Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I went with ESO and not another MMO

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    if u like it, why are you here complaining?
    TheScavenger
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Scot said:
    I would put ESO and FFIV on a par. I just can't face WoW as the graphics are so old, not a good reason I know. GW2 I do not rate at all, so much of it stands against the principles of what I think MMOs should be about.
    Yeah, ESO and FFXIV are about equal to me as well. FFXIV has really fun raids, and I always liked Final Fantasy in general. Really awesome MMO, and one of the few that "died", got remade and then succeeded. 
    ScotMaxBaconmmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Personally I just perfer ESO.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Started playing ESO again. Been having a lot of fun...it looks a LOT better with this reshade (to me anyway)

It has a sort of "Dark Souls" vibe to it

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/7349/

Looks awesome

Though next time I play, going to try...

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/243/

Just to see if that works as well for ESO, its 50/50 if reshades work for other games when they are made for another game. I used that reshade for Witcher 3 and it worked amazingly, but tried it in another game and not so much.
    um you lose so much detail with those shaders.  Maybe there's a happy compromise between the two
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Scot said:
    I would put ESO and FFIV on a par. I just can't face WoW as the graphics are so old, not a good reason I know. GW2 I do not rate at all, so much of it stands against the principles of what I think MMOs should be about.
    I'm not sure what the proper term is, but I have issues with "realistic" graphics like Elder Scrolls games.  It's not quite uncanny valley as I'm referring to environments as well.  But I have no issues with stylized graphics like GW2 or even WOW over "realistic" ones.  LOTRO really bugged me visually when it launched, except in hobbit areas.  Stone and wood constructs are especially an issue to me as they just look off.
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited August 2018
    "Why I went with ESO"
    Im more curious where did you went with ESO? To the restaurant?

P.S. But seriously
    "Pretty much the same for GW2 for me"
    Really?
    -Combat is silly
    -Story solo only
    -lvling is slower
    -Crafting is pointless and way too long
    -Tamriel Unlimited update made things even worse
    -Classess/weapons/skills unbalanced
    -Trading system is weird

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Started playing ESO again. Been having a lot of fun...it looks a LOT better with this reshade (to me anyway)

It has a sort of "Dark Souls" vibe to it

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/7349/

Looks awesome

Though next time I play, going to try...

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/243/

Just to see if that works as well for ESO, its 50/50 if reshades work for other games when they are made for another game. I used that reshade for Witcher 3 and it worked amazingly, but tried it in another game and not so much.
    omg thanks! That dark and immersive is perfect for me!!!!!!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The ESO world is pretty but the gameplay is bland imo.... I was expercting more like a Skyrim or Morrowind type adventure.
    sumdumguy1
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I liked ESO better when I didn't have to go through Steam to play it...with the connection issues that happen a lot that you have to 'work around.'

I've had a recent issue with my ESO account only having the Tamriel Unlimited Imperial Edition tied to it, as I did Beta and played before being forced to go through Steam.

Since playing through Steam, I've bought Morrowind, Nightmare Senche, Queen's Bounty, Summer Set Collector's Edition, but my ESO account is still stuck at Imperial Edition.....

Had I bought it all through my ESO account instead of Steam, and my ESO account was at the Summer Set account level, could I log into ESO through my PS4 and have it be at the Summerset level as well, or do I have to rebuy everything regardless?

I contacted customer service and they said it's 'WAI, sorry for the inconvenience bro,' but if I screwed myself into having to buy expacs twice by buying through Steam which they make you do, I think that's shitty.

And they said in-game purchases do carry over from PC to PS4, so if there's a best way to purchase content they should be listed for morons like me to know....

Gut Out!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I would say bad taste, but whatever
    sumdumguy1
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JavisoJaviso Member UncommonPosts: 23
    This is a great post and some good feedback.

I've played ESO since launch along with GW2 and LOTRO. Played WoW since launch for 4 years and recently started playing it again. I knew I needed to eliminate some and focus on a main MMO.

GW2: I just can't stand the puzzles and along with the inventory management issues and the microtransactions issues mentioned above. However, it has the second best fast travel of the four and the visuals are nice along with the daily login rewards. I have all of the expansions and do enjoy the mounts and the living story. Heart of Thorns zones were difficult to navigate. I recently uninstalled.

ESO: Hands down the best fast travel. Can read my mail from anywhere and can port from anywhere to anywhere for a fee or for free from a wayshrine. The recently added daily login rewards are nice as well. Inventory management, no AH and bar swapping are issues for me but I managed for the last few years. Thought about subscribing mainly for the crowns and crafting bag bonuses but didn't. The game is still installed but I barely login.

