Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers: A 'Shared World' ARPG by Max Schaefer & Echtra Games - General Previews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers: A 'Shared World' ARPG by Max Schaefer & Echtra Games - General Previews

Perfect World Entertainment and Echtra Games have great news for ARPG fans: A NEW Torchlight game is in the works! Called Torchlight Frontiers, the game is being developed by Max Shaefer, one of the co-founders of Runic Games, the original developers of the Torchlight series. Torchlight Frontiers is a

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ungood

Comments

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Exciting! I look forward to how it plays out.
    DiscipledOnesomeforumguy
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I'm intrigued... Hopefully it turns out to be good though Perfect World... not my favorite company.
    DiscipledOne[Deleted User]ThupliValdheiminfomatz
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I am happy to see that this great series managed to survive the death of its original studio. 
    MadFrenchieDiscipledOneTintagil
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    What exactly "shared-world" means? Players queuing to kill certain boss for quest when it spawn?

Thank you for your time!

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    edited August 2018

3dom said:

What exactly "shared-world" means? Players queuing to kill certain boss for quest when it spawn?

I think it will work just like Achane Legends mobile. One social hub and shared instances.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    What bother me is Perfect World, they love p2w practices..
    [Deleted User]
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

3dom said:

I guess it just mean lobby based, for example in cities you can see each other, but while adventuring you are pretty much on your own or with a team in an exclusive instance. I think all PWE games are shared world games like Neverwinter, Startrek Online, Champion Online.
    DMKano said:
    MMOish version of Torchlight was always the plan - but Runic put the breaks on that and instead of doing that Hob happened.

Hob was pretty mediocre for me, I'd rather have a worthy Torchlight successor.

I hope PWE doesnt F it up.
    The big concern is multiplayer netcode. Torchlight 2's online multiplayer connectivity was questionable at best, and that will have to change if this is to be a shared world game.
  • StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited August 2018
    Sounds good to me. Honestly, I just want a break from the grim dark aesthetic. After 1500 hours of POE, it's my only real criticism of that game. I tried playing Grim Dawn recently and just cant do it largely because of the aesthetic.

Also, multiplayer with server side characers just enriches ARPG's even if you play solo. Having the option to trade, check the ladder, or see people running around towns without client-side hacks is something I expect from ARPG's now. This game will largely live or die by its cash shop model though. Cosmetics only or meh.
    FrodoFraginsmetarealcatofmany
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Super excited. Love max Schaefer and torchlight, looking forward to this.
    Strycker said:
    Sounds good to me. Honestly, I just want a break from the grim dark aesthetic. After 1500 hours of POE, it's my only real criticism of that game. I tried playing Grim Dawn recently and just cant do it largely because of the aesthetic.

Also, multiplayer with server side characers just enriches ARPG's even if you play solo. Having the option to trade, check the ladder, or see people running around towns without client-side hacks is something I expect from ARPG's now. This game will largely live or die by its cash shop model though. Cosmetics only or meh.
    I sort of agree. The grim dark aesthetic for ARPG's mostly seems to be an excuse for poor graphical and art style quality. Diablo 3 and Victor Vran are actually fairly attractive and show some of the potential of the grim dark aesthetic, but even they have massive room for visual improvement and pretty much all of the other ARPGs are just visually subpar. 
    Hariken
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    this makes me happy
    JeffSpicoli
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I hope Perfect World doesn't have too much control, as they will really ruin this game if they get the opportunity. They didn't mention if it was F2P, that will be the real tell.

Either way I'll try it. I love ARPG's and I really love Torchlight. Hope it's good.
    [Deleted User]Thupliinfomatz
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I hope Perfect World doesn't have too much control, as they will really ruin this game if they get the opportunity. They didn't mention if it was F2P, that will be the real tell.

Either way I'll try it. I love ARPG's and I really love Torchlight. Hope it's good.
    Yea, I would love to have a Torchlight that includes drop-in/drop-out shared world like Destiny.  Bonus points if they include robust group tools.
    metareal

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Most of their MMO games is F2P,ie buy zen convert it to game play money. unless they make torchlight a single player games with multiplayer options and not an mmo like the 2 original torchlight a b2p model perhaps.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Torchlight (I or II) > D3
    Thupli
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Yup , bout time , should of never wasted time and resources on Hob , Terrible decision
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Im a big fan of Torchlight, this is Awesome news!!! Is it to early to talk release date or did i miss it in the article ?
    Scorchien
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Loved the first one. Enjoyed the second, but didn't play it as much. Not sure how excited I'll get about this one though.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

thunderC said:
    Im a big fan of Torchlight, this is Awesome news!!! Is it to early to talk release date or did i miss it in the article ?
    Yea me to ,man , and played the hell out of Torchlight 2 , lvl 100 in the hardest setting with nearly all the Achievements .... One of my most played games on STeam .. really fun journey
    JeffSpicoliHarikensomeforumguyThupli
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    50% hyped , loved torchlight I & II , but i hate PW :(
    Scorchien[Deleted User]HarikenMadFrenchieinfomatz
    yea PW can be scary, But lets wait and see, at times they have surprised

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    This is something to watch for!
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Well this is unexpected and good news! I'll be looking forward to this :)
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    This really needs to also be released on the Switch.
    BillMurphyRPGenie