Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMO with subcriptions too cheap? Games too cheap in general?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    They cant even retain customers at $15 a month, how is making it more expensive better?
    craftseekerAngel_PieroCaffynatedGdemamiMrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Have we worked out yet if Scavenger is Gorwe's evil twin, what with these through a mirror darkly threads? :)
    MrMelGibson
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited August 2018
    Celcius said:
    Robokapp said:

Expansions for example, like BFA are 50 dollars. But the amount should be more 90-140 dollars for how much work has gone into it.

please show us the math that produced this number.
    they were just examples, but what I feel they should be priced at since development is far more expensive than it used to be. I'll edit the post to clarify that.

But in any case, games are still far too cheap
    No, actually game development is cheaper then ever. Hence, you know, games like Stardew Valley being made by one guy.  Tripple A dev is more expensive, but Tripple A makes up a very small part of the industry at this point. The main reason for it's cost increase is marketing as well.

Also, gaming revenue is higher then HOLLYWOOD MOVIES. So yeah, I think they are doing okay :smile:

Also, unlike you, I have a source: https://www.nasdaq.com/article/investing-in-video-games-this-industry-pulls-in-more-revenue-than-movies-music-cm634585

/thread
    Game development is cheaper based on the sector of creation only. A mobile game can be very cheap. A game like Stardew Valley can be cheap because he is a good C# coder.
    A game like GTAV costs over $250 million USD in development costs alone. Game's like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter World, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, Doom require a tremendous amount of resources to create. To think otherwise is foolish. Revenue has climbed only because publishers have created multiple revenue streams for a project. IE; DLC, Microtransactions, Cash shops....

We use www.reportlinker.com on our team. You should read up. ;)
    So you are just proving my point. Games obviously don't need a price hike because they already make tons of money off MTX. If you think that prices being raised would suddenly make companies like Activision and EA scrap them, you are sorely mistaken. 

We already pay more then 60$ for video games. 
    Gdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2018
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:
    Robokapp said:

Expansions for example, like BFA are 50 dollars. But the amount should be more 90-140 dollars for how much work has gone into it.

they were just examples, but what I feel they should be priced at since development is far more expensive than it used to be. I'll edit the post to clarify that.

No, actually game development is cheaper then ever. Hence, you know, games like Stardew Valley being made by one guy.  Tripple A dev is more expensive, but Tripple A makes up a very small part of the industry at this point. The main reason for it's cost increase is marketing as well.

Also, gaming revenue is higher then HOLLYWOOD MOVIES. So yeah, I think they are doing okay :smile:

Also, unlike you, I have a source: https://www.nasdaq.com/article/investing-in-video-games-this-industry-pulls-in-more-revenue-than-movies-music-cm634585

/thread
    Game development is cheaper based on the sector of creation only. A mobile game can be very cheap. A game like Stardew Valley can be cheap because he is a good C# coder.
    A game like GTAV costs over $250 million USD in development costs alone. Game's like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter World, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, Doom require a tremendous amount of resources to create. To think otherwise is foolish. Revenue has climbed only because publishers have created multiple revenue streams for a project. IE; DLC, Microtransactions, Cash shops....

So you are just proving my point. Games obviously don't need a price hike because they already make tons of money off MTX. If you think that prices being raised would suddenly make companies like Activision and EA scrap them, you are sorely mistaken. 

How does God of War make more than their $60? You just proved my point. Customers only see the front end and say "Oh we should not have to pay more" 
    Developers see the backend as well and know we are not getting nearly the ROI for a project as we could have or should have or used to. Not everyone is Actibizz or EA. 

God of War is an extreme exception. Don't give me that crap. You know most big games have monetization out the wazoo beyond the initial buy in. The only reason that they do not add a whole bunch of MTX to a game like God of War is because they don't have to. Console exclusives specifically get a pass because they sell systems. Without exclusives you don't sell consoles. Also this: https://www.amazon.com/God-War-Digital-Deluxe-Code/dp/B074T7MTCX would like a word. 

Also, even CDPR has DLC. (They just call it expansions), and they are another exception to the rule as well as far as good DLC goes.

