Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited August 2018
    LoL @ the desperate but-hurt goon "humour"...
    I remember when goons said that planetary landings wouldn't happen, when the company would close doors, when star marine didn't existed, when servers couldn't hold more than 8 people, and so on and so on...

We're so sorry if Star Citizen development keeps on going and people have fun playing it...
    I bet if you weren't so obsessed in hating a video-game you to could have fun playing it too. 
    Here, take this introduction of simple flying has motivation to start: :D
    Life is filled of beautiful people and opportunities around you, sure, voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling and life is too short for that :)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Babuinix said:

Life is filled of beautiful people and opportunities around you, sure, voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling and life is too short for that :)
    Wouldn't that also work the other way? Seems like no matter what someone's opinion is, you always have to respond. It's like you have to defend the game at all costs. Which we can also say is trolling.  Sometimes I read this stuff and think it's like watching a married couple argue where the woman always has to have the last word. It is kind of entertaining.
    Kyleran
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    edited August 2018
    Now now, is calling out bullshit defending, 
    ..? , slow day hein. :D

postlarval
    Babuinix said:

Thank you for proving my point.
    Kyleran
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    ScotchUp said:
    Babuinix said:

I guess that's settled them  :)
    Kyleran
    Babuinix said:
    ScotchUp said:
    Babuinix said:

I guess that's settled them  :)
    I was always curious if the game is doing so great why after all this time Roberts has never responded to any threads on here. Other games I been associated with always had the top guy posting and explaining his or her decisions. Granted not a lot but at least once every couple of months with any game in development.
    Babuinix
    George Carlin
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>>
    hy after all this time Roberts has never responded to any threads on here
    >>>

Because he reponds to threads on the official game forum. Regularily. He even has his own "blog" - Its called "Letters from the Chairman" (and various video blogs, every week !)

This is not the official game forum.

It is one of dozens of OTHER gaming forums.

I dunno why Chris Roberts is not regularily answering threads on all those dozens of other gaming forums.

Go figure.

Have fun

Kyleran
    edited August 2018
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Because he reponds to threads on the official game forum. Regularily. He even has his own "blog" - Its called "Letters from the Chairman" (and various video blogs, every week !)

I dunno why Chris Roberts is not regularily answering threads on all those dozens of other gaming forums.

Go figure.

Have fun

Yet, that never stopped any other developer to go around to gaming sites and talk about their games. More so if they need to defend it. Starting to think you and babs are more than just regular gamers but a big part of the company and are paid by them. Heck even the great developer of UO has come on here to talk and defend his new game, which I point out isn't doing so well. I have to confess am a backer of his game.

Babuinix
    George Carlin
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    ScotchUp said:

Yet, that never stopped any other developer to go around to gaming sites and talk about their games. **snip**

And it has not stopped Chris Roberts.

You find dozens (hundreds ?) of articles where he talked to journalists from gaming sites and magazines.

You can find it all online.

>>>
    I have to point out am a backer of his game.
    >>>

I am a backer of this game too. Go us !

Have fun

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    Looks like roadmap wasn't updated at all this week.

I'm starting to wonder whether CIG plans to keep updating it at all, or is planning another approach so that they can spin their hype in a different way.
    They said something about the schedule being off for awhile because they didn't take into account having to shift work over to the conventions that are coming up.
    The roadmap hasn't been updated because since that mistaken publish it was wanted to do a proper review to provide more accuracy on the features listed for each milestone.

The priority of the roadmap work shift mentioned is actually the Object Container Streaming, so this piece of tech touches pretty much the entire game, and all these game systems and gameplay features have to be converted and made work with OCS, hence why the huge shift of resources from programming and engineering to it, that would be otherwise be working on gameplay features (hence the forced pushbacks of gameplay).

The Convention itself now syncing with the release of 3.3, will likely feature that update heavily, so not expecting any major demo being worked on unrelated to the update.
    Hey, can you share a link on what this OCS work involves, or brings to the game, sounds interesting. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    Looks like roadmap wasn't updated at all this week.

I'm starting to wonder whether CIG plans to keep updating it at all, or is planning another approach so that they can spin their hype in a different way.
    They said something about the schedule being off for awhile because they didn't take into account having to shift work over to the conventions that are coming up.
    The roadmap hasn't been updated because since that mistaken publish it was wanted to do a proper review to provide more accuracy on the features listed for each milestone.

The priority of the roadmap work shift mentioned is actually the Object Container Streaming, so this piece of tech touches pretty much the entire game, and all these game systems and gameplay features have to be converted and made work with OCS, hence why the huge shift of resources from programming and engineering to it, that would be otherwise be working on gameplay features (hence the forced pushbacks of gameplay).

The Convention itself now syncing with the release of 3.3, will likely feature that update heavily, so not expecting any major demo being worked on unrelated to the update.
    Hey, can you share a link on what this OCS work involves, or brings to the game, sounds interesting. 
    It gives the game engine ability to load and unload things from game without a loading screen.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    @Kyleran this podcast is more in-depth on it: 

In text:

Object Container Streaming

Areas, Levels, Stations, Outposts, Buildings or Ships that get loaded in are treated as an Object Containers.

Areas can be split up into more than one Object Container then streamed in OR out of memory based on what is required.

Seamless Transitions between areas in Star Citizen with no loading times are essential to it’s gameplay. Object Container Streaming is incredibly important to that.

It will allow them to have highly detailed areas and objects without sacrificing performance.

The idea being that it streams in the objects and area that is relevant to you in an optimized fashion.

Containers will have varying LODs too based on distance & any other parameters they might want to set. In fact the Object Container will be used FOR HUGE things like Planets too but also the individual outposts on a planets surface & POI will be their Own Object Containers too.

A hangar in a capital ship could be an object container as could the whole ship.

The Object Containers are more than just optimization for memory & loading in visuals.

Object Containers can have their own unique physics grids too. That can co-exist with or inside one another so think of a Retaliator inside the Bengal Carrier.

AI will navigate Object containers via navigation meshes placed in them.

It’s important that in & between Object Containers the AI are aware of the area outside the container in regards to movement & cover. Squadron 42s Missions & Chapters are Optimized by splitting up the other chapters in the game into logical object containers using this system.

An Object Container can contain many items & various room system “rooms” with varying pressures & contents.

And from CIG_ChadMcKinney:

[To improve performance] by far the most important thing is to get object container streaming working. Object container streaming will allow us to only have a subset of entities on the client and server that are the minimum required for gameplay, which should dramatically reduce update time as well as a fair amount of memory usage. It will also make other game code behavior such as zone queries faster by making these queries operate on a smaller set of potential entities. Unfortunately this is not going into 3.0 as it is a huge epic legendary task that will introduce many complexities into various other systems in the game, but we are actively working on it.

KyleranBabuinix
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Go figure.

Have fun

Pretty sure he doesn't do it because he can't claim an IMDB listing for it.  Forum commentary is not enough puff for the ego.

Snide comment aside, I wouldn't do it either.... ;)

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Pretty sure he doesn't do it because he can't claim an IMDB listing for it.  Forum commentary is not enough puff for the ego.

Snide comment aside, I wouldn't do it either.... ;)
    CR is known to be browsing the SC sub regularly, and the SC sub is where all the salt tends to gather up about X or Y thing, so every time he or anyone at CIG addresses something it's pretty much a reaction to Reddit, but is never directly as a commenting the threads.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Babuinix said:

What other studio went from 6 to 500 dev's in 6 years?
    A lot, most of the time a team of <10 is working on finding the fun, after that with a slightly bigger team is writing the docs and specifications and in the last 2 years expand the team to create models, content etc.
    Games like EQ2 (SOE), FF (Square Enix), GTAV (Rockstar Games) are created this way, there are exceptions like SWG (SOE) were we had Lucasarts behind us who dictated everything. Source (I worked for SOE and Square Enix (we interchanged teams at that time) and have friends at Rockstar)

Babuinix said:

What other studio garnered 200$ million in funding from it's backers?

What other independent studio is developing 2 massive AAAA+ games in one go?

What other game allows such seamless freedom and range of features at the scale, fidelity and scope of what Star Citizen already allows?

In what other game can you fly a fuly modeled ship as big as the reclaimer take it from a space station and land on a planet all while your friends are having fps fights inside it lol?

Being specific that is.   B)
    - none (accomplished by selling every asset and game mechanic)
    - none (what is a AAAA+ anyway why not say AAAAA+ ??)
    - undefined (strawman because there is only one Star Citizen and the scale/gameplay offer is very limited at star citizen)
    - some (latest example Warframe)

The first 3 are rather red flags than something you should boast in game dev.
    If I don't know Star Citizen and would hear those comments my first thought would be: "Oh Musk is trying a MMO and named it 'my first UE project'"
    Kefo

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Babuinix said:

A lot, most of the time a team of <10 is working on finding the fun, after that with a slightly bigger team is writing the docs and specifications and in the last 2 years expand the team to create models, content etc.
    Games like EQ2 (SOE), FF (Square Enix), GTAV (Rockstar Games) are created this way, there are exceptions like SWG (SOE) were we had Lucasarts behind us who dictated everything. Source (I worked for SOE and Square Enix (we interchanged teams at that time) and have friends at Rockstar)

Babuinix said:

What other game allows such seamless freedom and range of features at the scale, fidelity and scope of what Star Citizen already allows?

