to know how bad the controls are on PC though, it seems like there are so many huge threads about them and negative steam reviews. But I can't imagine they are that bad if people are still playing!
    Octagon7711
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    They're not that bad at all, people are overreacting. They ARE, however, a bit awkward, with multiple stuff being tied to one button rather than spreading them [like they were on the console version and every game previously]
    [Deleted User]Panther2103Thahar
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:
    What SBFord linked and also there's an entire stage designed around the skeleton of a previous monster hunter endgame boss (it's not blatantly obvious though). There's plenty of skeleton related things like armor with bone on it, and bone weapons. I don't know how harsh their anti-skeleton policies are though, I only knew about the Wrath of the Lich King edits.
    Apparently the skeleton thing it a bit of misconception and it's down to the rules being quite broad. From what I read;

Ministry of Culture forbids:

• Gambling-related content or game features
    • Anything that violates China’s constitution
    • Anything that threatens China’s national unity, sovereignty, or territorial integrity.
    • Anything that harms the nation’s reputation, security, or interests.
    • Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures.
    • Anything that violates China’s policy on religion by promoting cults or superstitions.
    • Anything that promotes or incites obscenity, drug use, violence, or gambling.
    • Anything that harms public ethics or China’s culture and traditions.
    • Anything that insults, slanders, or violates the rights of others.
    • Other content that violates the law

So it's hard to place what it could fall under, so I think companies tend to just play it safe and change what they can so not to tread on the governments toes. Who knows what cause it, maybe someone can put the pieces together from this. 
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Alomar
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    I heard on reddit it's because they didn't make UI controls with PC players in mind first.
    It violates China's multi-functionaly key clause:

"Whenever possible, secondary attack and interact are NOT to be combined to the same keystroke."
    :D
    [Deleted User]BeezerbeezTacticalZombeh

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Herase said:

Tiamat64 said:

Hashbrick said:

Apparently the skeleton thing it a bit of misconception and it's down to the rules being quite broad. From what I read;

• Anything that threatens China’s national unity, sovereignty, or territorial integrity.
    • Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures.
    • Anything that violates China’s policy on religion by promoting cults or superstitions.

So it's hard to place what it could fall under, so I think companies tend to just play it safe and change what they can so not to tread on the governments toes. Who knows what cause it, maybe someone can put the pieces together from this. 

They view the dead differently than most the rest of the world.

"Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures."

Falls under this to a T
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Maybe they have a law that forbids the sale of any game that doesn't have opportunities for gold farming.
    WraithoneReverielleSamhaelTacticalZombeh
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Bots must not work well in the game....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    There's more to the story that is not being told.

This ban was not China as a whole but just China's rip off of Steam run by Tencent called WeGame.

Unconfirmed but people on Chinese Steam are saying that they purposely complained so it would be taken down so those buyers would then come over to Steam to play.
    FrodoFraginsWraithoneinfomatz
  • AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited August 2018
    Vaal Hazak is the reason, I'd guess. End-game monster that literally is like, a necromantic dragon. It revives dead enemies, and starts on a pile of corpses.
    SBFordLokero[Deleted User]cheyane
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Hashbrick said:

Herase said:

Tiamat64 said:

Hashbrick said:

They view the dead differently than most the rest of the world.

"Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures."

Falls under this to a T

"Gambling-related content or game features"? Well they won't be putting out another license for anything MMO like then.
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    edited August 2018
    Herase said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hashbrick said:

this Chinese are very superstitious and if u have skeletons reserructing or undead it would be an issue. 
    or

some creature might resemble their cultural dragons
    or

payback to Japan for WW2
    Limitations
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sounds awfully fishy,so i began to do some digging.
    It seems the Chinese regulatory commission has not approved a single game yet,so how can they all of a sudden regulate MHW?
    So the rumor has it that Steam is about to launch in China,there is a lot of money involved with Steam and WEGAME aka MWH are in direct competition with Steam.

So is Steam supporters paying off some bureaucrat's to strong arm the release of MHW?
    I mean seriously,they have allowed hundreds,thousands of games to be released without license without the commission's say so and now all a sudden they decide to step in...pfft,there is money involved,it is the root of all that is evil for certain.

sumdumguy1Wraithoneinfomatz

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.