Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth Lore 101 - Putting the Pieces in Order - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth Lore 101 - Putting the Pieces in Order - MMORPG.com

With World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth almost upon us, it's time to take the far-flung pieces of lore that have been presented in videos, comics, books and novellas and try to put them into rough chronological order. Welcome to Battle for Azeroth Lore 101.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Death to the Horde! :P
    Mensur
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    FOR THE HORDE!
    SBFordMrMelGibsonpantaroTintagil

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
                                                       Battle for Azeroth Lore 101 

MadFrenchielaseritMrMelGibsonpantaro
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    So it all makes sense now, fabo! ;)
  • TehmayTehmay Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Can someone give an Inigo Montoya version? (Let me splain. No, there isa no time. Let me summarize.)
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Horse attacked darnassus and burned the world tree. Alliance attacked Louderon/under it horde lost but destroyed it.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    For the Alliance!
    [Deleted User]
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Tehmay said:
    Can someone give an Inigo Montoya version? (Let me splain. No, there isa no time. Let me summarize.)
    Welcome to the boards! For your first post in seven years that went right over my head, but enjoy the site. :)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Nice compendium
    SBFord
    edited August 2018
    Can someone explain the beings at the beginning of the first video? Are they titans, as I remember watching a lore video suggesting the Titans were mostly dead. I think it was based on one of the novels.

EDIT: Apparently it was the Pantheon, but I don't know if that was all of the titans or just a group of them

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Can someone explain the beings at the beginning of the first video? Are they titans, as I remember watching a lore video suggesting the Titans were mostly dead. I think it was based on one of the novels.
    From the WoW Gamepedia:
    As the armies of Azeroth and the Army of the Light launched their united assault on the Burning Legion's capital world of ArgusMagni Bronzebeard, Azeroth's Speaker, discovered that the ruined planet hosted a world-soul within its core. The titan Argus was being tortured and twisted by Sargeras' servants and used to fuel the Legion's infinite army. What remained of the spirits of the Pantheon were somehow brought to Antorus, the Burning Throne, where they were found in the process of being brainwashed by The Coven of Shivarra. It was already too late for the noble Aggramar however whose tortured spirit had been infused into an avatar to serve his dark master. After millenia spent hiding in isolation, Eonar's essence too was recently discovered by the Legion who sent the Legion ship Paraxis to capture her.[3]
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Pantheon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It seems a little deceptive as at the time of the first chronicles book the insinuation seemed to be that they were dead, which bummed me out actually.  I'm not sure if this is a retcon or not though, my guess is that it isn't though.  I doubt they'd publish a book killing the titans for good if that wasn't their plan, so maybe they were being cagey or the people making the videos at the time the book was published were confused.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It seems a little deceptive as at the time of the first chronicles book the insinuation seemed to be that they were dead, which bummed me out actually.  I'm not sure if this is a retcon or not though, my guess is that it isn't though.  I doubt they'd publish a book killing the titans for good if that wasn't their plan, so maybe they were being cagey or the people making the videos at the time the book was published were confused.
    Well, sad to say, they have retconned a lot of stuff throughout Chronicles. It's kind of weird.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited August 2018
    SBFord said:
    Well, sad to say, they have retconned a lot of stuff throughout Chronicles. It's kind of weird.
    Hmm, I wasn't aware of that.  I never read them but maybe someday I will. 

I believe they covered two major plotlines in the books only.  Plotlines that could have supported expansions most likely in the Titans and the Emerald Dream.  Retconning those would be pretty lame as any reader should be able to assume those are canon.

Once Arthas was taken care of, I was most interested in dealing with the Old Gods, the Titans and the Legion.  The Emerald Dream was also a cool side area that an expansion could cover.  The fact that they pretty much skipped all of those things in exchange for Deathwing, Pandas and Time Travel really soured me on WOW.  I felt like they were milking the story to artificially extend the life of the game.