Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Sale/Event (Searing Plague) is now live:

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    AnOldFart said:
    jahlon said:
    The "event" is utter chaos at the moment :)
    Not unexpected I suppose.  Hopefully, they get it worked out and it settles down in a day or two

I'd love for someone who was not already in one of their Guilds to visit the site (link in OP) and try to figure out what you're supposed to do.  I'd love to hear from someone where this would be their first exposure to the game since that's your typical recruit.

Edit to Add:

Looks like Caspien is getting pissed that people cannot understand how to play his game.  After telling folks they need to go Read.... now he's going to "write up a simplified set of rules"

He seems genuinely surprised that people do not find sitting in a Discord spamming "Send me your Pure tokens" to be much fun.  

This is the same guy who was surprised that people couldn't grasp the concept that $900,000 wasn't going to be enough to launch CoE when they only asked for $900k on their kickstarter.  

I'm fairness he said the 900k would be to make enough of the game to get investors. Can't remember what he called it "seeding" maybe...

Now don't get me wrong that 900k proved not to be enough but still... 
    As I recall the issue was he didn't state this directly on the KSer page, rather people had to be reading their forums or Discord to find out what the real deal was.

I do sort of understand his confusion though, I would have assumed it was common sense the game he proposed (or any MM0 really)  could not be built on 900K, but apparently there are folks who do believe in magic or something.

I find common sense isn't very common these days.  

;)
    pantaroAnOldFartWellspringNildenMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    jahlon said:
    The "event" is utter chaos at the moment :)
    Not unexpected I suppose.  Hopefully, they get it worked out and it settles down in a day or two

I'd love for someone who was not already in one of their Guilds to visit the site (link in OP) and try to figure out what you're supposed to do.  I'd love to hear from someone where this would be their first exposure to the game since that's your typical recruit.

Edit to Add:

Looks like Caspien is getting pissed that people cannot understand how to play his game.  After telling folks they need to go Read.... now he's going to "write up a simplified set of rules"

He seems genuinely surprised that people do not find sitting in a Discord spamming "Send me your Pure tokens" to be much fun.  

This is the same guy who was surprised that people couldn't grasp the concept that $900,000 wasn't going to be enough to launch CoE when they only asked for $900k on their kickstarter.  

I'm fairness he said the 900k would be to make enough of the game to get investors. Can't remember what he called it "seeding" maybe...

Now don't get me wrong that 900k proved not to be enough but still... 
    As I recall the issue was he didn't state this directly on the KSer page, rather people had to be reading their forums or Discord to find out what the real deal was.

I do sort of understand his confusion though, I would have assumed it was common sense the game he proposed (or any MM0 really)  could not be built on 900K, but apparently there are folks who do believe in magic or something.

I find common sense isn't very common these days.  

;)
    Not to mention that he also never landed an investor... thus the never ending sale of in-game perks to raise money.  I mean now they even sell store items that can be redeemed after open launch while before they defended it by calling it Pay 2 Build. I’m not sure what he calls that now.

Have any of you actually tried Links of Elyria yet? Other than Oldfart?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Links of Elyria update 8/7/18:

CaspianToday at 1:00 PM

Reminder: We're getting reports from people that things aren't working for them. When we try them ourselves, everything is working fine. That said, we never ignore the observations and complaints of the community. So, while the code seems to be correct, there is obviously some kind of timing or race condition that is resulting in a negative experience. To track it down isn't as simple as just reading the code, as everything there is clean. So, we're in the process of adding additional logging and telemetry to help us root-cause why some people are having issues using their abilities. When that's deployed, we'll let you know. As we find issues, we'll offset the cost with additional Cure or Purity. But, it doesn't provide any benefit to award those things while people are still reporting issues. So be patient, and once we've got the additional logging in place we'll refund you some of your currency. Thanks!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Wait, all that for a sale event?

