Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Pre-Event Cinematics Reveal the Fate of Undercity - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Pre-Event Cinematics Reveal the Fate of Undercity - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - The final three cinematics for the World of Warcraft pre-expansion event, The War of Thorns, have arrived with today's North American reset. In one, Jaina Proudmoore arrives at the Battle for Lordaeron and, in the other, Sylvanas Windrunner and Anduin Wrynn (and friends) have a short tete a tete. We'll let you watch to see how it all plays out.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Wish it had a reward of a 210 neck, ring, or cloak.
    MadFrenchie
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,980
    The "villains" do camp it up a bit, I am wondering why they don't always enter from stage left and get hissed. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    That was a pretty great, Jaina moment. Very short, and now... back to waiting. Just a really bummer of a pre-event this time.
    DiscipledOnejgDuffay

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Jaina looks...  Sickly.  What did I miss?

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Horusra said:

Yeah a neck reward would've been great Kappa

Horusra said:

Would've appreciated it for my alts for sure. :P but then again, iLevel 210 will likely be just an unknown stepping stone towards whatever iLevel is appropriate at 120 after the 14th.
    MrMelGibson

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Cool. I love those camera angles on Anduin, they are straight from Arthas' cinematic.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Awesome cinematics, but it sucks that we still see the Horde leaders apparently not giving a damn that Sylvanas just blighted her own city and burned Teldrassil. It's like they forgot what they rebelled against Garrosh for.
    Rain_DeathraveninfomatzPhryOctagon7711
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2018

IF, buster, you'd read the Lore 101 article today *tsk tsk* you could have read her comic and watched her Warbringers video that provide context for what she's been up to since ditching the Kirin Tor and Dalaran at the start of Legion.

Seriously, however, she's had a rough go of it since the bombing of Theramore and she spends time there alone with her demons and her past as a peacemaker. She's finally breaking free from that "fragile sweet girl" (even though she's 40+ by lore) portrayal that she's been forced into since forever. She was always regarded as one of the strongest mages on Azeroth, second only to Khadgar, so seeing this display of ability is not totally out of place.
    Scot said:

The "villains" do camp it up a bit, I am wondering why they don't always enter from stage left and get hissed. :)
    True, but this isn't supposed to be the real world or even particularly nuanced. It's supposed to be cartoonish evil vs cartoonish good. I mean, tell me honestly that the Alliance embodied by Manduin Wrynn isn't the perfect representation of the "Lawful Good Overdrive" meme. :D
    MadFrenchieThahar[Deleted User]infomatzScot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited August 2018
    SBFord said:

IF, buster, you'd read the Lore 101 article today *tsk tsk* you could have read her comic and watched her Warbringers video that provide context for what she's been up to since ditching the Kirin Tor and Dalaran at the start of Legion.

Seriously, however, she's had a rough go of it since the bombing of Theramore and she spends time there alone with her demons and her past as a peacemaker. She's finally breaking free from that "fragile sweet girl" (even though she's 40+ by lore) portrayal that she's been forced into since forever. She was always regarded as one of the strongest mages on Azeroth, second only to Khadgar, so seeing this display of ability is not totally out of place.
    Scot said:

True, but this isn't supposed to be the real world or even particularly nuanced. It's supposed to be cartoonish evil vs cartoonish good. I mean, tell me honestly that the Alliance embodied by Manduin Wrynn isn't the perfect representation of the "Lawful Good Overdrive" meme. :D
    Haha I'm at work!  I'll have to watch/read them when I get home.  Thanks for the insight though. ;)
    SBFord

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Say what you want about Blizzard's potential storytelling pitfalls in-game, but they make DAMN GOOD cinematics. Honestly if they ever made their books into movies I would absolutely watch them.
    SBFordRoinAlbatroes

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    They honestly should make their lore into movies. They've already proved they can make amazing looking CGI. The Warcraft Movie didn't fair too well and I don't believe their is any plans for a sequel, but the Resident Evil series has had a good go in the CGI world. Blizz would make a killing doing a CGI movie trilogy or even a CGI Netflix series. Actually I'm quite surprised the Netflix series hasn't happened yet. Netflix is jumping at the chance to throw money at anything judging by how much Netflix Originals are being pumped out.
    Octagon7711
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143

SBFord said:

Scot said:

It is supposed to be somewhat nuanced though or at least consistent, it's not good vs evil, it never has been. They are showing signs of what their characters would actually be doing in this situation certainly, Baine's resistance and anger in this cinematic, Saurfangs hesitance in his - it's all there, they are simply letting it go for the sake of creating conflict.

There is no way Baine is okay with the burning of Teldrassil and blighting their own people, nor Saurfang and I feel as though the only reason they are allowing these characters to go along with Sylvannas is simply to create a villain for the expansion. It goes against everything we know about their characters/personalities and I think they could've done a lot better with this.

That said, awesome Jaina moment and solid cinematics as always. Genn always steals the scene, that VO. Here's to hoping they clean up the writing a little for the actual expansion.

I completely agree about Anduin though, very lawful good, archetypal etc... but at least he's consistent. I'm okay with him only because of his father. Totally loved Varian haha
    PhryOctagon7711
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

That was a pretty great, Jaina moment. Very short, and now... back to waiting. Just a really bummer of a pre-event this time.

