Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discord Opens a New Beta Storefront & a Unified Launcher - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Scorchien said:

Its to late to take on Steam :)

While this is true, people need to keep trying. One company can't control all digital games on PC. If other platforms that aren't developer specific keep opening up, and even one of them sticks, we get a better situation overall.
    That's cool and all, but it's getting to the point where I forget which client I own a particular game on lol.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Torval said:

SBFord said:

I am sorry, if you are allowing the left to speak freely but revoking accounts of people on the right for speaking freely or vice versa, then you violating the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution.  Just because you do not agree with the other side does not mean the other side is using HATE SPEECH.  I am sick of people hiding behind that phrase instead of talking with people of opposing views.  As such, I would never use the service as a launcher to the games I have purchased.  

As a privately owned company, they can do whatever they darned well please. The first amendment covers criticism of the US government. 

That said, stop with the political rhetoric, please or mods will close the thread.

What are you talking about? The first amendment covers a lot more than just criticism of the U.S. Government.
    It covers the government censoring you, not private companies, clubs, organizations, and groups. They don't have to give anyone a fair platform at all. So please don't tell us anymore of what you're talking about because it's not relevant.
    Not from the US as you know but this intrigues me and I know its off topic so sorry. If the government insists on social media/communications media censoring itself, does that not mean they are censoring you? Over here such companies are regularly pointed at by the government and told they have "to do something", not sure they are told what they have to do though.

Anyway I have no issues with Discord, it like all these other forms of communication, it needs some sort of censorship, it is just a matter of what sort.
    [Deleted User]
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    not get their panties in a twist just because you don't like what someone is saying 
    Oh irony...you cruel mistress.

I use discord heaps. While I don't need yet another game storefront, I do like their changes and will be interested where this road leads.
    [Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:

SBFord said:

I am sorry, if you are allowing the left to speak freely but revoking accounts of people on the right for speaking freely or vice versa, then you violating the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution.  Just because you do not agree with the other side does not mean the other side is using HATE SPEECH.  I am sick of people hiding behind that phrase instead of talking with people of opposing views.  As such, I would never use the service as a launcher to the games I have purchased.  

As a privately owned company, they can do whatever they darned well please. The first amendment covers criticism of the US government. 

That said, stop with the political rhetoric, please or mods will close the thread.

What are you talking about? The first amendment covers a lot more than just criticism of the U.S. Government.
    It covers the government censoring you, not private companies, clubs, organizations, and groups. They don't have to give anyone a fair platform at all. So please don't tell us anymore of what you're talking about because it's not relevant.
    You sir, are completely out of bounds as the topic in question is referring to people getting banned from Discord because of HATE SPEECH.  Hate speech can get you in legal trouble thus throwing that term out there has LEGAL meaning.  By the legal definition of hate speech, Discord can be sued for using a double standard.  Just saying.
    I thought the topic in question was about a new beta store front and a unified game launcher.
    NyteWytch

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Coming from a time where you had to coupon cut, telephone or travel to different stores to get different products and different prices.

I really don't see the big pain in the ass of having multiple storefronts, it all seems pretty convenient to me.

I don't even have to leave my chair

Some of you guys can be a tough lot ;)
    [Deleted User]SBFordBananableMadFrenchieTacticalZombeh

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Coming from a time where you had to coupon cut, telephone or travel to different stores to get different products and different prices.

I really don't see the big pain in the ass of having multiple storefronts, it all seems pretty convenient to me.

I don't even have to leave my chair

Some of you guys can be a tough lot ;)
    When I look for retail goods I check online first, sometimes with the manufacturer. If they have a good store front I'll buy from them. Or I check Amazon, Walmart, BestBuy, Newegg, etc.

It is kind of annoying to have a ton of small software services that want to run in the background, constantly hitting network services, checking for updates, doing updates, chewing up disk I/O. I only leave a few running 24/7 though - Steam, GoG, Twitch, Discord and Slack, plus a few other utilities.

Do you leave most running or turn them on as necessary?

One issue I've had with some games is poor or unsupported multiplayer across storefronts and services. If I own a game on one service it may not work with players on another. I mean like between GoG to Steam and the like, not between Playstation and Xbox and PC.
    I try to buy direct from the manufacturer whenever possible. I believe they should profit the most from their product.

I hate background services and shut as many down as possible. When I'm done with Steam I shut it down, when I'm done with Discord I shut it down.

I like to manually start my services, I hate it when they start automatically and it really pisses me off when they automatically start and throw advertising in my face.

I really don't like the Amazons of the world because I believe that wealth should be spread around. The death of the Mom and Pops will be a big loss and a detriment to our societies. There prices might be more expensive sometimes but that is usually out of necessity not greed.  IMHO It is something that in the long run, society will pay dearly for.    

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    KiwiHype said:
    You asked who defines what hate speech is, so I am helping you.
    I really don’t need your help. It’s obviously skewed. We have enough of that shit already. 

• jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Well Ninja is Discord partnered so i bet through him they pull crazy stuff
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Like any other digital distribution I dislike them, if I can go to a real store to buy my game I'll go do that over any of them. Steam is a fine example of leeching off of dev, and letting "early access" games get away with being EA over 2++ years of development. If they are over 2 years, the users on steam have the right to charge those fake dev back for 3x the amount. This way will help stop this shady "EA" farming ppl for endless years of never finish game.

As for Discord want to complete with Steam I think is a great thing for gamers and for now. It really depend how well it holds water over steam, since steam haven't done anything new, or improve, or give away anything free, I say go Discord.

A good rule on the internet; I think its always a good idea to stop running any background app/services when your not using them, you may never know what they are really doing to your PC. I haven't seen any company to exist that don't do shady things.

~ A world runs on money have limits, but a world without money have no limits within reasons ~
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Discord and the game overlay have that "randomly" turns on when patches happen pisses me off. How is it even possible to have that thing auto-checkmarked.