Reminder: We're getting reports from people that things aren't working for them. When we try them ourselves, everything is working fine. That said, we never ignore the observations and complaints of the community. So, while the code seems to be correct, there is obviously some kind of timing or race condition that is resulting in a negative experience. To track it down isn't as simple as just reading the code, as everything there is clean. So, we're in the process of adding additional logging and telemetry to help us root-cause why some people are having issues using their abilities. When that's deployed, we'll let you know. As we find issues, we'll offset the cost with additional Cure or Purity. But, it doesn't provide any benefit to award those things while people are still reporting issues. So be patient, and once we've got the additional logging in place we'll refund you some of your currency. Thanks!

Refund "some" of your currency? 

MrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2018
    Wait, all that for a sale event?
    Per Caspien it's not taking any resources from the dev team at all...

All is well.

Much Good.  Very Wow.

Another pearl of wisdom from Caspien:

CaspianToday at 2:02 PM

A creative director's problem is never their ambition. Nor their creativity, inspiration, or anything else related to the games they want to make. A Creative Director fails for precisely 2 reasons - a) Lack of resources to make their vision a reality b) Inability to effectively communicate their vision to others so it can become a reality

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    MadFrenchieKyleran[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Kyleran said:

Refund "some" of your currency? 

I think he means the purity since you "spend" it to advance in this "game" 
    edited August 2018
    Links of Elyria Update 8/8

Well looks like he’s finally admitted (just took a few days) that he has issues with his event:

@here Hail Elyrians! A quick update. Brizanda, Orlando, and myself have been working on synchronization fixes to add stability to the database as well as block any repeated submits that may occur either intentionally or accidentally. In addition, we've added a slew of new logging that will enable us to track down any future issues that may arise with expedience. 

Unfortunately, we are too close to the daily update to deploy with safety, plus, I think some people may still want time to use their abilities before the update. So, we are going to postpone the daily update until the 1pm PDT wave, using the time between then and now to take the website down for a short while to deploy new database changes. We'll let you know when the website is going to go down. The outage should be quick, about 30 minutes.

Note: We are not moving the daily update to 1pm going forward. This is (hopefully) a one-time event to enable us to deploy safely to production while not interfering with the daily update. Thanks. Check the plague bars and look for the next ability reset at 1pm PDT!

Good thing this event isn’t distracting them from developing the game...
    Much Good.  Very Wow.
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Kyleran

edited August 2018
    Further update:

@here As an update, we brought the website down for maintenance a little after 12:30pm today to deploy a new version of the website with updates to the Searing Plague event, and to modify the database, deploying new tables and awarding complementary Cure and Purity. However, immediately after brining the website back online we got pummeled with automated bots trying to generate purity and use their instant abilities. This, combined with the new transaction logic we rolled out to prevent partial transactions and race conditions, immediately brought the website to a crawl, as peoples' pages seemed to become unresponsive while they waited for their button clicks to process. This is obviously not the experience we're looking for. So, in the short term, we're rolling back the transaction system we deployed to allow for faster transactions, in order to complete the deployment and bring the website back online. However, the stability of the system has not improved, and users are HIGHLY discouraged either from spamming buttons if something seems unresponsive, or interacting with the the Searing Plague page simultaneously from multiple browser windows. These behaviors lead directly to the invalidated actions people are seeing and until we fix the synchronization issues, should be avoided.
    --------------------
    Much good. Very wow.

Further update:

@here As an update, we brought the website down for maintenance a little after 12:30pm today to deploy a new version of the website with updates to the Searing Plague event, and to modify the database, deploying new tables and awarding complementary Cure and Purity. However, immediately after brining the website back online we got pummeled with automated bots trying to generate purity and use their instant abilities. This, combined with the new transaction logic we rolled out to prevent partial transactions and race conditions, immediately brought the website to a crawl, as peoples' pages seemed to become unresponsive while they waited for their button clicks to process. This is obviously not the experience we're looking for. So, in the short term, we're rolling back the transaction system we deployed to allow for faster transactions, in order to complete the deployment and bring the website back online. However, the stability of the system has not improved, and users are HIGHLY discouraged either from spamming buttons if something seems unresponsive, or interacting with the the Searing Plague page simultaneously from multiple browser windows. These behaviors lead directly to the invalidated actions people are seeing and until we fix the synchronization issues, should be avoided.
    --------------------
    Much good. Very wow.
    So they basically created a fund raising event that encouraged the participants to bot spam them?

