Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What reward system do you think works the best?

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    iixviiiix said:
    Why give free reward while you can add it to game contents and make the game better ?
    That's my serious question .

BTW , the one reward for login i think the best are free EXP , not EXP boost but free EXP . It help a lots even for Alts account .
    Sometime i don't even feel to leveling because it pain in *** to keep doing those horrible tasks or doing heavy grind

Aside from that i prefer inventory expansion as login reward .

One of the few things I liked about AoC, as a subscriber you got exp while logged off and could apply it any of you characters.  As a lifetime member in STO you get credits every month.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The best reward system is one that doesn't let you buy stuff in a cash shop. Where you have to actually play the game.
    ultimateduck

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is only one type of reward that belongs in these world type rpg's.That would, be a plausible reward given by a resident of the game world...a npc or of course,another player.
    Dailies are nonsense,they do not belong in a living world,they are a fake piece of content that makes no sense that some phantom being in the sky somewhere is handing out rewards.

This also relates to how xp is done as well,it is done flat out WRONG in 99% of the mmorpg's.XP is a nothing more than an abbreviation for experience which would relate to how much knowledge or proficient you are at some sort of skill.This again does NOT mean some phantom being in the sky should be handing out dbl or trpl xp weekends.

Bottom line is how these mmo+rpg's are handled by the developer is usually immersion breaking,they ruin their own game because they are too lazy to design the game properly and too lazy to add in proper mechanics that relate to a plausible living world.

So when 99% of ther devs can't get their own design down and don't understand the very genre they are designing for,how can we expect them to understand rewards?

ScorchienkjempffkitaradultimateducklaseritNilden

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Wizardry said:
    There is only one type of reward that belongs in these world type rpg's.That would, be a plausible reward given by a resident of the game world...a npc or of course,another player.
    Dailies are nonsense,they do not belong in a living world,they are a fake piece of content that makes no sense that some phantom being in the sky somewhere is handing out rewards.

This also relates to how xp is done as well,it is done flat out WRONG in 99% of the mmorpg's.XP is a nothing more than an abbreviation for experience which would relate to how much knowledge or proficient you are at some sort of skill.This again does NOT mean some phantom being in the sky should be handing out dbl or trpl xp weekends.

Bottom line is how these mmo+rpg's are handled by the developer is usually immersion breaking,they ruin their own game because they are too lazy to design the game properly and too lazy to add in proper mechanics that relate to a plausible living world.

So when 99% of ther devs can't get their own design down and don't understand the very genre they are designing for,how can we expect them to understand rewards?

Dam it , i agree with Wizardry ............... I need a bath now :)
    Scotkjempffkitaradultimateduck
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Scorchien said:
    Wizardry said:

Dam it , i agree with Wizardry ............... I need a bath now :)
    Hehe yup, he is so spot on it is scary :)
    kitaradScorchien
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Maybe we should all go back to playing Mario where fun comes first, and we can work on becoming less addicted to chasing digital swords that we technically don't even own according to the developers.

It feels like digital rewards are becoming a cheap replacement for the developers inability to create fun gameplay, and interesting content. I don't know how much longer I can stomach games where the sole focus is on becoming a demi-god through "magical" items.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    When I start playing a MMO jsut for the dailies, then I usually end up moving on shortly thereafter.
    Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited August 2018
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Isn't the purpose of log-in rewards obvious? If you're logged in you might spend, if you're not you won't. That's all.

it's a simple marketing gimmick and has fuck all to do with them feeling your actions deserve a reward.
    Have you ever logged into a game, just to get the daily reward and thought "Holy shit I better spend some money before I log off"

Has anyone on this forum thought that?

I sincerely want to know.

That's a fancy way to say "Nope"

which shoots down your whole point.
    You seem to be intentionally obtuse, demanding people respond directly to questions or points unrelated to the conversation or are clear to everyone else.

It's tedious to explain every little thing, such as the point you tried to force here.

It is obvious that in order to sell something to a gamer, you normally have to get them interested in logging in to play the game.

Turning your question around, how often do you suppose people are sitting in front of their TV and it suddenly hits them, "hey, I need to buy a new sparkle pony in "insert game name here"" and off they go.

Obviously, if they think, "whoops, better log in, time to complete the daily quests for the free loot, extra experience etc, there is greater opportunity to sell something to the player."

Of course, again obviously the first thing they think of isn't let's go buy something....unless of couse they are offered a pop up that "informs" them of the great new items for sale in the cash shop.

Still more opportunities to make a sale though.  Player continues onward and completes his dailies, and gets a few "golden loot boxes" which may contain a great reward, perhaps even a magic sparkle pony.  They may even have gotten 1 free key, but for more they can be easily purchased in the cash shop.

Or perhaps the devs aren't quite so obvious,  so the player finds as part of the daily loot he received the special saddlebag of super storage, which he can put on any mount he owns. 

Except our player doesn't own a mount yet, failing to have spent 235 hours clearing the elven dungeon of death 70 or so times or the gods of RNG have been unkind.

But wait, the player remembers,  they sell horses in the cash shop.  While checking them out, they see in addition to the regular boring horses which cost $20 each, there is a magic sparkle pony for only $50 which would be far more awesome to be seen riding around on, so out comes the credit card.

Whew, now that really did take far to long to write, and again, I am positive you know all of this, as does almost everyone you are debating with.

You are being willfully obtuse, why? To pick a fight?  Mock others? Force us to over explain obvious points?  Must be some reason.

You are correct though,  most times people will say "nope, not going to bother to explain all of this" and be dismissive in their replies.
    kitaradIselinPhryMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:

Of course, again obviously the first thing they think of isn't let's go buy something....unless of couse they are offered a pop up that "informs" them of the great new items for sale in the cash shop.

This is exactly what ESO just did with the Summerset update. Prior to that you would get an "on sale" small pop-up occasionally when they had a sale or had added something new of significance.

When they added daily log-in rewards they used that as an excuse to do it on every log-in with the "new and improved " combo daily rewards timer + supersized almost full screen pop-up.

... and enterprising modders came up with a mod to suppress that screen within days :) No such luck for console players who can't have add-ons though.

On your other point... it seems to me that the dude's just walking around with a chip on his shoulder. Willfully obtuse had already occurred to me although I'm not 100% certain about the willful part.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Isn't the purpose of log-in rewards obvious? If you're logged in you might spend, if you're not you won't. That's all.

it's a simple marketing gimmick and has fuck all to do with them feeling your actions deserve a reward.
    Have you ever logged into a game, just to get the daily reward and thought "Holy shit I better spend some money before I log off"

Has anyone on this forum thought that?

I sincerely want to know.

That's a fancy way to say "Nope"

which shoots down your whole point.
    You seem to be intentionally obtuse, demanding people respond directly to questions or points unrelated to the conversation or are clear to everyone else.

It's tedious to explain every little thing, such as the point you tried to force here.

It is obvious that in order to sell something to a gamer, you normally have to get them interested in logging in to play the game.

Turning your question around, how often do you suppose people are sitting in front of their TV and it suddenly hits them, "hey, I need to buy a new sparkle pony in "insert game name here"" and off they go.

Obviously, if they think, "whoops, better log in, time to complete the daily quests for the free loot, extra experience etc, there is greater opportunity to sell something to the player."

Still more opportunities to make a sale though.  Player continues onward and completes his dailies, and gets a few "golden loot boxes" which may contain a great reward, perhaps even a magic sparkle pony.  They may even have gotten 1 free key, but for more they can be easily purchased in the cash shop.

Or perhaps the devs aren't quite so obvious,  so the player finds as part of the daily loot he received the special saddlebag of super storage, which he can put on any mount he owns. 

Except our player doesn't own a mount yet, failing to have spent 235 hours clearing the elven dungeon of death 70 or so times or the gods of RNG have been unkind.

