Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Nixes Steam in Favor of Its Own Launcher - Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBethesda Nixes Steam in Favor of Its Own Launcher - Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

Fallout 76 News - Bethesda has revealed that it will be ditching Steam for the PC launch of Fallout 76 and will bring the keenly anticipated title to its own launcher instead. The news came out through the update FO76 FAQ when it stated "the B.E.T.A. and the game will be available on XBox One, PlayStation 4 and on PC (via Bethesda.net only)". Later, the company confirmed that Steam is not an option.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Mistake
    SeelinnikoiJeffSpicolimklinicAgent_Joseph3domTuor7TokkenSabracCyber_wastelandinfomatzand 3 others.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Cause Steam didn't help save ESO....okay then.
    Seelinnikoi
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Albatroes said:
    Obviously not by much.

Bethesda titles from Morrowind onwards have sold more copies on console over PC, by a big margain.

It may act as a band aid for dying PC titles but Bethesda games could easily survive without the need for Steam.
    Phry

edited August 2018
    Albatroes said:
    ESO is an MMO as we all know and will find its demographic regardless of platform , and to the contrary many folks wont attach MMOs to Steam , there are many loopholes and an accepted result ..

76 is not an MMO , and the only thing they are doing by excluding Steam is less exposure to millions of customers who only will launch thru Steam ..

They have as much chance of duping Fortnites success as all the Wow clone attempts at there ventures ..We are already seeing this happen now ...

Steam would help there sales and the % neglible as they would sell many more copies and more exposure to all the DLC to follow

IMO the type of game 76 is and the Demo they are targetting is ripe on Steam

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    It probably has more to do with the frequent issues ESO has with the steam launcher, problems that the dedicated launcher does not share.
    immodiumSeelinnikoiTokkenSabracScotchUp
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78

Scorchien said:

Mistake

Being mainly a MMO player, I rarely use steam, thinking about it more, Ive only used steam 3 or 4 times over the past 5 years, so I do like that its not a "steam only" game, but I do agree with you that they should utilise more platforms to sell the game.
    Plain and simply, I hate exclusivity, and like it when you have the choice of platform/launcher.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2018
    I think that Fortnite's / Epic's example of a hit game eschewing Steam is giving big house publishers something to think about. Honestly, I have a ton of games on Steam, but only because, for most of them, that is the only place to get them, not because I love the platform. 

I'm OK with games not being on Steam 100%.

That said, I suspect FO76 will be on Steam later, just not at launch.
    Scorchienacidbloodbartoni33AethaerynSovrathConstantineMerusGruntytannim78[Deleted User]infomatzand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited August 2018
    SBFord said:
    I think that Fortnite's / Epic's example of a hit game eschewing Steam is giving big house publishers something to think about. Honestly, I have a ton of games on Steam, but only because, for most, that is the only place to get them, not because I love the platform. 

Yea, i was gonna add that Suzie , if it doesnt change before it will end up there ... They most likely want to avoid the intial sales % that Steam would take ... And i get that , but if i was sitting in that room would advise on Steam at some point ...
  • Whiteshade92Whiteshade92 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Not going to buy it if it's not on Steam or GoG. I'm sick of all this launchers.
    I never buy something from Origin or Uplay I will add Bethesda to list.
    SBFordJeffSpicoli
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Not going to buy it if it's not on Steam or GoG. I'm sick of all this launchers.

Let off some Steam, Bennett!
    Tokkeninfomatz
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I remember the good old days when I would just install a game and then click the icon on my desktop to launch it.

Now we can even have arguments about Launchers...

Progress!
    SBFord[Deleted User]Agent_JosephHarikenConstantineMerusStjerneoddinfomatzTacticalZombeh

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Well thats a No Buy from me. Unless a game is a must have (which at this point FO76 IS NOT) i no longer buy outside of steam.

Battle nets,Orgin, Glyph, Upay, ect ect How many slap dick pay browsers do i need on my desktop. I want all my games in one place .
    [Deleted User]calibekSabracCyber_wasteland
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Ah another member of the "Cutting Off the Nose to Spite the Face Club". :dizzy:

Just kiddin' -- hope it comes to your favorite platform at some point IF the game measures up gameplay-wise. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ottejeotteje Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited August 2018
    I get the impression Bethesda makes sure that this Title does not do too well.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Yeah this will prevent me from purchasing. Once it comes to Steam, I'll see if I can grab it on sale somewhere down the road (if it gets good reviews) :)
    SBFordJeffSpicoliAgent_Joseph
    DMKano said:
    I think this is the right move.

For a huge well known and popular IP - like Fallout - they dont need Steam.

Also remember - Steam takes 30% off the top from all sales.

Steam can be really great for less known IPs and games that need exposure to a huge potential playerbase. 

So IMO - they are making the right move - also they can always launch on Steam later when sales really slow down.
    100% agreed. As you said, they simply don't need the extra promotion that Steam offers and they get the double bonus of keeping all the $$$ from sales. I have no doubt whatsoever that it'll eventually land on Steam.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I have enough launchers on my system now, don't need anymore!  I have plenty of other games to keep me busy, I don't need another one atm.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Don't want another launcher.

Splitting up all these online games onto different platforms just has me worrying about which ones will last and which ones will shut down and permanently take away my purchases... even if it's 20 years from now.

If there was just one.. there's a much higher chance it won't ever get shut down.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Bethesda is paying for all the development and all the marketing. 

30% for electronic distribution sounds pretty steep.

I'm thinking Steam probably needs to reevaluate their percentage or they will soon just be selling Indie titles.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Makes sense for a studio with the kind of games Bethesda has, including their new titles as well. 

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    SBFord said:
    I think that Fortnite's / Epic's example of a hit game eschewing Steam is giving big house publishers something to think about. Honestly, I have a ton of games on Steam, but only because, for most of them, that is the only place to get them, not because I love the platform. 

I agree.  I love(ed) Steam sales and play 90% though Steam but I also have some titles on GOG etc.  I just never want to have a disc again.  that just didn't work out well for me :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Charger17Charger17 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited August 2018
    "... the company confirmed that Steam is not an option."

Sadly now for me, F76 is not an option.
    DMKano said:
    I think this is the right move.

For a huge well known and popular IP - like Fallout - they dont need Steam.

Also remember - Steam takes 30% off the top from all sales. Also if Fallout 76 is planning on having any kind of cash shop sales - steam would take 30% there too and this really adds up over time. 

Steam can be really great for less known IPs and games that need exposure to a huge potential playerbase. 

So IMO - they are making the right move - also they can always launch on Steam later when sales really slow down.

Bottom line - huge well known IP not launching on Steam initially - smart move.

Having a 2nd steam launch later - can boost sales once the game is in a slump - also smart
    so .. everything that has already been said ?

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I'm not going to buy games w/o 80%+ Steam rating. Especially in a decaying franchise which is more focused on US 50-60s nostalgia than actual sci-fi.

Thank you for your time!

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Steam is kind of hitting a down-ward spiral. The interface literally hasn't changed in many years, only RECENTLY the chat GUI has went into an over hull simply because it wants to dip into Discord's market.

On top of that, the store is cluttered with garbage. So much garbage. It's become nearly impossible for a small team to make it on the steam-front.

Down with steam, it's time a new DRM market rises. I'm not saying Origin but literally anything else. Or hell, why even use DRM? GOG is good too.
    SBFordKajidourdenJeffSpicoliCorileannainfomatzTacticalZombeh