Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like 2019 will be a bit of a race

2»

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I don't follow the rest of them closely, but I feel pretty confident CU won't be launching in 2019. It might not even be in Beta 3 by the end of 2019.
    KyleranJamesGoblinOctagon7711

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Donuts are far more interesting than all of the games in the poll.

However, I'd place my "fun bet" on CU.

Kyleran said:

I listed them in alphabetical order so there could be no accusations of poll bias.
    Your parenthetical remarks tell a different story.  ;)
    Well.....no matter how I created the poll some would have considered it biased in one fashion or another.

I decided instead to go full monty and embrace it instead, more fun that way.
    postlarval

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Fun fact: I've never had a Krispy Kreme donut in my life...
    MadFrenchieJamesGoblinOctagon7711Scot
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited August 2018
    A solid poll, @Kyleran.  If I had a donut, I'd eat it and vote that way.  Since I don't have a donut (and have a surplus of medical professionals who would be happy to tell me in annoying voices how much I don't need that donut), I voted for WoW Classic.

First off, I *know* that WoW actually existed at one time and was a quality product.  Blizzard has the resources to pull off resurrection of an old version of their flagship game.  Since it's already been done, there are unlikely to be any of those last minute FUBAR moments that MMORPGs seem to be prone to -- WoW's already had it's teething pains.

The competitors would be wise to learn a lesson from EQ2.  Take your time, being first to the market won't preserve your customer base once the WoW juggernaut gets rolling.  If I were in charge of any of these other games-in-development, I'd seriously consider keeping 10-12 months between my launch and WoW Classic's launch, even if it means delaying my own product.  Maybe I'm giving Blizzard too much credit, but then again, someone with a cushy job might just find themselves without a job if they try to compete head-to-head with WoW.  Let players finish WoW Classic, then launch.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Forgrimm said:
    Da fuq??  I'm not sure how international the brand is...  You in Europe?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Forgrimm said:
    I think we have different understandings of what fun means..
    JamesGoblinAlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm said:
    Da fuq??  I'm not sure how international the brand is...  You in Europe?
    NJ, I think there's only 2 in the entire state.
    MadFrenchie
    Relampago said:
    I backed CU and Crowfall.  I actually think CF will softlaunch first.
    This.  The "Soft launch" was already suppose to happen.  The devs are expecting it this year.  They want the subscription revenue.  They are behind CS in crowdfunding by over $180 million and just announced they are at the $20 million mark.  World of Warcraft was created on a $30 million budget, but that was nearly 20 years ago when they started.  Obviously, things are much more expensive today in the development world.  Crowfall will win the launch race.

Why is WoW Classic even on the list?  They don't even have their dev team hired yet.
    Thrown in just for fun, have no idea where they stand on the project.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Relampago said:
    This.  The "Soft launch" was already suppose to happen.  The devs are expecting it this year.  They want the subscription revenue.  They are behind CS in crowdfunding by over $180 million and just announced they are at the $20 million mark.  World of Warcraft was created on a $30 million budget, but that was nearly 20 years ago when they started.  Obviously, things are much more expensive today in the development world.  Crowfall will win the launch race.

Why is WoW Classic even on the list?  They don't even have their dev team hired yet.
    Inevitable consequence of making a list is answering why there are certain things on the list and why certain other things aren't. People ask why Moses kept on wondering through the desert. I bet the term "WTF" was invented during that period. 
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Other, I'm sure some early access MMO will popup on Steam from out of nowhere. :smile:
    Mendel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Other, I'm sure some early access MMO will popup on Steam from out of nowhere. :smile:
    I'm not quite certain that MMO developers can keep their mouths shut long enough to have realistically created most of an MMO.  My guess is that games releasing in 2019 will have had to have started in 2016 or earlier.

But you're probably right, one will appear on Steam and it will definitely be out of nowhere.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    In fact, I just had a donut right now.

Where's the "I'M JEALOUS!" button? Would an "awesome" click be the same?
    JamesGoblinKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited August 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Relampago said:

Inevitable consequence of making a list is answering why there are certain things on the list and why certain other things aren't. People ask why Moses kept on wondering through the desert. I bet the term "WTF" was invented during that period. 
    Naw, I think he came up with WTF when after being delivered from Egypt, following pillars of smoke/fire, parting of the Red Sea, destruction of Egyptian army, and receiving mana from heaven to eat he comes down off the mountain with the two tablets only to find the people (lead by his brother) worshipping a golden calf.  

Clearly a WTF moment if there ever was one.

Their reply? ...you were away too long, its been 40 days.....(after 400 years of enslavement)

Likely when the 2nd WTF in history was uttered.

;)

AmatheAlBQuirkyConstantineMerusLokero[Deleted User]

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:

Or maybe C'MON MAN!
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Relampago said:

Naw, I think he came up with WTF when after being delivered from Egypt, following pillars of smoke/fire, parting of the Red Sea, destruction of Egyptian army, and receiving mana from heaven to eat he comes down off the mountain with the two tablets only to find the people (lead by his brother) worshipping a golden calf.  

Their reply? ...you were away too long, its been 40 days.....(after 400 years of enslavement)

Likely when the 2nd WTF in history was uttered.

;)

Well right now when someone is missing we call the police, inform search parties, promise rewards, etc. But world was different back then, when someone had gone missing they melted metal. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Mendel said:
    I'm not quite certain that MMO developers can keep their mouths shut long enough to have realistically created most of an MMO.  My guess is that games releasing in 2019 will have had to have started in 2016 or earlier.

But you're probably right, one will appear on Steam and it will definitely be out of nowhere.
    You say that as though MMO developers have to create most of an MMO before they can release it in early access.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Scot
    Mendel said:

Amazon seems to be doing a pretty good job at keeping a lid on whatever games they are developing.  Blizzard's probably got some new titles in the works of which we know very little.

[Deleted User]

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think 2019 will be like a race where everyone trips on something, and later on they compete in who gives the most positive interview on how their stumble counts as great work towards actually finishing next year.
    MadFrenchie

Vrika said:
    I think 2019 will be like a race where everyone trips on something, and later on they compete in who gives the most positive interview on how their stumble counts as great work towards actually finishing next year.
    Unfortunately you very well could be correct.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Vrika said:
    That was 2018, 2017... parts of 2016...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited August 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Mendel said:

You say that as though MMO developers have to create most of an MMO before they can release it in early access.
    My concern is that that gaming studios are looking at what indies are doing and thinking, "why don't we have some of that"? They already are to an extent, we had the cash shop open for sales before the game is launched at least a decade ago. But this more formalised paying while still in a state of development may end up being the norm. Every dodgy revenue practice ever thought up starts in one game and ends up in every game going, so no reason to think this won't happen.
    edited August 2018
    Scot said:
    Quizzical said:
    Mendel said:

My concern is that that gaming studios are looking at what indies are doing and thinking, "why don't we have some of that"? They already are to an extent, we had the cash shop open for sales before the game is launched at least a decade ago. But this more formalised paying while still in a state of development may end up being the norm. Every dodgy revenue practice ever thought up starts in one game and ends up in every game going, so no reason to think this won't happen.
    Larger studios are definitely are copying indies, Funcom did it with Conan Exiles, (charging money for buggy, half finished early access, see Rust or Ark) now Bethesda's Fallout 76 is selling early access, no wipe beta release, a trick definitely lifted from the indies. (See SotA, CF, many others) 

I am positive the established Devs and publishers are watching Star Citizen with great interest trying to figure out a way to tap into that market of consumer willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars to gain entry to an early access game, with no actual delivery date for a finished game ever confirmed.

Almost $200M in free cash to create a game is a very strong lure, and it won't surprise me if one day a studio like Electronic Arts offers some sort or crowd funding "opportunity ", so gamers can have a voice or feel invested in a games direction or for "extras" above and beyond the base game. (See Ashes for this pitch) 

ScotAlBQuirkyanemo

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Half of those games will be dead within a year of release.  It's not much of a race.  People are just desperate because things seem stagnant for them.