But wait, the player remembers,  they sell horses in the cash shop.  While checking them out, they see in addition to the regular boring horses which cost $20 each, there is a magic sparkle pony for only $50 which would be far more awesome to be seen riding around on, so out comes the credit card.

Whew, now that really did take far to long to write, and again, I am positive you know all of this, as does almost everyone you are debating with.

You are being willfully obtuse, why? To pick a fight?  Mock others? Force us to over explain obvious points?  Must be some reason.

You are correct though,  most times people will say "nope, not going to bother to explain all of this" and be dismissive in their replies.
    Well to start off. Thanks for not being a Troll like some other people.

But let us discuss this.

See, the way I see it, people try to blame these reward systems as cash grabs.

But the question I posed was, do they actually work? 

And truth is. I personally do not think they do.

Namely because, a player would first need to like a game enough to play it as the game it is before the log-in reward would ever matter. (and as you clearly illustrated, things like RNG farms have a better impact on sales then free rewards for logging in) 

I also believe that a player that enjoys a game and willing to spend money on it, would spend money on the game no matter what the Log-in baubles were thrown at them.

Equally so, a player unwilling to spend money on a game is not suddenly going to start because they got a log in reward.

Now, you made a good point that the log-in reward was a disguised advertisement. Ok fair enough.

But that would not get someone unwilling to spend money to start spending, it simply serves as a means to direct those willing to spend money on something to spend it on.

Of course that is, Assuming they set the Log-in Reward up that way.

Like for example, in GW2, they don't mention the store at all with their daily rewards, so in a game like GW2, the Log-in rewards do not even serve as an insidious advert for their daily sales (which was your best point BTW)

While in Trove, I am met with a large screen spanning banner that reminds me I am not a Patron member and links the store sales, only after shutting that down do I get to my log-in rewards.

Which, again, makes the log-in rewards kinda pointless as disguised advert for them as well.

Maybe you play a game that does it better.. I haven't see it yet.

That is why simply that I do see it as the money grab that some are parading it off to be.

On top of that.. 

When I start playing a MMO jsut for the dailies, then I usually end up moving on shortly thereafter.
    This a thousand times over.

If I get to the point where I am not logging in play the game as the game that is.. it's a very short order before I simply walk away, and maybe only come back at the behest of a friend, and In those cases, the last thing I want to deal with is a bunch of button presses that fill up my inventory space.

Just saying.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Iselin said:

If that's the goal, then the reward shouldn't just be for logging in.  It should be for logging in and opening the game shop.  Unless, of course, logging in takes you directly to the game shop.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:

If that's the goal, then the reward shouldn't just be for logging in.  It should be for logging in and opening the game shop.  Unless, of course, logging in takes you directly to the game shop.
    See above in my reply to @Kyleran. That is exactly how the log-in rewards in ESO are implemented: the first thing you see IS the store ad. And they're not the only one that does it this way.

But it doesn't even have to be that way nor is this unique to gaming. Getting the customer into the store is the first step and what supermarkets and other stores have been doing for decades with flyers. Log-in rewards in games are just their way of doing the same thing.

They could care less what you do after you log-in. They just want to increase log-in volume in hopes that this extra volume will drive a corresponding increased volume of cash shop sales.

In ESO some of those log-in rewards are also loot crates (in addition to their frequent loot crate giveaways they have been doing for the past year - also just for logging in on certain designated weeks.) That gimmick is all about getting those who normally don't buy crates opening some in hopes that they will also buy some later. This is also not unique to ESO and some (GW2, SWL and others) just put those crates as world drops in your inventory, give you a much smaller number of free keys also as drops and hope you'll pony up for more cash shop keys to open your excess crates/chests.

Whether it works or how well it works only they know since that data is not available. But since this has all become standard F2P (or the F2P variant known as B2P) practice, you'd have to think it's working well enough.

PhryMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Rewards is such bad terminology in this instance. How about we call them Freebies of Enticement.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    idk.. a reward track that you can actively work on? i kinda dug the way gw2 did it with reward tracks for pvp activities. you chose what you wanted and started to grind away towards that. maybe not have it last so long with lots of filler trash in between. but still not a bad idea.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2018
    I saw one comment that just blows me away ...sigh

"That is why modern games are more successful than older games"yes and so?Does that mean newer games are better ?
    I have stated it MANY times,MOST of the mmorpg players do not belong in a mmorpg because they do NOT want to play a mmo or a rpg most just want something superficial,like loot or pvp.

So if Football makes the most revenue or say soccer,does that mean it is the best sport?
    Apple shares are worth double Microsoft,does that mean we should all be buying Apple because it MUST be better right?
    That is why we have opinions and TRY for some to base quality on it's core parts and not as a whole.

Rewards should be looked at with some common sense and plausible realism,that is about as simple as i can put it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:

There are games that open the store for you upon log in. 

Trove I know does this.

But this tactic is separate from the Log-In reward itself, as the store would open in those games if they gave you a reward or not.. Correct?

And if someone is only logging in for the daily reward, they are well past the point of spending money on the game, as the reality is, they are wondering if they should be playing something else.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Nilden said:
    The best reward system is one that doesn't let you buy stuff in a cash shop. Where you have to actually play the game.
    This reminds me of a game I played where you had to pay to keep your loot. It was almost as bad as it sounds. Imagine you run a raid, and get an item you have been looking for, to keep that item you would need to use a "Save Stone" (which is a store only item), or the item will vanish when you leave the Raid (or other high end instance dungeon).

Now, this sounds bad, but it had it's advantage. Raids were on a weekly timer for loot (Dungeons on a 3 day I think), so, if you didn't get what you wanted that run, you could simply not save, and be able to immediately run the Raid again (if you wanted).

However, If you saved, then you were done getting loot from that Raid for the rest of the week.

In this system, you had to play the game and earn every single bit of prestigious loot you had, but you also had to pay for it. So in a twist of breaking from the norm of either/or that we see in many games, in that game everyone with top tier loot both earned and paid for it.

Obviously, Some people loved it, some people hated it.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Well personally I grew up with "you have to work for it to earn it". Basically it's the opposite of entitlement where if I get daily login rewards I do nothing for I don't feel like I earned them because I didn't even play the game to get them.

It's kind of insulting and patronizing.

I want to play the game to get rewards. Not have things handed to me for doing nothing or close to it, (like logging in or going AFK).

It makes me not even want to play the game. I don't want to be rewarded for doing what is essentially nothing.

It's even worse if they want me to pay for what should be in-game rewards for playing the actual game. Which is pretty much everything that could be put in a cash shop. Just buying something in the game with cash defeats the point in me playing the game to earn it.

I don't want to buy a new mount for $25 bucks I want to do a cool quest with a crazy story that involves locating and taming, then training the mount. Hell even a crappy rep grind. You know actually playing the game.
    KyleranScotkjempfflaserit[Deleted User]

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Nilden said:
    Well personally I grew up with "you have to work for it to earn it". Basically it's the opposite of entitlement where if I get daily login rewards I do nothing for I don't feel like I earned them because I didn't even play the game to get them.

It's kind of insulting and patronizing.

I want to play the game to get rewards. Not have things handed to me for doing nothing or close to it, (like logging in or going AFK).

It makes me not even want to play the game. I don't want to be rewarded for doing what is essentially nothing.

It's even worse if they want me to pay for what should be in-game rewards for playing the actual game. Which is pretty much everything that could be put in a cash shop. Just buying something in the game with cash defeats the point in me playing the game to earn it.

I don't want to buy a new mount for $25 bucks I want to do a cool quest with a crazy story that involves locating and taming, then training the mount. Hell even a crappy rep grind. You know actually playing the game.
    This should be on the first page of the book "So You want to make a mmo?".
    The First line of "So you wanna make an MMO" reads "How do you plan to make money off this idea?"

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I would prefer games that allow the player to task themselves in order to achieve some strategic goal, and then achieving that goal is reward in itself, either by succeeding or failing, and still having fun playing.