Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen 2700x build

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited August 2018
    Cleffy said:
    AMD cards tend to run hot. You can try AMD Chill to keep the temps down when its not necessary.
    It shouldn't run hot at idle.  My Fury X is running at 32 C right now at idle, and my thermostat says that it is 25 C in another room that is probably cooler than where my computer is.  The ambient temperature inside the case is probably warmer than the room, even, so the GPU isn't much warmer than the ambient temperature.  And that's while running three monitors at 144 Hz, which is a pretty harsh workload for idle at the desktop.

Radeon Chill has nothing to do with idle temperatures.  GPUs have been able to clock down at idle for many years now.  Radeon Chill is much more recent, and will cap your rendering rate at the refresh rate of your monitor, thus allowing the GPU to clock down to save power while playing undemanding games.  When I played Elsword, the GPU would stay under 400 MHz most of the time.

Albers, try opening WattMan in your Radeon settings.  That will give you a graph of temperatures, clock rates, and GPU activity changing over time, among other things.  It's possible that the software you're using is simply wrong.  Among other things, it says the GPU fans aren't spinning; you might want to check on that visually.  If AsRock decided to turn off the fans at idle like power supplies commonly do, that would lead to the card running "hot" at idle, but 50 C is really nothing to worry about if that's the explanation.  I haven't heard of a GPU doing that, however.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Quizzical said:

If AsRock decided to turn off the fans at idle like power supplies commonly do, that would lead to the card running "hot" at idle, but 50 C is really nothing to worry about if that's the explanation.  I haven't heard of a GPU doing that, however.
    Many GPUs turn off their fans while idle, and OP's screenshot shows the fan speed at 0 RPM.

If the fans were constantly running and the GPU temp would still be 50 C at idle, then that would be a problem, but I see shutting fans down and letting the GPU stay silent until it reaches 50 C as a feature.
    [Deleted User]

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263
    So guys you think its not a problem that its idling at 50? I went to wattman and set the max temperature at 80, now under load it doesnt exceed 80. Still feels pretty warm idling :/
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited August 2018
    Some cards go passive at idle. Temps creep up a bit (50C isn’t unusual) because it’s shutting the fan off entirely.

So long as it’s also cool enough under load it isn’t an issue. You can adjust the fan curve to be more aggressive at low load/idle if it bothers you.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]
  • MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited August 2018
    I decided to get Sapphire Nitro+ RX580. Ashrock card was just bigging me with its temps. I already have sapphire and i can say that there is difference in temps. idling 35-40 load doesnt exceed 75. I like that, but it does require additional power connector, and it is bulky. Fans spin more quiet too. So far im satisfied with sapphire, sending ashrock back.

Gdemami
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    As had been said it it idled at 50c because the card goes silent at idle. And 90c is nothing to worry about on a graphics card.

Sapphire is my preferred AMD partner hough
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Personally, I always worry about heat, especially in a graphics card.  The scuttlebutt is that one of the reasons for the delay of the new Nvidia cards has been caused by heat issues.  Intel I9's are causing heat issues, especially in laptops.  Heat is something you really have to watch because it will shorten your electronics lifespan.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    There's a big difference between worrying that your GPU is running at 90 C and worrying that it is running at 50 C.
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]