It's like they launched a DDOS attack on their own website.

Very Wow.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

edited August 2018
    Event is suspended:

CaspianToday at 6:06 PM

@here Hail Elyrians! The Searing Plague Event has been suspended until tomorrow morning at
    9am due to technical issues. It's as if no time is elapsing, so you don't need to worry about any accumulation of Plague, etc. At the moment, the Searing Plague page redirects to the home page. Once we bring it back online, it'll again display as expected. We'll see you tomorrow morning at our usual daily update time (9am PDT)!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys supposedly rebuilt all the functionality of SpatialOS while roleplaying a development team.  Sure they did.  This was just a dumb event where people shared links and created points to trade...

Much good.  Very wow.

All is well

MadFrenchie

Event is suspended:

CaspianToday at 6:06 PM

@here Hail Elyrians! The Searing Plague Event has been suspended until tomorrow morning at
    9am due to technical issues. It's as if no time is elapsing, so you don't need to worry about any accumulation of Plague, etc. At the moment, the Searing Plague page redirects to the home page. Once we bring it back online, it'll again display as expected. We'll see you tomorrow morning at our usual daily update time (9am PDT)!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys supposedly rebuilt all the functionality of SpatialOS while roleplaying a development team.  Sure they did.  This was just a dumb event where people shared links and created points to trade...

Much good.  Very wow.

All is well

Forgot to test it first in the ElyriaMud environment or something.

;)
    Nilden

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Kyleran said:
    Further update:

--------------------
    Much good. Very wow.
    So they basically created a fund raising event that encouraged the participants to bot spam them?

Very Wow.
    I really think he just underestimated what level of asshole gamers are.

This should be a great lesson for anyone else looking to get into making an MMO, like: Before you make anything, First Imagine the most Asshole thing you can do during this even.. ok good got that in your head.. now... expect gamers to do something twice as bad.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited August 2018
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Further update:

--------------------
    Much good. Very wow.

Very Wow.

This should be a great lesson for anyone else looking to get into making an MMO, like: Before you make anything, First Imagine the most Asshole thing you can do during this even.. ok good got that in your head.. now... expect gamers to do something twice as bad.

Well they previously showed some naivativaty about the nature of gamers during the early days of the name registration. 

They were surprised at the behavior of some of their higher tier backers and belatedly added coding to solve the issue 

This event further goes to show they might be placing a little too much faith in their assumption the COE community is a bit "better" than most others.

If the game ever launches I'll be surprised if they aren't initially overwhelmed by the "creativity" of some gamers to get ahead by most any means possible,  just what happens in a competitive environment.

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Further update:

--------------------
    Much good. Very wow.

Very Wow.

Well the previously showed some naivativaty about the nature of gamers during the early days of the name registration. 

They were surprised at the behavior of some of their higher tier backers and belatedly added coding to solve the issue 

This event further goes to show they might be placing a little too much faith in their assumption the COE community is a bit "better" than most others.

If the game ever launches I'll be surprised if they aren't initially overwhelmed by the "creativity" of some gamers to get ahead by most any means possible,  just what happens in a competitive environment.
    To be honest.. I really hope this game gets made so Caspian can lose his shit at how brutal players treat each other in game once is launches.. 

he might become desensitized by then.. maybe not.. 
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited August 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Further update:

--------------------
    Much good. Very wow.

Very Wow.

Well they previously showed some naivativaty about the nature of gamers during the early days of the name registration. 

Even some Community Ambassadors are showing signs of cracking:

Curebear

Really? I mean, really? Look you can't blame people for being pessimistic, and most folks who are active are working their asses off. It's not like the folks here aren't engaged but they feel like there is little return on their activity and engagement atm. It's the ones who aren't engaging but still moaning, those are the ones you should be hollering at, not us who are doing our best.

