Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whales and freeloader symbiotic relationship conquering gaming?

167891012»

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Yeah I don't really stick to MMORPG long.  I have literally logged in start a quest. Puke a little in my mouth.  Logged out.   

The quest in this genre are so dull to me.  I wish there was a game that focused on doing other things then the progression treadmill.  
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    laxie said:
    Do you think that 'drivethrough gaming' is avoidable by good game design? Or is it just an aspect of the market that everyone has to adapt to?
    Well first off, someone would need to feel that "drive through" gaming was bad in some way, to even want to avoid it.
    You mean other than some players? :lol:
    To be blunt, Yup.

I mean not being rude here, but, from a game Development standpoint, if they are profitable to the game itself, and also bolster their account numbers, why would any Developer care if some small section of the player base does not like them.

Seems like the apex bad move to alienate paying players that make very little to no demands and don't take a lot of system resource.
    laxie
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    laxie said:
    Do you think that 'drivethrough gaming' is avoidable by good game design? Or is it just an aspect of the market that everyone has to adapt to?
    Well first off, someone would need to feel that "drive through" gaming was bad in some way, to even want to avoid it.

Games as a Service (GaaS) is the next way publishers are trying to get money, targeting the drive by gamers. Pay a monthly fee (finally they get some money from drive by gamers!) and you get to drive through as many games in their specific library as you desire!
    Sony had their Access Pass many years ago.
    The "All Access Pass", true. That covered a handful of online games only and was what... $20/month? These new GaaS's have large libraries and include single player games along with the online and multiplayer games. Very similar, but different ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Speaking of freeloaders,  anyone seen @nariusseldon lately, this is his sort of thread.

Maybe I need to say his name 3 times, like the Candyman?
    Poof .. here i am. Now you know how to summon me.

And yes, i am a freeloader .. though i have not been gaming for a while. There are better things to do in life.

What is fun .. is that people are still so hung up on whales & freeriders. I thought it is pretty much an acceptable fact of how gaming works nowadays.

And i said that before .. it is a free world. Don't like gaming anymore .. go watch netflix! It is not like there is a lack of things to entertain us these days. 
    Ungood
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Speaking of freeloaders,  anyone seen @nariusseldon lately, this is his sort of thread.

And yes, i am a freeloader .. though i have not been gaming for a while. There are better things to do in life.

What is fun .. is that people are still so hung up on whales & freeriders. I thought it is pretty much an acceptable fact of how gaming works nowadays.

And i said that before .. it is a free world. Don't like gaming anymore .. go watch netflix! It is not like there is a lack of things to entertain us these days. 

Welcome back, and no whales and freeriders are not an acceptable fact, never were when you were with us and are not now. You not exhausted Netflix yet, I am finding it running a littlie dry now? Anyway you always had better taste in TV than games I will give you that. :)
    Kyleran
    edited August 2018
    Repeat Post

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The casual player is by far the biggest money maker for the genre.....The days of just the hardcore player playing a hardcore game are over.....It's not about challenge in 2018, its about entertainment..Heck that trend started with WoW in 2004.....Many of us move on from game to game jsut to get a taste of them and often move on fairly quick.
    I agree in that I don't look for a challenge in gaming, I look for entertainment in exploration of the game world, following well done quest lines, and finding enjoyable characters to play. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Welcome back, and no whales and freeriders are not an acceptable fact, never were when you were with us and are not now. You not exhausted Netflix yet, I am finding it running a littlie dry now? Anyway you always had better taste in TV than games I will give you that. :)

I mean, I make no bones about the fact that I hold freeloaders in contempt, but, they along with the people that are paying for the game are a part of the current landscape.

But as always, things will change, and I get the feeling they will change pretty soon, as more and more games make it less profitable (IE: Read: Give less Advantage) to spend money on their game, as such the Whales will then realize there is no real reward and thus no incentive to buy into the system, once this happens they will quickly join the freeloaders and play the game for free (or as little as possible) as they have no reason to spend money on it.

Once this happens, game companies will need to find some other more aggressive and invasive means to generate revenue that everyone can cry and complain about.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    AlBQuirky said:

I mean, I make no bones about the fact that I hold freeloaders in contempt, but, they along with the people that are paying for the game are a part of the current landscape.

But as always, things will change, and I get the feeling they will change pretty soon, as more and more games make it less profitable (IE: Read: Give less Advantage) to spend money on their game, as such the Whales will then realize there is no real reward and thus no incentive to buy into the system, once this happens they will quickly join the freeloaders and play the game for free (or as little as possible) as they have no reason to spend money on it.

Once this happens, game companies will need to find some other more aggressive and invasive means to generate revenue that everyone can cry and complain about.
    I see it going quite the other way, Indie MMOs have opened a Pandora's box of new ways to buy an advantage in game.

The only hope I see comes from two areas. The reaction against that, but I note we reacted a lot against cash shops and F2P and look how well that went. However if you raise enough awareness on social media, something like loot boxes can get removed. The other area is the rise of vanilla servers, they are subscription servers and players are flocking to them, which raises the question are players there for "Vanilla" or getting away from the F2P crowd?
    Tuor7
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    skadad said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    laxie said:

Games as a Service (GaaS) is the next way publishers are trying to get money, targeting the drive by gamers. Pay a monthly fee (finally they get some money from drive by gamers!) and you get to drive through as many games in their specific library as you desire!
    Sony had their Access Pass many years ago.
    The "All Access Pass", true. That covered a handful of online games only and was what... $20/month? These new GaaS's have large libraries and include single player games along with the online and multiplayer games. Very similar, but different ;)
    No, the Station Pass was for their mmo library on Steam through SOE and was $14.99.  Playstation Plus for the consoles includes every type of game and, at least when I still cared about my PS3, was $14.99. Of course, Playstation Plus is just an answer to the previously existing Xbox Live from Microsoft. So yeah, games as a service has been around a lot longer than most on these forums consider, just mainly on consoles.
    Holy, ps+ is like 8-9$ now, up from about 5-6$ you either have it very expensive in the US or you do not remember correctly :)  Also, ps+ does not give you access to all their games, but a library, with set rules :) 
    The Sony All Access pass was $19.99/month. It included access to all their online games (MMOs). The single games' access were all $14.99/month, so for $5 more you got access to all 5 or 6 (I think?) games. They mentioned Steam, but I never got it through Steam, just through Sony Online Entertainments website.

As for the console stuff, I have no clue as I'm not much of a console player :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR