Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book Talk!

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
I'd like to start a thread all about books. I want to know what kinds of books others enjoy, where their interests lie, and maybe learn something new!

I enjoy reading. I read almost everyday. I have the time and I have lots of books :)

I mainly read Fantasy series and some Science Fiction. I've read some biographical books here and there like a Beatles biography a Rush biography, one on E. Gary Gygax, and one on the history of D&D.

Mainly, though, I enjoy most my fantasy novels. I won't bore you just yet with my "wonderful lists."

So... If you read books for pleasure, what is your pleasure?
What kinds of books do you like?
What authors really ring your bell?
Do you have any authors you avoid after reading a book or two of theirs?
Any books you're hyped about and want to discuss (old or upcoming)?

And the sixty-four dollar question: Paper media, audio books, eBooks, or a mix of any or all?

PS: Try not to "spoiler" any plots in the discussion :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Amathe

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    So... If you read books for pleasure, what is your pleasure? 

Mostly fiction.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historical fiction, Mystery, some Philosophy

Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, Ransom Riggs, Sartre

Steven King 

The Whitechapel Horrors, by Edward B. Hanna. Pitts Sherlock Holmes against Jack the Ripper, with hundreds of annotations to actual evidence from the real Ripper case. 

And the sixty-four dollar question: Paper media, audio books, eBooks, or a mix of any or all?

Traditional hard bound book whenever possible. Paperback otherwise. 

PS: Try not to "spoiler" any plots in the discussion 

Rosebud was his sled. Doh!
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Amathe said:
    So... If you read books for pleasure, what is your pleasure? 

Mostly fiction.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historical fiction, Mystery, some Philosophy

Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, Ransom Riggs, Sartre

Steven King 

The Whitechapel Horrors, by Edward B. Hanna. Pitts Sherlock Holmes against Jack the Ripper, with hundreds of annotations to actual evidence from the real Ripper case. 

Traditional hard bound book whenever possible. Paperback otherwise. 

PS: Try not to "spoiler" any plots in the discussion 

Rosebud was his sled. Doh!
    DAMMIT! There goes that book... :lol:

I used to read mystery books growing up. I read a lot of Ellery Queen and Encyclopedia Brown when younger. I need to get back into Mysteries as I still love a good mystery :)

The White Chapel Horrors sounds very interesting. I will be looking into this one!

I read the first four books of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, better known to non-readers as "A Game of Thrones", thanks to HBO. I watched the first three seasons of the show before giving up on it. I've tried going back to re-read the series but have HBO's interpretations invading
    my imagination. Eddard Stark looks like Sean Bean now. Tyrion Lannister has lost his "ugliness" and "twisted body" and now looks like Peter Dinklage. Aria Stark is totally lost, becoming a major badass in the show.

It's paper media for me, though I'd like to try an e-reader someday. Then I'd have to purchase all of my books again ;)

As for my favorite authors, they're all from the Fantasy/Sci-Fi arena:
    - Ann McCaffrey (and all her "McCaffreyisms") for her Dragonriders of Pern and Acorna series (what's the plural of "series?").
    - Wen Spencer who wrote the "Elfhome" (or Tinker) series that nicely blends near-future Earth with magic.
    - Elizabeth Moon who created my favorite "hero" of all time, Paksennarion, in her own series The Deeds of Paksennarion.
    - Jane Lindskold who wrote an interesting "girl raised by wolves" series called Firekeeper.
    - Melanie Rawn who wrote the Dragon Prince series.
    - Jennifer Fallon who wrote the Chronicles of Hythrun series.
    - David Eddings who wrote the Belgariad and Malloreon series.
    - Piers Anthony who has written more books than I can count, but I especially enjoy his Incarnations of Immortality series.
    - Tara K. Harper who wrote the Wolfwalker series, which I am currently reading again.
    - J. R. R. Tolkien who wrote The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I have not read his books in ages (since high school), but appreciate all of his background work on Middle Earth.
    -Lloyd Alexander who write The Chronicles of Prydain books that got me into reading at a young age.

Thanks for sharing!
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR