Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Sale/Event (Searing Plague) is now live:

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/searing-plague

And the new Sale:

New Store Items!

It just wouldn't do if we didn't offer unique and special store items to commemorate this historic event. See below for a list of all new items added to the store.

All promo items are tradeable and giftable.

Distiller's Starter Kit

A kit containing specialized supplies to get you started brewing your own spirits

Though alcohol dates back to the Second Age, simple fermentation can only do so much. Real spirits are a product of careful distillation of those fermented alcohols into a far more potent and pure drink. Something truly intoxicating! Whether you see your future in whisky, gin, vodka, or other liquors, this kit will get you started. The still is small enough to brew out of a wagon, but does require a Settler Pledge Package or higher.

Purchasing this item will allow you to redeem the following Standard-quality items from a vendor in-game:

• 1 Portable Alcohol Still
  • 10 Sacks of Barley
  • 1 Yeast Culture
  • 1 Recipe: "Howling" Whisky

Vintner's Starter Kit

A kit to get you started on the Vintner's Path (vineyard not included).

It is said (mostly by wine aficionados) that civilization was poured into Mann by the cask. True wine has been produced in Elyria since early in the Third Age. It's difficult to imagine a world without wine. A seemingly simple concoction of grapes and time, there is still ample room for a vintner to make his or her mark by what is (or isn't) added beyond that. This kit will get you started but full wine casks are really heavy so this does require a Settler Pledge Package or higher to guarantee that you have a wagon at the very least.

Purchasing this item will allow you to redeem the following Standard-quality items from a vendor in-game:

• 1 Portable Alcohol Still
  • 1 Wine Cask
  • 10 Bushels of Grapes
  • 1 Wine Yeast
  • 1 Recipe: Port Wine
  • 1 Recipe: Brandy

Trollmouth Salamander

This hideous creature has several uses prized by alchemists, including water purification.

It was quite by accident that the alchemical qualities of the Trollmouth Salamander were discovered, and it's not a tale for polite company. These brutish amphibians are not well-suited to captivity as they stop producing the enzymes for which they are prized the less wild they become. Trappers can always expect to make a sale when one is snared. But the buyer should take care to not store the carnivorous salamander anywhere its elastic tongue can snap up a beloved pet or songbird.

• 1 Trollmouth Salamander (not tame)
  • 1 Small Cage
  • 1 Glass Bottle with Stopper

Physician Set

If you're committed to providing lifesaving care to those in need. These supplies will help!

All manner of remedies and schools of thought exist when it comes to healing: naturopathy, apitherapy, pharmacology and more. A wise healer might choose to hedge one's bets and practice a little bit of everything. After all, it's difficult to ignore a patient in need when even a placebo might bring peace of mind. A wise healer also knows that treatment can be messy work.

• 1 Oilcloth Smock
  • 1 Oilcloth Apron
  • 1 Pair of Leather Gloves
  • 1 Pair of Leather Boots
  • 1 Herb Pouch
  • 1 Mortar and Pestle
  • 1 Recipe: Wound Salve
  • 1 Recipe: Cooling Tincture

As well as the following Artisan-quality items:

• 1 Waterskin of Purified Water

Additionally, owning this item will contribute additional Purity Marks to the community Cure Meter each day during the Searing Plague event.

Virtori Missionary Supplies

Virtori Missionaries treated plague victims with prayer, among other forms of charity.

Chief among these were a ritual to plea to the angels for salvation and the ritual to perform last rites when all else failed.

Vicary beads are a well-known symbol of the Virtori faith and provide the devout a conduit for prayer. These bracelets have 7 beads of organic materials (such as wood, bone, or horn) for the Virtues and 7 metal or stone beads for the Vices, each bearing the symbol of one of these angels.

Fatecasting Medallions are a set of 7 coins that are emblazoned on one side with a symbol of Virtue, and on the other side by its opposing Vice: Chastity-Lust, Temperance-Gluttony, Charity-Greed, Diligence-Sloth, Patience-Wrath, Kindness-Envy, Justice-Injustice.

The Prayer of Salvation uses the shroud, chalice, and vicary beads at bare minimum. Subjects are draped in the shroud, ideally before a Virtori altar. Each vicary bead is touched to a part of the body as a prayer is uttered for the selected bead. Wine is drunk from the chalice to allow their eternal spirit to receive the angels' blessings. Then, to keep only Virtue and drive out the Vices, the subject is flogged.

Last Rites are performed by an attending priest, if possible, and requires the robes, shroud, and fatecasting medallions. The subject is laid in repose, whether dying or recently deceased, and draped in the shroud. The priest casts the fatecasting medallions around the subject, revealing their fate: whichever side lands facing up reveals which entities hold sway over the individual. Prayers and sacraments are selected by these results. In an ideal setting, the sacraments would be burned in a censer over the subject while all in attendance speak the prayers. The attending priest concludes the rites by ringing a bell (or whatever is available) 7 times.

• 1 Vicary Bead Bracelet and pattern
  • 1 Missionary Robe and pattern
  • 1 Ceremonial Shroud
  • 1 Ceremonial Chalice
  • 1 Set of Fatecasting Medallions
  • 1 Book of Virtori Scriptures "The Virtuous Path"

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

JamesGoblin[Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibsonbcbully

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited August 2018
    The "event" is utter chaos at the moment :)
    Not unexpected I suppose.  Hopefully, they get it worked out and it settles down in a day or two

I'd love for someone who was not already in one of their Guilds to visit the site (link in OP) and try to figure out what you're supposed to do.  I'd love to hear from someone where this would be their first exposure to the game since that's your typical recruit.

Edit to Add:

Looks like Caspien is getting pissed that people cannot understand how to play his game.  After telling folks they need to go Read.... now he's going to "write up a simplified set of rules"

He seems genuinely surprised that people do not find sitting in a Discord spamming "Send me your Pure tokens" to be much fun.  

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Are any new people actually enjoying this sale/event?  Every time I peek in I just see pure chaos of link spamming "SEND ME PURE TOKEN PLS".

Interested in hearing from any new people and what their experience actually is.

JamesGoblin[Deleted User]

edited August 2018
    Well...  Caspien just announced (after a day of people complaining that things were broken) that:

"It appears that during the final phases of the development some of the descriptions for the abilities got out of sync with their actual implemented behaviors.
    I'm going to go through this morning and ensure that all the descriptions match the role's actual abilities and effects.
    In the mean time, it may appear that abilities are broken, when in fact they are just not working as described and may have a different effect. Which, I guess would appear broken."

Sigh...

Then, of course, the obligatory chastizing of the customers:

"Finally, working yourselves into a frenzy in this channel over perceived issues doesn't solve anything. Don't lose your stuff because a single Purity mark didn't show up the way you expected. The game is played on Millions of marks, not individual marks. But, as always, we'll do our best to make sure the game is fair, enjoyable, and balanced - soft of. "

Perceived issues... because things do not do what they say they do... it's really too funny.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin[Deleted User]anemoLokeroOctagon7711

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    *chuckles*

Maybe Caspien's goal is to become the cautionary example in future undergraduate-level business courses titled 'Customer Relations'.  He's certainly staking out that claim.

His comments do point out one basic tenant of IT -- documentation is useless prior to implementation.  Which is one reason I'm so leery of the 'just read the website' advice given by developers and fans alike.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2018
    This game sounds hilarious.  (and by "this game", I mean whatever the heck you guys are talking about that people are trying to play, and not "Chronicles of Elyria", which at best is a really vague conception of what might be a game and is not actually a game at the moment)
    Tiamat64 said:
    This game sounds hilarious.  (and by "this game", I mean whatever the heck you guys are talking about that people are trying to play, and not "Chronicles of Elyria", which at best is a really vague conception of what might be a game and is not actually a game at the moment)
    It pretty much consists of sitting in a Discord channel spamming: Please send me a Pure point over and over again along with posting in a specific form saying the same thing.  I am not sure what they thought about this would be attractive to prospective new players...

The best part is that the new players goal is to get 180 of these points and get a free account and many of their actions increase the plague meter.  Most of the existing players want to stop the plague.  So most of their efforts are focused internally at the start and not externally to the new players.  By the time the existing players get themselves leveled up etc... most of the prospective players will have given up on spamming "Please send points" 100 times an hour.  I think at best this will get existing power players some additional alts with free accounts but probably will be a missed opportunity for true community growth.

We shall see.   Looks like they brought in about $30k in the first 2 days of the event.

JamesGoblin

For those wondering.  This is what the chat looks like for the last 2 days: 

JamesGoblin[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

I dont think this game will ever release.
    They are still fixing bugs.. in their event/sale... since Friday.  So much didn't work as it was supposed to.

Definitely bodes well for the most complicated MMORPG ever proposed.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I have a pledge, I use one purity token got bored and haven't been back on... 
    edited August 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    Yeah, it's really bad.  On a lark I joined one of the "groups" in Dleatherus's Kingdom.   The top of the "purification list" appear to be all alts and people already involved in the Kingdom.  

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Let's focus our resources on making money instead of building the game we promised to deliver.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    AnOldFart said:
    Yeah, it's really bad.  On a lark I joined one of the "groups" in Dleatherus's Kingdom.   The top of the "purification list" appear to be all alts and people already involved in the Kingdom.  
    Ffs give it to new players let's get more people that might then buy a few cosmetics/shop items...

Oh and I just visited the events discord... I posted my link once (because I'm not going to spam.)
    5 mins later and I can't actually find it...

I can find 5 by one particular person but mine... 
    5 mins?  It must be a slow day.  I counted 32 links a minute at one point.

Guess Caspien hasn’t delivered VoxElyria, Kingdoms of Elyria or Chronicles of Eleria but he HAS given us Links of Elyria!  
    [Deleted User]AnOldFartWellspring[Deleted User]JamesGoblin

I can clearly state that after 10 mins looking into this and looking at my purity and plague counters hitting 0 and my token count staying 0.
    I have no f***ing idea what I am supposed to do lol
    JamesGoblinMrMelGibson
    AnOldFart said:
    I can clearly state that after 10 mins looking into this and looking at my purity and plague counters hitting 0 and my token count staying 0.
    Don't worry I am sure that Caspien will enlighten us at the end and explain how it was a resounding success that added so many people to the community. I'm sure all the feedback the Ivory Tower has given him has been along the lines of "You are the greatest!  Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to make this for us", while using their drones to grind alt account #17.

And if you think Links of Elyria was bad... just wait for the real game.

AnOldFart said:
    Don't worry I am sure that Caspien will enlighten us at the end and explain how it was a resounding success that added so many people to the community. I'm sure all the feedback the Ivory Tower has given him has been along the lines of "You are the greatest!  Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to make this for us", while using their drones to grind alt account #17.

And if you think Links of Elyria was bad... just wait for the real game.

Well let's be honest the game is no longer what was touted just before and at the start of kick-starter... 

I was "sold" one project and turns out I backed a totally different idea... 
    edited August 2018
    Caspien indicates that 90% of his existing players are not participating in the event or at least not how he wants them to (and remember... in his world the "pure" are those who bought packages):

!(DE/EU) PrinzKarnevalToday at 2:37 PM

more pure as plagues? WOW. i guess the most of the "pure guys" want give the purity seals to their own mates who are plagued.. they all want the free elyrian package. maybe is this the problem @Caspian

CaspianToday at 2:37 PM

No.
    The problem is that 90% of the pure aren't generating purity... at all.
    Those that are, are doing a fantastic job holding off the plague.

Current status of Links of Elyria:

JamesGoblin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    All that stuff is what you should be earning in game via living the life of a character inside that world.They should never be handed out or sold from outside the game.
    The game and it's world MUST withhold it's integrity otherwise why bother making a game,why bother playing it,just sell whatever the player is after,a level 500 ,go ahead and sell it,total fame,sell it,just sell everything,completely ruin your game.
    Oh well nothing new here,we already know what this developer turned into when money became a problem.
    I will give my take on how it should be done.

spend a LOT of time deciding how much money it would take to get a quality working game  out for the players.Sell subscriptions at a bargain price,idk maybe first 3 months at 20 bucks,sell a million you have 20 million to build your initial game.If the gamer's don't trust your game or don't like the idea then CHANGE it or fold up shop and maybe figure on a new game design.
    This bargain price does not ruin the integrity of the game,buys you in and does not piss anyone else off.

Bottom line is if you cannot build a game on TRUST,then guess what,your game is not good enough in the eyes of the gamer's.What we have been seeing instead from this game and other devs is they simply target their whales and grind as much out of them as they can.The latter ruins integrity,trust and does NOT offer a good long term solution.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Oh look, Week end is Over and Slapshot is back to crying about CoE again. Must be his full time job.

Quite frankly, I can't think of a point to this topic other then to put CoE back on top of the Forums.
    StaalBurgher
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited August 2018
    Ungood said:
    Oh look, Week end is Over and Slapshot is back to crying about CoE again. Must be his full time job.

Quite frankly, I can't think of a point to this topic other then to put CoE back on top of the Forums.
    If you weren't stuck in your rant thread all weekend you would have noticed that I posted the thread on Friday... when the sale/event started.  With updates Sat, and Sun and today.

I'll probably update it along the way as the 6 week event continues.  So at least you have that to look forward too!

#Links_of_Elyria
    MadFrenchieKyleranMrMelGibson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2018
    Did Caspien really post bitching about his backers not behaving the way he wants in his game?

Wait, does this title include PvP?  Hmm, PvP + a dev who thinks they can dictate how players will/should play their game...  Where have I seen that before?  I can't put my finger on it, but I know it had a pretty terrible ending!
    Octagon7711

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:

If you weren't stuck in your rant thread all weekend you would have noticed that I posted the thread on Friday... when the sale/event started.  With updates Sat, and Sun and today.

I'll probably update it along the way as the 6 week event continues.  So at least you have that to look forward too!

#Links_of_Elyria
    WTH are your talking about Rant Thread?

Oh.. you're talking about the Invite to a Public Debate that you chickened out of.
    MadFrenchie
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Actual question from player today:

A hopeless Potion SellerToday at 10:18 PM

If I bought 400 physcian sets would I generate 2400 purity every 24 hours?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are actually asking a question about spending 400 x $30 ($12,000) to "win" the event.

Amazing

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Not unexpected I suppose.  Hopefully, they get it worked out and it settles down in a day or two

I'd love for someone who was not already in one of their Guilds to visit the site (link in OP) and try to figure out what you're supposed to do.  I'd love to hear from someone where this would be their first exposure to the game since that's your typical recruit.

Edit to Add:

Looks like Caspien is getting pissed that people cannot understand how to play his game.  After telling folks they need to go Read.... now he's going to "write up a simplified set of rules"

He seems genuinely surprised that people do not find sitting in a Discord spamming "Send me your Pure tokens" to be much fun.  

This is the same guy who was surprised that people couldn't grasp the concept that $900,000 wasn't going to be enough to launch CoE when they only asked for $900k on their kickstarter.  

jahlon said:

Edit to Add:

This is the same guy who was surprised that people couldn't grasp the concept that $900,000 wasn't going to be enough to launch CoE when they only asked for $900k on their kickstarter.  

I'm fairness he said the 900k would be to make enough of the game to get investors. Can't remember what he called it "seeding" maybe...

Now don't get me wrong that 900k proved not to be enough but still...