So much this! Horrible pre-event compared to Legion.
    SBFordDiscipledOneinfomatzdragonlee66
  • sniperman248sniperman248 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I have a feeling that sylvannas will soon pay for her crimes as warchief, I feel that in the end the horde will rally against sylvannas especially the Tauren, and they will be rallying behind Saurfang, and strike sylvannas down in the battlefield, and when sylv dies I have a strange feeling the very Valkyries that she enslaved will be the ones to exact her punishment after death.
    Phry
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    While ideals of the Alliance was always close to my heart I ended up playing Horde every time. But this... And death of Saurfang. Whatever she is doing Sylvanas must perish. He died once already, now she should be gone.

I hope they'll have some story turn like that.
    DiscipledOne
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2018
    Story-wise so far, I think its alright. Sylvanas can finally do what she's always wanted to since she's the warchief, so from a narrative perspective, she's just being who she's always been.

Jaina's "entrance" honestly makes 0 sense if you haven't seen the warbringers, so blizzard kind of dropped the ball there. They could've easily added a quest like the compass quest about varian and anduin's transition to give some backstory of what Jaina's been up to because as far as anyone in game knows, she just ragequit at the start of legion and then just pops back to "save" the day.

Greymane should've died.

Alleria's appearance kind of made little sense to me when you see who all is missing. I guess cause she's the sister so she has to show up.

Kind of the sad thing is this story is being a bit too predictable and wont get "good" until the following expansion. Its obvious Blizzard is using this expansion to set up characters like Thrall and Malfurion while sowing the seeds for Alleria's inevitable turn. You can see this a mile away. Honestly, the flow would be better if Illidan was still around and some how they focused more on a relationship between Bolvar and Sylvanas, not as the typical undead rising against the "major" factions but setting up something completely separate mainly because the undead dont fit in with either side when you give it a lot of thought. Plus, her turning to Bolvar makes the most sense after her plan with Helya fell through thanks to Greymane. Then again, I dont really know much about (or care much about) the Zandalari and their whole spirit rituals, so maybe that will peak her interest. One thing reigns true with Sylvanas, her priority was never about the horde, it was just about the survival of herself (slightly questioning if she cares about the undead after this event, given what she did).
  • keyboardshinobikeyboardshinobi Member UncommonPosts: 25

Horusra said:

why? So we can throw it away in a week when we get our azerite neck?
    SBFord
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2018

Rukushin said:

They honestly should make their lore into movies. They've already proved they can make amazing looking CGI. The Warcraft Movie didn't fair too well and I don't believe their is any plans for a sequel, but the Resident Evil series has had a good go in the CGI world. Blizz would make a killing doing a CGI movie trilogy or even a CGI Netflix series. Actually I'm quite surprised the Netflix series hasn't happened yet. Netflix is jumping at the chance to throw money at anything judging by how much Netflix Originals are being pumped out.

Fact checking your statement...

World wide they took in over $430 million.  Production cast was $160 million.  Highest grossing video game movie ever... I think they did just fine and you should expect a sequel.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11988990/warcraft-highest-grossing-video-game-movie

Matter of fact, if you took all of @SBFord notes from her 101 class today and used that as a script, it would make the best sequel movie of any of their expansions.

I'm pretty sure Ruku was referring to the title not doing so well in the western market, which is honestly to be expected since no video game based title has dont really that well since like Final Fantasy back in 2000 I believe. The eastern market loves stuff like this though which is why if you look over there, Bleach live action movie is like the number 1 thing they are talking about even though to me it looks like garbage.

Horusra said:

why? So we can throw it away in a week when we get our azerite neck?
    Welcome to the boards! Ok you are on post 5, but first I have seen. :)
    SBFord said:

Scot said:

I agree it is DnD Lawful Good and I would say Chaotic Evil. But not sure it was like that at the start, however it may just be that being in a roleplaying guild we played that down and gave it more nuance.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Me at the start of todays event: Hell yeah!
    Me at the end of the event: Meh...

Always nice to see Jaina though.

And Graymane will die, I've heard somewhere that Blizzard is writing a quest chain about his owner taking him into the woods for "a walk."

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Would be kind of ironic, but what if this signalled the breaking up of the Horde, certainly the Tauren would have a huge problem with Sylvannas' actions, and i doubt they are the only ones, the Orcs probably have more reason to hate Sylvannas now than ever, the potential for the Horde to turn on each other has probably never been so great. :o
    Scot
  • DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Fact checking your statement...

World wide they took in over $430 million.  Production cast was $160 million.  Highest grossing video game movie ever... I think they did just fine and you should expect a sequel.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11988990/warcraft-highest-grossing-video-game-movie

Matter of fact, if you took all of @SBFord notes from her 101 class today and used that as a script, it would make the best sequel movie of any of their expansions.

Nah. It did pretty bad. It only made like $50mil domestically in box office, got horrible reviews/ratings and "most" of the games community didn't like it. Plus, they don't get 100% of the money from ticket sales. In china it's average of 20-40% depending on the movie. Then you have to include money spent on marketing and stuff. It didn't do well by any means. Barely broke even. If it wasn't for the china release the movie would of been a huge failure.
    edited August 2018
    Phry said:
    Would be kind of ironic, but what if this signalled the breaking up of the Horde, certainly the Tauren would have a huge problem with Sylvannas' actions, and i doubt they are the only ones, the Orcs probably have more reason to hate Sylvannas now than ever, the potential for the Horde to turn on each other has probably never been so great. :o
    This is the problem with this sort of plotline, you can use it once or twice but then you get whole races or countries that would not put up with you. And the flipping of personality makes characterisation ridiculous.

Someone needs to tell Blizzard that not every story has to based around "iconic" characters, someone else should have been brought in slowly to the story on the Horde side to be the cause of all this. Then the Taurens could dump them and Sylvannas does not need to be the fall girl for every DLC.