Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Dream Team Replay - Two Hours of Gameplay Action - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMO Dream Team Replay - Two Hours of Gameplay Action - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.com

Last night, the "MMO Dream Team" of streamers led by our own TheHiveLeader took part in a special Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen event. We've got the replay here so you can check out all the action!

Read the full story here

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    What I liked was that such a little thing as not being attentive for a few mobs ended up in a wipe.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jet456Jet456 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Graphics amazing.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Oh god.....

I'm a backer, and I'll try it during beta but wow.....the whole /sit to recover mana thing is just.....archaic and not interesting at all.

If you want to make resource management a thing there are much better ways to do it than literally doing nothing.
    SamhaelMikehaMrMelGibson
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Nice graphics upgrade, but oh god the gameplay is so fucking boring worse than FF14 and worse than the 1st version of AoC
    Mikehaelfdragon21
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    The first 30 minutes look like Dun Morogh if everything began to thaw out.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited August 2018
    This shows the importance of "teamwork" that's a quaint old word we got from MMORPGs were you needed to be in a group every now and then. I know, its multiplayer and they expect you to not just solo to top level, crazy. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    Sovrath[Deleted User][Deleted User]AmatheConstantineMerusSheawanna
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Thumbs up.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Hive! I love you too! <3

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

Oh god.....

I'm a backer, and I'll try it during beta but wow.....the whole /sit to recover mana thing is just.....archaic and not interesting at all.

If you want to make resource management a thing there are much better ways to do it than literally doing nothing.

That's old school/EQ1 style. MMOS today are nearly instant gratification affairs. I'm not sure this slow movement will be appealing. But then again Pantheon isn't really marketing towards the mainstream MMO player.
    SovrathMadFrenchiedragonlee66saker
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Now that was a challenging , paying attention making sure you pick the right attacks and spells. Good job and I will love to play this.
    Sovrathdragonlee66
    Chamber of Chains
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Part of the reason Hive seemed to sit a lot, and some of the others, seemed to be their lack of experience with how to handle the challenge and hey, they have never touched these characters or skills and get thrown in at level 15 to 20 where the player typically has a basic idea of their class already.

Great stream and great exposure of the challenge aspect coming back.

I sure hope they don’t dumb down the game or change to instant gratification in any way.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I think some slowness is good, gives people time to actually talk/chat with each other. You can strategize or plan as needed with some of that downtime.
    SovrathsakerScotmcd6993
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Chaserz said:

Oh god.....

That's old school/EQ1 style. MMOS today are nearly instant gratification affairs. I'm not sure this slow movement will be appealing. But then again Pantheon isn't really marketing towards the mainstream MMO player.

There's a difference between slow and stopped.  The idea of not playing the game at all being a "feature" is hilarious.

I played and loved FFXI back in the day which is why I backed this; but some things have changed because they were bad ideas.  Not everything is a result of demographic change.
    Mikeha
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Chaserz said:

Oh god.....

There's a difference between slow and stopped.  The idea of not playing the game at all being a "feature" is hilarious.

I played and loved FFXI back in the day which is why I backed this; but some things have changed because they were bad ideas.  Not everything is a result of demographic change.
    Yeah but this game is based off Everquest and I think that had sitting as part of the game play. We used to use those moments, in Lineage 2, to be social, talk strategy, etc.

I'm not sure why you backed a game based off Everquest thinking of Final Fantasy XI?

I did like an ability I would use in Lineage 2 that would give me mana by sacrifcing my health. Maybe as the game goes on there will be ways to help with mana management.

Or maybe we'll just have to get to know each other B)
    Thuplimcd6993
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PandauraPandaura Member CommonPosts: 3
    Not sure how this one will turn out, but in EQ1, you could fight continuously IF everyone played very well and the puller (my fav role) knew when and how many mobs to pull. And of course an enchanter in your group. If you have a shit pull and have to use a ton of resources to not wipe, ya you're gonna have to recover. But I'd imagine with a highly skilled group you can get in a groove and have very little actual downtime, or so I hope.
    mcd6993
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Chaserz said:

Oh god.....

I agree. I backed it but have seen enough of these videos to conclude that unless they change that aspect of combat, I don't think I'll be able to play more than a month or two past launch. 
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Samhael said:
    Chaserz said:

Oh god.....

I agree. I backed it but have seen enough of these videos to conclude that unless they change that aspect of combat, I don't think I'll be able to play more than a month or two past launch. 
    Have we received any info from the devs that says we won't have access to mana pots, drinks of some sort, that might speed up the mana regen process while sitting?
    Thupli
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Chaserz said:

Oh god.....

They've said time an again they're trying for the old school community, I applaud them! I've been messing around with WoW lately and wow it is just like a solo game with other people around, and so super-EZ-mode.. There seems to be so very little interaction between people it's just plain sad.

These People I like, they have a vision for something better I hope will come together.
    pantaro
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    This game isn't just based off of EQ. The devs stated that it is drawing influence from EQ, FFXI, and Vanguard as a model for Pantheon's development. This information might not be readily available if the forums are still behind a paywall, so it's understandable if folks don't realize this. Personally, I too backed because I loved FFXI. FFXI was modeled after EQ, after all, or at least the combat was, so it's only natural for Pantheon to draw us old FFXI-ers in. If you've been to the forums, however, it will be extremely obvious that the vast majority of backers are old EQ vets that simply want a modern EQ, and this video displays very well their considerable influence. We even had something like a 30 page thread that spanned months over whether to include an in-game map!

Personally, I think that Vanguard's combat pacing would be a MUCH better fit for a game releasing in 2019 than to emulate an old outdated combat system that, regardless of its effectiveness, was made the way it was due to necessity. I mean, you could only do so much with a 14k modem. Luckily, that is an issue easily fixed with adjustments, so I'm holding off grabbing my pitchfork just yet. Still though, the more time that goes by, the more EQ I see, and the less Vanguard and FFXI I see.

Still gonna play ti though!
    pantaro

Pandaura said:
    Not sure how this one will turn out, but in EQ1, you could fight continuously IF everyone played very well and the puller (my fav role) knew when and how many mobs to pull. And of course an enchanter in your group. If you have a shit pull and have to use a ton of resources to not wipe, ya you're gonna have to recover. But I'd imagine with a highly skilled group you can get in a groove and have very little actual downtime, or so I hope.
    Welcome to the boards! This game does not seem easymode but hard to say how the level of difficulty will pan out. It was obvious that the players did not even fully understand their skill sets at the beginning, so like you I think with practice you could fight continuously.
  • mcd6993mcd6993 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I'm an old EQ guy . I like the way this looks. In EQ there were buffs for mana regen Breeze,Clarity , KEI etc. The downtime was minimal and when you did have some it was usually a nice break for a couple minutes.
    It certainly didn't make the game boring.
    edited August 2018
    mcd6993 said:
    I'm an old EQ guy . I like the way this looks. In EQ there were buffs for mana regen Breeze,Clarity , KEI etc. The downtime was minimal and when you did have some it was usually a nice break for a couple minutes.
    It certainly didn't make the game boring.
    Welcome to the boards! I would prefer downtimes to be spent in a social activity area, but you would have to make that a team penalty/regen of some sort and make travel to the social area easy.
  • tstcjru7tstcjru7 Member CommonPosts: 1
    LOVE it how its kinda old school style gameplay that required teamplay !! remind me a little bit of SAO !! keep it up ! guys I LOVE it and will definitely buy this game !!
  • mmorpg_1000mmorpg_1000 Member CommonPosts: 3
    The videos and game play look awesome, but it seems development is very slow and news and updates about the current status are every now and then. I think fans and backers and investors are getting tired with the lack of progress on this game. Once the backers and investors loose interest the money will dry up and what would have been the best mmorpg will fade away along with the other vaporware.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited October 2018

Chaserz said:

Oh god.....

Even EQ players won't like this. Flowing Thought and mounted meddling have been a thing for 15-17 years, there.

EQ also had mechanics like Clarity, Subversion, Lich, and Modulation Rods.

The excessive sitting to Med actually went away pretty quickly in EQ. FT came with Luclin, for example, and so did the Alternate Advancement System (which I created Mana Regen on the second page, IIRC).

The idea that this game "doesn't appeal to mainstream players," is laughable. The players you're insinuating it appeals to are the same players that made SOE increase the regen cap until I was practically irrelevant, and allow them to med and cast at the same time while mounted (Planes of Power - directly following Luclin), without being dismounted, among other things.

By the time EQ was 5 years old, meddling was only a huge deal to clerics and wizards who spammed the wrong spells.

This will be a huge turnoff to most people, even the EQ players - because many of them have never played EQ when the meddling was as awful as it is in this game.

The players who played early EQ are likely 30+ these days, if not approaching mid-late 30s in most cases (with many being older...much older in many cases).

Ain't nobody got time for that.

This isn't about instant gratification. Game developers should not try to waste and dominate people time. They aren't Facebook.

Let the content facilitate things, not massive gaps of nothingness forced onto players with bad mechanics design. This is a relic that doesn't need to be resurrected. Even the game that gave it to us eroded it away, heavily, within 2-4 years of release... 15'ish years ago.