LOTRO: Been playing since launch and am a founder member that paid $199 to play for free for life. Love the lore and purchased all expansions. The travel system is absolutely awful and they still suffer from performance issues, even on my system with 32GB RAM, Core i7-8700K and a GTX 1080Ti. The game is still installed.

WoW: I played since launch in 2004 for four years but cancelled due to playing LOTRO more regularly in 2008. However, after watching so many videos I recently reinstalled and am having a blast. Going to buy BfA and resub this week as this is the game for me. Even though the travel system isn't my favorite, I am loving my Night Elf Druid. The game has changed so much since I stopped playing in 2008 and I am all caught up in the hype. This will be my main MMO for now. Love the AH and the graphics are just fine. I wish I could get my mail from anywhere but then again I really don't get a lot of it to make it matter. I really struggled with paying $15 a month again but if I was going to do it for ESO, then I can do it for WoW. And in the end, life is short and it really doesn't matter.  However if I am not playing while I am subbed and playing something else, like Stellaris, then I might feel guilty but I'll live.

I've played countless other MMOs including SWL, EQ, EQ2, Shadowbane, SWG, AC2, Linage 2, DDO, Age of Empires Online, Neverwinter, RIFT, EVE Online, ArcheAge, FFIV, SWTOR, Wild Star and Tera but WoW just does it for me currently.

There you have it. WoW FTW.

PC Gamer | OTG | Content Creator | Tolkien Fanatic | Yudansha | Professor | Technologist | Historian | 26.2 | Cat Whisperer

Follow/connect with me:

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Javiso said:

LOTRO: Been playing since launch and am a founder member that paid $199 to play for free for life. Love the lore and purchased all expansions. The travel system is absolutely awful and they still suffer from performance issues, even on my system with 32GB RAM, Core i7-8700K and a GTX 1080Ti. The game is still installed.

I'd feel great about a LOTRO Re-Mastered or a new Middle Earth MMORPG including all the lore, could you imagine?!

There's still some beautiful sites to behold, but the lag issues are horrendous and dealing with the Akamai updater is a pain and so slow DL'ing updates...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    @Javiso, as far as I know, you can port to any way point from anywhere in the world in GW2 as well.

Also, I actually thought GW2 had a pretty good inventory management system; you can deposit mats from anywhere.  Carry stacks of salvage items, and you can break down the trash gear you get and instantly deposit the resulting mats to make room for more loot.  I liked it.
    YashaX

• JavisoJaviso Member UncommonPosts: 23
    @Javiso, as far as I know, you can port to any way point from anywhere in the world in GW2 as well.

Also, I actually thought GW2 had a pretty good inventory management system; you can deposit mats from anywhere.  Carry stacks of salvage items, and you can break down the trash gear you get and instantly deposit the resulting mats to make room for more loot.  I liked it.
    Yes that is true about GW2 and porting.

PC Gamer | OTG | Content Creator | Tolkien Fanatic | Yudansha | Professor | Technologist | Historian | 26.2 | Cat Whisperer

Follow/connect with me:

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gutlard said:
    I liked ESO better when I didn't have to go through Steam to play it...with the connection issues that happen a lot that you have to 'work around.'

I've had a recent issue with my ESO account only having the Tamriel Unlimited Imperial Edition tied to it, as I did Beta and played before being forced to go through Steam.

Since playing through Steam, I've bought Morrowind, Nightmare Senche, Queen's Bounty, Summer Set Collector's Edition, but my ESO account is still stuck at Imperial Edition.....

Had I bought it all through my ESO account instead of Steam, and my ESO account was at the Summer Set account level, could I log into ESO through my PS4 and have it be at the Summerset level as well, or do I have to rebuy everything regardless?

I contacted customer service and they said it's 'WAI, sorry for the inconvenience bro,' but if I screwed myself into having to buy expacs twice by buying through Steam which they make you do, I think that's shitty.

And they said in-game purchases do carry over from PC to PS4, so if there's a best way to purchase content they should be listed for morons like me to know....

Gut Out!

Gut Out!
    It IS confusing and my condolences for playing it through Steam. There have always been extra headaches associated with that and there is still a chronic problem almost on a weekly basis where Steam players have log-in issues and the rest of us don't.

For all practical purposes, nothing carries over from one of their servers to another one. There are a few exceptions with respect to NA & Euro servers on the same HW platform... things like game edition and what access to areas, mounts, etc. that gives you are good for both NA and EU on PC for example but anything from the crown shop you buy doesn't carry over. 

From one HW platform to another, say PC and PS4, NOTHING carries over. They are treated as two completely separate accounts.

It's a messy and confusing system.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ESO is awesome!  I wish the whole ESO world was like Cryodiil.  

Sz  :)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I definitely missed something with ESO...Other than a pretty world I found it blah and boring.... The combat is just not good.
    PhryGobstopper3D
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I also enjoy ESO but for some odd reason everytime I come back I can play for about 2 months then I get bored and have to wait 7-12 months before jumping back in again and then getting bored again after 2 months.
    HorusraazarhalLackingMMO
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Thanks for letting us know, but why should we care?

Different games cater to different people.  News at 11.

And "Look" is very, very low on my priority list when it comes to an MMORPG.  As long as you can dye armor (cause game artists are renown for developing some of the most offensive color schemes/combinations known to man), I don't really tend to care at all :-P
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    maji said:
    I like GW2 in general, but knowing that when logging in I'd have to spend hours sorting my inventory to be able to do anything ensures that I won't even try.

Currently I'm not playing any MMORPG. Sometimes I consider to get back into WoW or ESO, but then I rather stick to other good games at hand.
    thats weird, it takes 2 seconds to sort my whole inventory in GW2, including sending all crafting materials to the collectible storage. Maybe you missed the little button on the top right side of the inventory?

Also, you can craft bags for specific types of items, and bags that automatically fill up with only trash items.

I find that inventory system one of the few easiest to handle.

As for ESO, i like it but i stopped at the end of Orcinium and haven't picked it up again.

I tend to dislike games that limit inventory space (bag slots, bag size, etc.), especially when you have to buy it with RL cash.

I do think the GW2 inventorry management is absolutely horrific, and I would spend inordinate amounts of time sorting my inventory when I played the game.

Sorting and organizing your inventory goes well beyond pressing that button to automatically remove gaps between items.  That's nice, after you've put things in the right order, but otherwise not of great use.

It's definitely not one of the easiest to handle.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I will admit that GW2 has the worst inventory system I have ever seen... but ESO is close behind (and I am an ESO fan).  They have fixed ESO's a little, but it is still 2nd worst ever, next to GW2.

Sz  :)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I agree with you. ESO Is my favorite game and crafting it is just awesome. Worth to craft for guilds :)
    Another great thing is you do not need all the time buy eso gold https://www.sellersandfriends.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/na/gold because there is no full loot pvp so only one you need to do is make a set and play as you want. 
    Wow a gold seller. nice try numbnutz xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Coldren said:
    Personally, for all of ESO's benefits, there are 3 things that made me quit after playing since beta that just come down to personal taste:

1) I got REALLY tired of bar-swapping. I hate that. Let me put skills for both my weapons on one bar - there is a noticeable lag for me (Though some say it doesn't exist, fine, but it does for me) when I try to swap them. For that matter, I don't really like weapon-swapping period. And animation cancelling.

2) Itemization - There is a new OP FOTM gear set every month, mostly in the form of Monster gear, which unless you have these instances on farm, you will get crushed in PvP via pure procs. I've seen way to many fights between good players (Not me, mind you, I'm average at best) come down to sheer random chance.

3) Class balance - You wouldn't think that having only 3 different skill lines would make that big a difference, but.. Damn.. Does it ever. They use the nerf hammer in ESO pretty liberally. 

Granted, this is all opinion at the time of quitting (After Shadows of the Hist), and may have changed. But for me, that's why I left.

The Craft Bag though? That I agree.. Sheer joy.
    I have to agree with all of this. I play once in awhile, but after about a month or so, I leave for the reasons you listed.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Glad some people are enjoying it, but it just wasn't for me. I am a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games, but ESO isn't really an Elder Scrolls game except in a very superficial way, graphically the game is looking dated now, which is perhaps hardly surprising given when the game came out, but for me the biggest let down was the magic system, though the combat system itself isn't that great either, it would probably have been better if the game had not been released as an Elder Scrolls game as that created too many expectations, particularly when it comes to character creation and skills, that are just not possible in ESO that are a 'staple' in Elder Scrolls games as anyone who has really played Oblivion and Skyrim can appreciate as ESO is not representative of those games despite naming conventions etc. Character classes and skills are too limited, as for why they chose to ignore the TES magic combat for ESO, i just do not understand, and the 'staff combat' they replaced the magic system with is just plain daft, so much so that you end up with the crazy scenario where 'mages' are using 2 handed swords, bows etc. instead of magic. sticking a wizard hat on an archer does not make them a mage, in ESO, there just aren't any mages, but then, ESO is not an Elder Scrolls game. Also, Stam Sorcs, are a joke in bad taste imo :/
    YashaX
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I played ESO and actually liked it (outside of that nasty skill lag, and game breaking quest bugs at the time).

I don't go back to it because:
    • It looks like it's too late to even bother returning
    • With all the content and updates, it seems like some core issues that bothered me (skills, Cyrodil balance, combat animations) aren't being addressed
    I honestly liked following the story through.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