Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does 5 - 10 mean.

UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
Trust me, I know this is an odd title. What led to this discussion makes even less sense, trust me, but, sadly things are what they are, so, this discussion now exists.

Anyway, none the less, this is a Discussion regarding what does 5 - 10. Well, anyone that had learned basic numbers or any kind of math, knows it stands for a Variable Amount Between 5 and 10.

Now, we all know that the requirement of falling within this variable is simply to be greater then 5 and less then 10. Seems simple enough. 

Just like when we deal with demographics and we sport people into age groups, like the people that are ages 25 to 35. The only requirement to fit this variable is to be between those two numbers, as it's obvious that someone is not going to be 25 one day and 35 the next.

But what about if someone says, "I am among the gamers that play between 5 and 10 various games a month". Well, that just means that they play some variable amount between 5 games and 10 games. This in no way requires that they play 5 games or 10 games, only that they are within the parameters (yes I know big word) of 5 and 10. 

In fact, they might never play 10 different games and still fall within the variable.

Why is this?

Well like all variable there is no requirement to meet the extremes of either end of the variable to be classified as falling within that variable. IE: Someone might never play more then 6 games, and still be among the gamers that play between 5 - 10 variable.

Pretty obvious that 6 is between 5 - 10.

Yes I know, this is grade school stuff, just bear with me.

So. The only way to NOT fall within that variable is how? That's right, play less than 5 games or more than 10.  We know this, we know that there is requirement to play 5 games or 10 games, just like to fall within an age variable does not require someone to span the whole age gap.

Even if someone said: "I play between 5 - 10 games a month" this in no way means they need to play 10 games on any given month, or 5 games on any given month, only that they do not play more than 10, or less than 5. They could play 6 games every single month of their life and still be 100% correct in their assessment of how many games they have played, as they never went below 5 or over 10.

That is how Variables Work.

Now, can this be used to be deceptive. Well yes, as anyone could say something like "I play between 0 - 175 games a month" sure anyone could say that and I would wager that they would be correct, as to meet that criteria they simply need to play 0 or more games a month and less than 175, but of course that is not very informative, but it would be technically accurate, as they would never be under any obligation to play up to 175 games in any given month to still meet that variable. 

Yes we know this all already.. and I am sure you are all wondering why I am saying such elementary stuff, well.. 

To answer that question. I'll leave the floor to @Slapshot1188 to explain his counter point to this.

You're up old friend.

Floor is yours.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

MadFrenchieSlapshot1188

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Image result for butthurt soccer gif
    UngoodSlapshot1188Kyleran

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited August 2018
    Hey.. @MadFrenchie ; I see you missed the memo that @Slapshot1188 invited this discussion.

Image result for butthurt soccer gif

photo tumblr_lqbeijWK731qkvxfuo1_250.gif
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited August 2018
    And in case you missed it, this is the invite by Slap himself.

I figure, since his goal was to embarrass me, we can make it public.

Post edited by Ungood on

Anyway, the trolls aside.. I look forward to this discussion.

I also have full permission to use that image of that post.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    What a childish thing. The FIRST post by @Slapshot1188, said, "10 MMOs a month. LOL"  So Mr. Gradeschool, does the number 10 fall between 5 and 10? Why'd you get bent all out of shape over this?

Sheez. He asks for a PM and gets a new thread...
    Slapshot1188

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Ungood said:

Now, we all know that the requirement of falling within this variable is simply to be greater then 5 and less then 10. Seems simple enough. 

Do we?

Within the context of games played per month I would have assumed the range of 5-10 was inclusive rather than exclusive.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited August 2018
    This is almost too funny.  It could be the best thing I have ever seen on these forums... and I have seen a lot!   :D

The context for those laughing their asses off:  This started with a claim by a poster that:  "I play anywhere from 5-10 MMOs a month"

To which our OP seems to think does not include 10.  Hint- It's not a math problem.  As I stated it's a language one :)

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

AlBQuirky said:
    What a childish thing. The FIRST post by @Slapshot1188, said, "10 MMOs a month. LOL"  So Mr. Gradeschool, does the number 10 fall between 5 and 10? Why'd you get bent all out of shape over this?

Because, in case you missed this, which is obvious that you did, @Slapshot1188 said directly that this requires that someone plays 10 games in a month. 

Now, if you would like to stand in and defend his honor, you are more then welcome to do so.

edited August 2018
    This is almost too funny.  It could be the best thing I have ever seen on these forums... and I have seen a lot!   :D

The context for those laughing their asses off:  This started with a claim by a poster that:  "I play anywhere from 5-10 MMOs a month"

To which our OP seems to think does not include 10.  Hint- It's not a math problem.  As I stated it's a language one :)

Now, let me hold your hand here, you said it requires 10 MMO's.. directly.