Gonna agree with Curebear.

He really ought to keep a positive note to his close supporters and piss on everyone else.
    Kyleran

Links of Elyria Update 8/9- Further Issues/delays

@here Hail Elyrians! The team here at Soulbound Studios worked late into the night last night, and into the early hours of the morning, investigating why the database connections were dropping, why we were seeing instability in our transactions, and overall - why you were dealing with a sub-par experience. We believe we've identified the problems and Brizanda and I are working this morning to push out fixes that will address the issues. However, they are neither quick nor simple fixes, and so we're going to need a little while longer. Rather than forcing you to check back in regularly, we're just going to reschedule the restart for the 1pm update instead. Thanks again for your patience. Just a few more hours left!
    --------------------------------------

That whole SpatialOS replacement thing?  Piece of cake compared to Links of Elyria!  Much good. Very wow.
    All is well.

Kyleran

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Links of Elyria Update 8/9- Further Issues/delays

@here Hail Elyrians! The team here at Soulbound Studios worked late into the night last night, and into the early hours of the morning, investigating why the database connections were dropping, why we were seeing instability in our transactions, and overall - why you were dealing with a sub-par experience. We believe we've identified the problems and Brizanda and I are working this morning to push out fixes that will address the issues. However, they are neither quick nor simple fixes, and so we're going to need a little while longer. Rather than forcing you to check back in regularly, we're just going to reschedule the restart for the 1pm update instead. Thanks again for your patience. Just a few more hours left!
    --------------------------------------

That whole SpatialOS replacement thing?  Piece of cake compared to Links of Elyria!  Much good. Very wow.
    All is well.

I'm actually a bit surprised that he didn't announce that his team was rebuilding Oracle code from ground up to remedy this problem.  

Or did he?

Slapshot1188

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Further update:

--------------------
    Much good. Very wow.

Very Wow.

Well the previously showed some naivativaty about the nature of gamers during the early days of the name registration. 

To be honest.. I really hope this game gets made so Caspian can lose his shit at how brutal players treat each other in game once is launches.. 

he might become desensitized by then.. maybe not.. 
    Too true.  Why devs still haven't caught on to the fact that gamers will attempt to game the shit outta any system you create baffles me.  It's one of the reasons I'm pessimistic about any crowdfunding project that's treading P2W territory with PvP.

Yea, the dev can wax poetic all day about how their game won't suffer because XYZ, but it rarely pans out that way.  I imagine CoE won't be the only crowdfunding project to fall flat on its face with regards to player behavior prediction.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Much good
    Everything working as it should
    Very wow
    Your money at me you will throw
    All is well
    As if you really couldn't tell

-Caspien the Bard-

Because its true when it rhymes. Best. Game. Ever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

JamesGoblinKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited August 2018
    Further update 8/9-  Still suspended

I know this is going to come as a shock to most of you, but they missed their new, new, new time to resolve the "technical issues" which are not a bug but just not working properly.

No new update other than they still hope for today:

*Cured*Today at 4:49 PM

The plan is not for tomorrow, the plan is still for today. If we had more specific details we'd provide them. We are grateful for your patience 

-----------------------------------------
    Much good.  Very wow.

Further update 8/9-  Still suspended

I know this is going to come as a shock to most of you, but they missed their new, new, new time to resolve the "technical issues" which are not a bug but just not working properly.

No new update other than they still hope for today:

*Cured*Today at 4:49 PM

The plan is not for tomorrow, the plan is still for today. If we had more specific details we'd provide them. We are grateful for your patience 

-----------------------------------------
    Much good.  Very wow.

Thank goodness none of this had any impact on the actual game development.

;)
    JamesGoblin

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    After much wow it's up and running again. Be sure to get in there and get your free Elyrian pack Slap!
    After much wow it's up and running again. Be sure to get in there and get your free Elyrian pack Slap!
    Don’t worry.  Dleatherus’s minions are hard at work grinding to make that happen.  
    JamesGoblin