Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hunt: Showdown

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
So I played this a lot this weekend because it was a free weekend, and I gotta say...  The gameplay loop is intensely satisfying.

It's a pretty brutal mix of PvP and PvE with a western/horror setting that works really well.  The environment design does a great job of immersing one into the setting and keeping things tense.

The monsters encountered can all be frightening due to the way weapons work, as this isn't Vermintide and you can't just wail away fast as lightning.  Melee attacks have wind ups and these are shotguns, revolvers, and repeaters you're firing; don't expect much more than a round or two per second firing rate.  Which is kinda good, because ammo isn't plentiful.

The boss mobs you're competing against other Hunter teams to kill and banish are serviceable, but could be a lot better.  I enjoyed the spider much more than the butcher, merely because the way the spider moves and can crawl up walls and on ceilings makes it a much more vicerally enjoyable exeprience.  The butcher could use more memorable combat tactics, as he's merely a big lumbering bullet sponge with heavy attack damage.

I think it's worth the price tag on it currently as the PvP element keeps things interesting, but could only see myself paying $40-60 with more optimization (it doesn't look good enough to warrant lower settings than I run in Witcher 3) and a few extra maps and boss mob encounters.

All in all, it's a really solid framework for a really great title.  The game mode is certainly unique enough to set it apart from anything else available currently.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    David Adams is the lead so no surprise the game is good. He is a master game maker. A real talented guy. 
    It definitely shows.  I was wary at first, but the way it includes PvP is very intentional and fits well.  Fights become intense due to the aforementioned old-timey guns that have a slow firing rate and long reload times.  With larger teams or better guns, it would be more frustrating as one person would likely instantly go down in a first barrage, but here you're largely only ever facing two hostile players at a time with either shotguns that have low clip counts or repeaters/revolvers that have a slow fire rate and are more prone to misses.

The ambience is really good all-around.  They really nailed that.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Looks weak to me.
    Looks just like the other survival games,the mob AI is weak,like VERY weak to the point the players really don't care about the mobs ,instead keep their eye on real players.

I am looking for intriguing games,there are literally hundreds,thousands of pew pew pvp games on the market,i don't need anymore with knives and single barrel shotguns.
    IDK what the hand waving ordeal is but looks to be a copied idea from Dishonored.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I did like it, game world seemed interesting and dark, nice little details here and there and alot of things to give sound cues if someone is approaching (crows,broken bottles, dogs and my favorite the dying horses on the ground crying) but it still feels like an unfinished game (which it is ofc).

But the main thing that made me not want to buy it was that it felt the game had forced mouse smoothing like in F4 or something.
    MadFrenchie