Your own words "That means some months you play 5 and some months you play 10".

Well, Here you go old chum.. here is your chance to school this to me.

Come on.. you invited this.

edited August 2018
    Ungood said:

Do we?

Within the context of games played per month I would have assumed the range of 5-10 was inclusive rather than exclusive.
    But, the point here, in case you didn't read Slapshots posts was that it was REQUIRED to meet the extremes, that to say "I play between 5 - 10 games" that one MUST at some point play 10 games a month, as opposed not simply playing a number of games that fall between them.

You are welcome to defend this stand if you want.

More the merrier, hence the whole point of Forums and Open Discussion.

edited August 2018
    Ungood said:

Now, let me hold your hand here, you said it requires 10 MMO's.. directly.

IE: That means some months you play 5 and some months you play 10. Which, if you plan to prove this, feel free to do so.

Otherwise. Meh, like every time before and after, you are just wrong.
    This just gets better and better.  Please nobody make him stop.  This is absolutely incredible. 

I have never seen self-destruction like this since Brittney shaved her head. Or Charlie was winning with Tigers Blood.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Are you backing down and not willing to School me on this? Would have thought you would jump at the chance to prove your point.

So step up old Chum.

Educate me.

Yer not quitting on me.. are you @Slapshot1188

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited August 2018
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Do we?

But, the point here, in case you didn't read Slapshots posts was that it was REQUIRED to meet the extremes, that to say "I play between 5 - 10 games" that one MUST at some point play 10 games a month, as opposed not simply playing a number of games that fall between them.

You are welcome to defend this stand if you want.

More the merrier, hence the whole point of Forums and Open Discussion.
    I was simply responding to your contention that 5 - 10 clearly meant falling in the range between those numbers when there is some room for interpretation, albeit narrow, as the range isn't declared as to exclusivity.

Either way, there is no requirement that each number in the applicable range must occur at some point, but rather that all occurrences will fall within the applicable range.

Accordingly, Slapshot's highlighted assertion isn't accurate, as it contends that at some point the outer extremities of the range must occur when that is not the case.

Regardless, it seems a rather petty issue to dwell on to this degree.
    Ungood
    No.. let him go on please

He invited a PM, you made a thread trying to call him out.  The butthurt is strong with this one.
    AlBQuirky

edited August 2018
    He invited a PM, you made a thread trying to call him out.  The butthurt is strong with this one.
    https://youtu.be/0wG_h3U568w

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Because, in case you missed this, which is obvious that you did, @Slapshot1188 said directly that this requires that someone plays 10 games in a month. 

Now, if you would like to stand in and defend his honor, you are more then welcome to do so.
    Really, it's not woreth my time. You are determined you are right and nothing no one says, points to, or quotes will change your tiny "I'M RIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!"mind. I've talked to walls with better grasps of things...

Carry on. I'm outta here
    Slapshot1188

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

No.

I was given full permission to cite him and he even asked me to post it repeatedly. 

Do you have anything regarding the subject matter to add to this, or will you content yourself to your under bridge dwelling existence? 

https://youtu.be/0wG_h3U568w

Your best Defenders are crying that you asked for a PM. If you really wanted it private you should have sent me a PM to start.

Yup.. someone is Butthurt.

Slapshot1188

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    What we have here,  is a failure...

to not communicate.

Who the fuck cares?
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188AlBQuirky
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Ungood said:
    No.

I was given full permission to cite him and he even asked me to post it repeatedly. 

Do you have anything regarding the subject matter to add to this, or will you content yourself to your under bridge dwelling existence? 
    There's nothing to add to this subject because the entire topic is just you being a petty, arrogant asshat.

You know why Slap told you to post it repeatedly?  Because he knew your doing that would just make you look like you can't handle it.  Like this largely inconsequential argument has ruined your entire weekend.  Like it has you butthurt.  And you jumped right in headfirst.

I'd bet good money Slap's only reaction when he saw this thread could be best summed up in 4 letters: lmao.

Slapshot1188

I'd bet good money Slap's only reaction when he saw this thread could be best summed up in 4 letters: lmao.

I’ve got this thread bookmarked for anytime I need a good pick me up!  It could be years before anything this good happens again.  Pure gold.
    MadFrenchie

Ungood said:
    No.

There's nothing to add to this subject because the entire topic is just you being a petty, arrogant asshat.

You know why Slap told you to post it repeatedly?  Because he knew your doing that would just make you look like you can't handle it.  Like this largely inconsequential argument has ruined your entire weekend.  Like it has you butthurt.  And you jumped right in headfirst.

Here you are, Saturday night, still worried about this fucking topic.  GG.
    Slapshot1188AlBQuirkyGorwe