In what other game can you fly a fuly modeled ship as big as the reclaimer take it from a space station and land on a planet all while your friends are having fps fights inside it lol?

- undefined (strawman because there is only one Star Citizen and the scale/gameplay offer is very limited at star citizen)

If I don't know Star Citizen and would hear those comments my first thought would be: "Oh Musk is trying a MMO and named it 'my first UE project'"
    With that kind of experience under your belt, it's sad that you obviously doesn't understand game development! XD
    Kefo
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

Babuinix said:

You forgot to mention bind-culling!
    edited August 2018
    Babuinix said:

Yeah ofc that as production ramps up the more resources are put into it. I'm talking of actual company growth. The studio was being formed as the game was pitched. You are comparing with company's already big and settled for years that allocate resources they already had into the projects as they saw fit.

Since you worked on SOE would you know Raph Koster? He has a very informative blog with articles about game dev and wrote a very interesting lengthy article about how SWG came to life and it's hardships in development along with the trouble of adding Jedi classes > https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

Babuinix said:

- How are they selling "every asset"? You don't buy guns or clothing for example, or even skins, ship's are sold since the inception of the game, you from all people should know how expensive it is to create assets so detailed and complex as all ship's have their own interiors, animations, damage states and can be as big as a MP level....

- Not really a strawman, you observe the detail going into building the universe and extrapolate from there. You can already visit several locations as detailed as any single player game in a online setting that's pretty good. 

- Warframe ship's don't come close in terms of details, damage model etch. I don't think they even have a landing gear to animate or actual usable doors/ramps/hatches as it's all "magic/cutscenes" besides I doubt you can take them and land on planets seamlessly like in Star Citizen either.

Actually what they are doing is making a AAAA rich and detailed single-player campaign while making a MMORPG at the same time within the same Universe. 2 highly ambitious games at the same time that complement each other. Squadron42 set's the tone, lore and universe of Star Citizen. Squadron42 is meant to be played first and then the player's accomplishments carry over to Star Citizen universe.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    edited August 2018
    Seems like they want to bring weather with Hurston, here's wind in sort's Savanah:

Planet also having more green areas as it shows

I like the biome variety, with its main city landing zone, this first atmospheric planet shows to be shaping up nicely.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Babuinix
    Still no roadmap update. RSI still lists roadmap updates on their weekly community schedule, but they're just ignoring their own schedule.

Vrika said:
    Still no roadmap update. RSI still lists roadmap updates on their weekly community schedule, but they're just ignoring their own schedule.
    The roadmap update is to happen today. Weekly newsletter also haven't been sent so it's likely both at once today.
    edited August 2018
    RSI updated their roadmap on Saturday:

New mission giver: Recca Battaglia
     -They've got total of 2 mission givers incoming, another one is Clovus Darneely

All of Hurston's moons are already on polishing stage: Ariel, Magda, Ita and Aberdeen. Hurston planet is 55% done.

Gameplay changes:
     -Added Item Kiosk Shopping Improvements.
     -Ping & Scanning has been split into two. In patch 3.3 we'll get ping & scanning for ships only, and in patch 3.4 we'll get it for FPS gameplay. Also we're already scheduled to get improvements to Ping & Scanning in 3.6

These are changes compared to that update 3 weeks ago that RSI said was done in error. Its info for upcoming patch 3.3 turned out to be correct, very little changes in three weeks.

Patch 3.4:
     -Female PCs and ArcCorp are on schedule for 3.4

Future Patches:
     -Manual repair and Salvage v1 are scheduled for 3.5. Salvage v1 is ability to collect material from ship hulls
     -Guilds are scheduled for 3.6
     -Ship to ship refuel is scheduled for 3.6
     -Land Claiming is and Server Meshing were dropped out of schedule
    Post edited by Vrika on
    rpmcmurphy

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Is there any esitmate as to how many of these mission givers will be in game?

Itching to see full systems being produced on a weekly/monthly basis once all the tools and pipelines are in place.
    The roadmap update changes:

OCS continues being the biggest focus as the core requirement for Hurston and such to release, only the next updates that had the biggest changes around on the schedule.
    Is there any esitmate as to how many of these mission givers will be in game?
    Estimate no, but seems it's around 1 per main location. The mission givers here seem mixed, Miles and such act as a way for the game to generate missions, the reputation systems we have towards the game (crime stat and so) and towards the mission givers seem to determine the missions we are given and their rewards. Tho it would be interesting more focus on story missions with them at first.