Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArtCraft hits $20 million in funding for Crowfall MMO

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
Ambitious new game has reached that total through a mix of crowdfunding and traditional investment

ArtCraft Entertainment's forthcoming MMO Crowfall has raised more than $20 million in funding from a combination of crowdfunding, investors and partners.

The Crowfall Kickstarter campaign finished in March 2015, with more than $1.7 million donated by almost 17,000 backers. When we spoke to ArtCraft later that year, it had raised a total of $10 million through a combination of crowdfunding and traditional investment.

In the time since, that figure has doubled to $20 million in funding, "from backers, investors and partners."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-01-artcraft-hits-USD20-million-in-funding-for-crowfall-mmo
JamesGoblin

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Money does not equal a good game but it sure helps. :)
    pantaro
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Thanks for sharing, tho it's somewhat strange piece of news since Crowfall hit $20M mark sometime around New Year!?
     W...aaagh?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Does anyone have any good insight on how far away they are from beta?
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Shaigh said:
    The real question is, how far are they from alpha? It is planned for "later this summer" and, well, I wouldn't be surprised if...
    Scot
     W...aaagh?
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Shaigh said:
    The real question is, how far are they from alpha? It is planned for "later this summer" and, well, I wouldn't be surprised if...
    We still need to get 5.8 and 5.9 before we hit alpha, and it's possible that there will be more milestones added to that if things get pushed back/delayed. Right now I'd say they are on track for alpha to begin by the end of the year.
    JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    I remember way back when gaming news was about awesome features we could dream about (even if they never materialized) and not how much money a game had raised.

Such naive times they were...
    JamesGoblinScot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    I remember way back when gaming news was about awesome features we could dream about (even if they never materialized) and not how much money a game had raised.

Such naive times they were...
    That's because way back when, games were backed by large publishing companies. Getting the money to build an MMO has become a lot harder since then.

Artcraft publishes at least 2 articles/videos a week that gives info about game's features, so there's plenty of stuff to read/watch if you aren't interested in the financial side of things.
    JamesGoblin
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Thanks for sharing, tho it's somewhat strange piece of news since Crowfall hit $20M mark sometime around New Year!?
    Weird, I thought so too. Alpha late this year probably and Beta hopefully half way through next year. Now I am curious as to when 5.7 will hit the regular servers. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer