Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW's Game Director On BfA's Pre-Event; Metzen on Toxic Nerd Culture - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.co

124»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

laserit said:

It's not just nerd rage online, this is a very human trait, unfortunately.  It's not unique to gamers, either.  The internet has just given a very large forum to those people (as well as all other types).

You guys remember the principal from Ferris Bueller's Day Off?  Yea, that guy got harassed in person back in the 80s for his work as the "bad guy."

Larry Hagman stated that back when played J. R. Ewing Jr. On the soap opera Dallas he was attacked and hit over the head by angry little old ladies on more than one occasion because his character was such a bastard. He said "it hurt! In Texas little old ladies carry guns in their purses."

You really have to feel for that guy who played Joffrey Baratheon 

Or Jar Jar Binks

But I like Will Smith....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited August 2018

Viper482 said:

Saying that....I think a lot of Horde players are misguided in that they have been led on to believe the Horde were boy scouts all this time....I mean you have a race of freaking zombies on your side, come on.

#morallygraymyass

huh? Nobody thought the horde were boy scouts, but they weren't evil like so many alliance fanboys want to claim all of the sudden. Anyone that played the three RTS games knows the origin of the Alliance and the Horde and neither was good or evil. The forsaken were tacked onto the Horde to add a race for WOW.

I chose the Horde not because I thought they were evil, but because they were different than 99% of RPGs. If I want to play as or with humans, there are a million games for that.

Anyway, they done fucked up with the Horde the past few expansions. Calling them out for shitty writing is perfectly fair. Going beyond that is shitty and a very tiny percent of the community does that.

So....I say "a lot of Horde players" and you come back with "nobody thought". Seriously man, learn to articulate without absolutes. There are literally players on the WoW forums loyal to the Horde that claim the Alliance are the bad guys and Horde are the good guys....so to say "nobody" is either ignorant or intellectually dishonest. 

You keep using your views to defend yourself as though I personally called you out as being one of the players in question....kind of vain don't you think? If it doesn't apply to you awesome....good on ya! But to say it applies to "nobody" is silly.
    [Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The new age term for weirdos that instead of outright flaming someone or many people think it is more discreet or cooler if you cal them toxic.
    Blizzard makes their money by creating the "compete" attitude" and gives ranks to make others look like lower standard players,then call some or however many toxic...lmao.

So ALL sports have a compete and in all sports there is always going to be at times anger and issues with the opposing players.So all sports people are toxic,ok i get it ,he thinks he is cool using this new age term.
    Businesses are often toxic,competing against each other,out for the same buck and will call out competitors as being lesser of the quality than themselves.

Hmm ok i get it ,everyone is at times toxic,let's label all of society as toxic,can't just move from moment to moment we need to label people because being on the internet,that is the new age cool thing to do,a bunch of weirdos if you ask me.
    I even remember reading a thread on Gamasutra a couple years ago where some developer was calling all gamer's toxic for using so much negativity about their games.Yep everyone wants to insult anyone else whom doesn't either make them look good,agree with everything they say or do anything that might harm their ability to get rich exploiting naive gamer's.

Caffynated

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    edited August 2018
    SBFord said:
    Margrave said:

And just like that, Metzen insured that I will not be returning to WoW.

What atrocious customer relations he has.

Never a good idea to call customers, former, potential, or otherwise, names.

I will not return as long as he continues to write for them.

He's just upset that his little narrative wasn't loved by all. He showed what he's made of with this. I thought it would have been sterner stuff.

You do realize that Metzen retired at least a couple years ago and doesn't write for them any more?
    Well, sadly this clickbait topic name portrays Metzen as if he still was the game director. Everyone who has played WoW or kept within times knows Metzen is gone.
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Rawiz said:
    SBFord said:
    Margrave said:

And just like that, Metzen insured that I will not be returning to WoW.

What atrocious customer relations he has.

Never a good idea to call customers, former, potential, or otherwise, names.

I will not return as long as he continues to write for them.

He's just upset that his little narrative wasn't loved by all. He showed what he's made of with this. I thought it would have been sterner stuff.

You do realize that Metzen retired at least a couple years ago and doesn't write for them any more?
    Well, sadly this clickbait topic name portrays Metzen as if he still was the game director. Everyone who has played WoW or kept within times knows Metzen is gone.
    First paragraph: "...former Blizzard developer Chris Metzen..."

In other news reading incomprehension reaches pandemic levels.
    ConstantineMerusJamesGoblin[Deleted User]Sovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Blizzard devs are what coined the "PVE Carebear" phrase for shut in nerds with no chance at a successful life.
    Aeander
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited August 2018

Nerds......... Can you pose like this? Didn't think so........ Toxic shits
    ConstantineMerus
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Wizardry said:

Hmm ok i get it ,everyone is at times toxic,let's label all of society as toxic,can't just move from moment to moment we need to label people because being on the internet,that is the new age cool thing to do,a bunch of weirdos if you ask me.

um, no.

Everyone is "not" toxic at times and no one is saying that "everyone in video games is being labeled."

Try again.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    thunderC said:

We rarely get a game dev who could be a vocalist for some Thrash Metal band from the 80s as well. Respect!
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    thunderC said:

We rarely get a game dev who could be a vocalist for some Thrash Metal band from the 80s as well. Respect!
    Is that the look he was going for ? I was thinking more along the lines of Liberace meets a Vidal Sassoon stylist. 
    laserit
    • Aloha Mr Hand !