Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Made Dungeons to Debut in Q4 2018 - Shroud of the Avatar News

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePlayer Made Dungeons to Debut in Q4 2018 - Shroud of the Avatar News

The latest Shroud of the Avatar newsletter is live on the game's official site. This time, the letter is anchored by the news that Player Made Dungeons will be arriving in-game as early as Q4 2018. The team is targeting that span of time and, until then, several placeholder, or

Read the full story here

Comments

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    "make our game for us.....also give us 1,000$ for a statue....."
    LeFantomedarkhearts[Deleted User]Rnjypsy[Deleted User]
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Yeah, right...2018.
    JamesGoblinLeFantome

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Yeah, right...2018.
    Yeah, right...dungeons. Yeah, right...game.
    postlarvalrodingo
     W...aaagh?
    Yeah, right...2018.
    Yeah, right...dungeons. Yeah, right...game.
    :-)

The "game" will be DOA before any dungeons are ready.

I really hope SotA goes down in flames soon. Maybe it will become an example of how not to build an MMO, build a "community",  and treat people who give you loads of money.

All they built was a crap game, a community of sniveling social misfit trolls, and reputation for being thieves. Good riddance.
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeQuicksand

Speaking of SotA community, virtually a minute ago I got a notification (via phone) about a reply under one of MarkeeDragon's videos - the one in which he explains that layoffs are not that bad(!) and yadda.

Here's what I said:

"They actually had 40+ (certainly less than 50) workers enlisted on their site couple years ago, so the remaining dozen is a leftover of a leftover.

Also, game teams usually GROW prior to launch (and then possibly shrink after player retention), a thing that didn't happen with SotA; On the contrary, they lost staff before launch, and then split the rest to half, furthermore it's unlikely that they'll stop bleeding."

And here's a quick fan reaction I got; kinda on-topic since he talks about dungeons (my favorite part is that about another fantastic release):

"And yet, wow, they managed another fantastic release and have player made dungeons coming in the next couple of releases. It's not all seeming so bad is it ? You guys don't actually play, do you ?"

postlarvalaxtrantiLeFantome
     W...aaagh?
    Speaking of SotA community, virtually a minute ago I got a notification (via phone) about a reply under one of MarkeeDragon's videos - the one in which he explains that layoffs are not that bad(!) and yadda.

Here's what I said:

"They actually had 40+ (certainly less than 50) workers enlisted on their site couple years ago, so the remaining dozen is a leftover of a leftover.

Also, game teams usually GROW prior to launch (and then possibly shrink after player retention), a thing that didn't happen with SotA; On the contrary, they lost staff before launch, and then split the rest to half, furthermore it's unlikely that they'll stop bleeding."

And here's a quick fan reaction I got; kinda on-topic since he talks about dungeons (my favorite part is that about another fantastic release):

"And yet, wow, they managed another fantastic release and have player made dungeons coming in the next couple of releases. It's not all seeming so bad is it ? You guys don't actually play, do you ?"

OK, I misspoke. They're not misfit trolls, they're clueless simpletons.

The SotA community suffers from an adherence to the concept of unfalsifiability, a component of both religious and ultra-left/right political groups. They act more like a militant religious cult than a game community.  The post history of their forums validates that quite clearly.

Those people are in for a hard landing.

JamesGoblinRnjypsyMadFrenchie

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2018

Here's what I said:

Well, the release very well could have been fantastic in his eyes (perhaps just getting one makes it so) and they are planning to deliver player made dungeons (even if the odds are long against it occurring) and likely you aren't playing atm, right?

So while perhaps a bit wide eyed, he really wasn't factually incorrect about anything that I can see.

Though sending you a personal message is creepy,  he is taking it far too personal as well.

ThupliJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'm thinking it might be a good idea for MMORPG.com to create a sticky thread titled "Why SotA sucks and always will, in the past, present and future."

Then everyone could regularly post all of their angst in it, leaving a thread like this to discuss the actual news item at hand, player made dungeons which I actually find of interest. 

LeFantomeaxtrantidevlonboy36JamesGoblinQuicksandThupli[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gustach

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

"make our game for us.....also give us 1,000$ for a statue....."

Milking the game as much as they can..they don't get as much from their famous begathon.
    JamesGoblin

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I bet those 200 players (via steam) can't wait for this.
    LeFantomeJamesGoblin
  • devlonboy36devlonboy36 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Woohoo! This is awesome.
    The actual game has an amazing community and now we have even more toys in the sandbox.
    LeFantomekenguru23JamesGoblinVoidfarerAlbatroesVladamirBegemotThuplipostlarvalGustach

Kyleran said:

I'm thinking it might be a good idea for MMORPG.com to create a sticky thread titled "Why SotA sucks and always will, in the past, present and future."

Then everyone could regularly post all of their angst in it, leaving a thread like this to discuss the actual news item at hand, player made dungeons which I actually find of interest. 

I see where you are coming from, and that's indeed a rational point of view - if one bases it on, say, MMORPG.com coverage, official updates/forums and such. Player made dungeons, sounds awesome!

Unfortunately, reality and " the actual news" is much closer to what we discussed above, than it is to just another empty promise.
     W...aaagh?
  • VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I'm pretty excited by this. Being able to make dungeons is another huge addition to an already awesome experience. The housing is top notch, being able to set up dynamic lights and really design out a space is amazing. With player made quests on the near horizon this will be even better.

The rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

Just got done with the 5v5 Duke's tournament. There were 65 people there when I counted.

Now I'm at the Virtue League tournament. Tomorrow is an in person market. Got a new tenant in my Inn.

The fact is that despite the negative remarks, there are a lot of us in the game enjoying it. And people can rag on us and the game all they want, but we're in there having fun. All the negativity in the world can't stop that.

Dungeons are going to be another awesome step. We're building a world here, and it's a fun thing to be a part of. Shroud has a lot to offer people who are bored of the same ol' same ol' in MMOs. We've got a real world we are building here, a very nice community, customizable combat, and huge crafting.

It's a fantastic game, come join us if you're up for building a world.
    LeFantomeJamesGoblinpostlarvalVoidfarerMikehaKylerandevlonboy36Gustach
    Relevant to the article (reposted from the forums.)

Chris talking about dungeons yesterday.

ThupliJamesGoblin
    I'm pretty excited by this. Being able to make dungeons is another huge addition to an already awesome experience. The housing is top notch, being able to set up dynamic lights and really design out a space is amazing. With player made quests on the near horizon this will be even better.

Just got done with the 5v5 Duke's tournament. There were 65 people there when I counted.

Now I'm at the Virtue League tournament. Tomorrow is an in person market. Got a new tenant in my Inn.

The fact is that despite the negative remarks, there are a lot of us in the game enjoying it. And people can rag on us and the game all they want, but we're in there having fun. All the negativity in the world can't stop that.

Dungeons are going to be another awesome step. We're building a world here, and it's a fun thing to be a part of. Shroud has a lot to offer people who are bored of the same ol' same ol' in MMOs. We've got a real world we are building here, a very nice community, customizable combat, and huge crafting.

There were 65 people.. and you proud of it? 65..
    When you say , there are a lot of us in the game enjoying it, you mean 200 players or so.  It is not a fantastic game as the combat sucks, the graphics are outdated to say the least. The quest system is none excitant , the game is empty , despite what you say. 
    Nobody is buying the game so LB have to rely on whales to keep the server on. They fired half of the team right before Chapter 2.. like they don't need anyone else to make chap 2. Yeah right.  They gave up half of the goals for chap 2 because they don't have enough  money , meaning, not enough players buying from their cash shop. 
    Remember what Darkstarr said ?  Darkstarr says game needs 50,000 active users per month to be profitable.

When you say, housing is top notch, your kidding, right?  I mean, you have to.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Have fun folks , dont listen to all the shitheads that pop into every single SOTA thread with the same regurgitated shit and agenda..

I may pop back in to check it soon myself .. But to much to do in UO as always
    VladamirBegemotMikehaKyleranpostlarvaldevlonboy36Gustach
    In case you missed it, they are already pre-selling parts of these in cash shop ($25-$100 range).

Instead of fulfilling at least some from a long list of their old obligations (say, finally shipping the physical items that were supposed to be shipped years ago) they are making new promises and cynically asking for more money.
    LeFantome
     W...aaagh?
    LeFantome said:

When you say , there are a lot of us in the game enjoying it, you mean 200 players or so.  It is not a fantastic game as the combat sucks, the graphics are outdated to say the least. The quest system is none excitant , the game is empty , despite what you say. 
    Nobody is buying the game so LB have to rely on whales to keep the server on. They fired half of the team right before Chapter 2.. like they don't need anyone else to make chap 2. Yeah right.  They gave up half of the goals for chap 2 because they don't have enough  money , meaning, not enough players buying from their cash shop. 
    Remember what Darkstarr said ?  Darkstarr says game needs 50,000 active users per month to be profitable.

Vlad seems to think we don't log in to check out what Portalarium tells others and what's really going on. Catching them in their lies has become a game unto itself, and it's quite fun, I might add. Lots of content to work with and something to do while I'm marathon crafting in another game.

You see, when you piss off a group of people who threw tons of money at you, the chance of creating an angry mob is pretty high, and a mob hell-bent on taking you down. What's that saying about a disgruntled customer with five-hundred Facebook friends being like a loaded gun?

I don't know about others, but I'm recouping my costs by taking it out in their hides. Still another $1200 to go.

Now my crafting is in progress and I still have roughly a dozen websites to expose SotA's lies on this afternoon. They should only owe me $1150 by end of day.

Gotta run.
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeKyleranStrizzy12

LeFantome said:

No, I mean 1000 or more right now. There's more than 200 on Steam alone right now.

Yeah, it's not a ton, we need more, but we're still going and the game gets better constantly.

A lot of the early review gripes have already been fixed, Task List/Quest Journal not included. The game is solid, it's fun, and there is a ton of stuff to do. Yeah, you guys scare people off but eventually we'll get over the population hump and all the negging isn't going to matter.
    MikehaJamesGoblinpostlarvalLeFantome

LeFantome said:

No, I mean 1000 or more right now. There's more than 200 on Steam alone right now.

<snip>
    Any source for "1000 or more"? BTW Steam average for last 30 days is only 147, with clear decrease tendency - https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

postlarvalLeFantome
     W...aaagh?
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Premium prices on DLC content that doesn't exist. Pay today, play tomorrow. Nothing weird about that.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I Support all different types of games, but after reading about this for years I have a hard time supporting this model.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

LeFantome said:

Yeah, it's not a ton, we need more, but we're still going and the game gets better constantly.

A lot of the early review gripes have already been fixed, Task List/Quest Journal not included. The game is solid, it's fun, and there is a ton of stuff to do. Yeah, you guys scare people off but eventually we'll get over the population hump and all the negging isn't going to matter.
    I dont think anyone really has a problem with people playing what they like. The real 'problem' comes into play when those same people who trying to carry a shrinking boulder on their back get surprised that there's nothing but sand after a while. Or, that the boulder turns into a muddy swamp known as a cash grab in order to "survive." This kind of stuff only breeds more cash grabs appearing simply because there's people foolish/desperate/etc to bite. Its like the old rmt issue. People always said that its the rmt'ers fault for offering and never the people who buy, but if you dont have a market, you essentially can't sell it. Yes, its 'your' money to do what 'you' want with, but people seem to think that their 'actions' dont breed other actions. And the real problem with that is multiple people thinking and doing the same thing. Eventually the 'minority' thinking becomes the 'majority.'

LeFantome said:

<snip>

Any source for "1000 or more"? BTW Steam average for last 30 days is only 147, with clear decrease tendency - https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

I don't think you'll have something there. The devs refused to give any kind of numbers.
    They also don't get as much money as they used to get with their telethon and as you said, steam average for last 30 days is only 147 .
    There's no smoke without fire.
    JamesGoblinpostlarval

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Great, they implement yet another system that removes content creating responsibility from themselves to the players. It's one thing if it was in addition to their wonderful dungeon system, but that is already distinctly lacking in this travesty of a game. I don't say this in some misguided attempt to change a white knight's mind, but to warn potential customers of the money grabbing shenanigans of a development company completely lacking in morals and integrity.
    JamesGoblinRnjypsyLeFantome