For every 1 game that has no MTX (As in, No cost beyond the initial buy in) there are probably 10 with it. (Tripple A obviously is what I mean here) 

And once again, let me remind you: If the price on video games were to raise, MTX are not going anywhere. We will still get plenty of DLC and horse armor. 
    Gdemami
    edited August 2018
    I mean chances are that someone would have tried to raise the price already by now if there was a marketing analyst that determined it was worth it. It is not like there is some rule in place that forces all games to be the same price. If it becomes worth it, you will see the price raise. Until then; we can only speculate as to why the price is not raised. (Hint: Because people won't pay it) 
    Gdemami
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    As a note before the actual post, the amount here is all in USD. Also the numbers are examples, but what I "feel" they should be priced due to how expensive it is to make good quality games these days compared to the past. But in any case, games are still far too cheap

In general, games are too cheap...60 dollars isn't very much in todays world. Games should cost over 150 dollars for a brand new game, in how expensive everything else is. Development in todays world is far more expensive than it used to be.

But, MMOs also seem to have by far too cheap subscriptions. For a while, they cost 10 dollars...but then it only went up five dollars to 15. For an MMO to prosper, and also maybe even rely on cash shops less...they really should cost anywhere from 30 (double the price) to even 60 dollars a month of current priced games.

I think companies are afraid of increasing the price to the appropriate amount of how much things cost cause they think people will scoff at the price. But, they really need to not just slightly increase the price...but dramatically increase the price to match todays economy and how expensive it is to develop games.
    First and foremost. Game development costs have gone up yes, but so has the amount of people buying games as they have gone mainstream.  An MMORPG charging 30 - 60 dollars for a sub would immediately kill itself. Not to mention that MMORPG subs could of realistically come down instead of going up. The cost of bandwidth and server grade hardware to run these things is cheaper than it has ever been  and ultimately there is no excuse to raise it unless they want to completely alienate their player base. 

Games won't rise up in price because quite frankly the market won't bear it. Price sits at what the market will bear for any product out there and they've found that raising up too much is going to cause less people to buy the game. 60 dollars for the base game and then whatever for digital deluxe versions tacked on or what have you are what the market will bear. It is what consumers consider a fair price. 

If we break it down your ideas don't work from an economic standpoint and if developers attempted it they'd probably be digging their own graves especially with the economy split in some of the larger market  segments for them like the US and large parts of europe/asia.  Your ideas only work in a marketplace where we have almost everyone at the mid - upper to upper middle class in their given area.  It would actually hurt the marketplace both from a gamer and developer perspective to raise the prices as then it becomes "well this person might of bought multiple games but instead only bought one" also realisticlaly running an MMORPG is negligible on bandwidth/server costs. Support staff are few and far between and often a joke these days. So ultimately there isn't a crap load of costs to them for doing it and many can keep things going really easily with a sub going. Consider even if a game only has 1 mill players and a 15 dollar sub. That's 15 mill a month or 160 mill a year just from subs not to mention ongoing box sales, potential outfit sales, weapon skin sales, pet/mount sales etc. 

Even if rumors that they put 75% of their income into server/bandwidth costs is true WoW still makes a substantial amount of money as do most other mmorpgs.  Also lets add in that some  game's budgets are so high because they hire on bigger name actors/actresses for their voice work or even to appear in the game visually.
    CelciusAngel_PieroGdemami
    mmolou said:
    Please show evidence to back up the claim that it is more expensive to make good quality games today than it was in the past (also, clarify what you mean by the term "the past", and who is to decide what is a good quality game, and how are they going to do so?).
    So are saying that you can’t see how games being made today are more expensive to make and market than they were 30 years ago? Really? 
    mmolou said:
    Please show evidence to back up the claim that it is more expensive to make good quality games today than it was in the past (also, clarify what you mean by the term "the past", and who is to decide what is a good quality game, and how are they going to do so?).
    So are saying that you can’t see how games being made today are more expensive to make and market than they were 30 years ago? Really? 
    Games are not more expensive to market these days realistically with how widespread use of the internet is and things like twitch are. It is very easy to get exposure now comparatively. Just because some games make a massive budget for things like advertising doesn't mean it is necessarily the actual costs. 
    CelciusGdemami
    DMKano said:
    The price of making MMOs has gone up drastically, but the sales price has remained the same because the masses dont want to shell out more than they did 20 years ago.

So the sub price is still $15 today.

To make for the difference (and more) cash shop model has become widespread, even games with a box price and sub have a cash shop now.

So if you want to pay more - spend money in the cash shop.
    It's also largely because a lot of income hasn't increased much in the last 20 years so people have about the same to spend on gaming as they ever did so jacking up the prices when people have the same or less is nonsensical. 
    Gdemami
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited August 2018
    I am surprised they don't have an elite server or two.  Pay more money for no cash shop and other perks.

I think it shows just how much profits from cash shops are from those who would buy elit servers.  

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2018
    It really is surprising to read so many uniformed opinions touting themselves as facts. 
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:
    Robokapp said:

/thread

How does God of War make more than their $60? You just proved my point. Customers only see the front end and say "Oh we should not have to pay more" 
    Developers see the backend as well and know we are not getting nearly the ROI for a project as we could have or should have or used to. Not everyone is Actibizz or EA. 

God of War is an extreme exception. Don't give me that crap. You know most big games have monetization out the wazoo beyond the initial buy in. The only reason that they do not add a whole bunch of MTX to a game like God of War is because they don't have to. Console exclusives specifically get a pass because they sell systems. Without exclusives you don't sell consoles. Also this: https://www.amazon.com/God-War-Digital-Deluxe-Code/dp/B074T7MTCX would like a word. 

Also, even CDPR has DLC. (They just call it expansions), and they are another exception to the rule as well as far as good DLC goes.

For every 1 game that has no MTX (As in, No cost beyond the initial buy in) there are probably 10 with it. (Tripple A obviously is what I mean here) 

And once again, let me remind you: If the price on video games were to raise, MTX are not going anywhere. We will still get plenty of DLC and horse armor. 
    You are as entitled as you are uninformed. 
    This is what happens when you can't come up with a logical argument for something that neither you nor I know absolutely nothing about in the end. 
    rodingoAngel_PieroGdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2018
    I can use an extreme example as well. Fortnite. Fortnite makes more money monthly then most games make in a year and it has no buy in. Oh here are a few more that make ludicrous money with only one having a 40$ buy in: Hearthstone, League of Legends, and Overwatch. Man, all these examples of reasons why games are already sufficiently priced sure do defeat your argument huh?  :smile: Fortunately there is an ignore feature for people who love to get in the last word though! 
    GdemamiMrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    This is a troll post and nothing else. No logic, no thought, just an attempt to rile people up.
    Celciusblamo2000Angel_Piero[Deleted User]craftseeker

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Harafnir said:
    This is a troll post and nothing else. No logic, no thought, just an attempt to rile people up.
    This is probably accurate. It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that they should not raise the price of games, let alone subscriptions. 
    Thupliblamo2000craftseekerGdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Games have been the same price since the 1990’s and even in the 80’s
    they absolutely should be priced higher. 
    Studios know this as well but are afraid of the backlash involved with raising the price. 
    For those who say they should be cheaper because of micro transactions well why do you think developers started to do this in the first place? To recoup a larger ROI 
    I worked on a project for the PS3 launch and the team thought of releasing it at a $69.99 price point but Sony would not allow it. Saying market baseline is what it is. Saying gamers won’t spend that kind of money on a game. Which the team found funny considering the hardware was so highly priced. 

Bullshit!!!
    Games in 80s-90s you bought them and that was it now every few months you have to buy new expac which is not really an expac is part of the original game cut in purpose to be sold for more money and how about season pass and subscription those didn't exist in the 80s and 90s.
    CelciusGdemami
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    You are right games have been the same price for 30 years. Why raise them to allow a better life for the developers. smh
    Do you mean the developers or the executives?  I've never heard anything about any company making fancy-graphics games using profit-sharing with the people actually making the games.

Gdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다