Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marc Merrill's At It Again: 'Going Head-to-Head with WoW May Not be the Best Move, But Who Knows?' -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMarc Merrill's At It Again: 'Going Head-to-Head with WoW May Not be the Best Move, But Who Knows?' - League of Legends - MMORPG.com

League of Legends News - Riot Games' Marc Merrill is at it again after setting the MMO-space afire last week with speculation that the company might be making an MMO. After having that dream bubble popped, the community settled for a few days before Variety took another run at him, this time asking him point-blank if Riot is making an MMO. Let's just say that Merrill was vague, but with enough obfuscation to make it seem that they might, perhaps, maybe, possibly be creating an MMO.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    going head-to-head with wow is quite alright at this point, just no one that has really done a good job at it yet. much thanks to cash shops and wasted potentials :D
    BillMurphyMrMelGibson[Deleted User]ThuplijimmywolfJeroKaneinfomatzceh430laseritSabracand 1 other.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    what a dumbass
    [Deleted User]Truvidien88VexiusxJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]Steelhelm
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    That guy from League of Playfulness is at it again.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User][Deleted User]JeroKaneinfomatzceh430MadFrenchieJeffSpicoliSabrac
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Hey, if one company has enough of a following and enough money to do it and freedom to do it, it would be Riot.

I think hes just saying anything he can to stir the pot, but who knows what they are actually doing.
    Thupli
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I bet their MMO talks will happen more often after Q3 when LoL will lose even more users to Fortnite.

Thank you for your time!

• Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Isn't that where Greg Street/Ghostcrawler landed?
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User][Deleted User]Thupli
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Yep!
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]Rockinw311Thupli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'm always excited to hear about new mmos in the making. Hopefully they can deliver. 
    Truvidien88Thupli
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Hey, if one company has enough of a following and enough money to do it and freedom to do it, it would be Riot.

I think hes just saying anything he can to stir the pot, but who knows what they are actually doing.

People said the same thing about SWTOR. Look, RIOT can certainly make an MMO that is viable and does well in 2018, but no one is ever going to beat WoW. It is foolish of them to imply that they would even be going against it.
    Vexiusx
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    This sort of hype is more annoying than exciting. Just man up and say that you're working on a potential MMO or not. Failing that, get one of your friends to tell one of my friends if you're doing this.
    Sabrac
  • SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Seems pretty obvious that they are working on/ speculating about some sort of Multiplayer game that would have a lot of MMO like features.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    And if he is in any way involved in a MMO project that's as sure a sign as you'll get that it's going to suck ass.  He molested WoW wholesale; poor game hasn't been the same since.

Didn't he actually end up getting fired from Blizzard for something?

On-topic:
    I think the fact that he mentioned an MMO at all is because they've already been working on one for a while and are now trying to drum up some hype for it.  That's my assumption. 
    You wouldn't just randomly ask that publically in social media, knowing how long it takes to develop an MMO, unless you already had something going.
    If you just wanted to gauge interest, you wouldn't do it on something like Twitter.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I'd love to see a new MMO on the market. I let my WoW sub expire last week and am struggling to find something else I can immerse myself in. So yeah, bring on more choices imo.
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 400
    Make a good game with alot of content and im pretty sure you can go head by head with wow
    kotu107Celcius
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited August 2018
    Hmmm, they only have one noticeable game developed which is a Warcraft 3 Mod clone... which copied Blizzard's signature style as much as they could without getting sued. They absolutely 'have' to have had people sat in a room making sure they were just bordering the line of infringement.

Not hopeful they could provide something that we'll want to play instead of WoW. Something about living in Blizzard's shadow doesn't inspire much confidence. I always thought LoL just got million dollar lucky by being at the right place at the right time.

You know what I mean?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I have no idea how the LoLs and the Fortnite's do so well....To me they have toxic communities and shallow gameplay.
    HoldslowhopeThuplidragonlee66infomatzBig.Daddy.Samedi
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Samhael said:

This sort of hype is more annoying than exciting. Just man up and say that you're working on a potential MMO or not. Failing that, get one of your friends to tell one of my friends if you're doing this.

They are a game company. They are probably "looking" at any number of future game options all the time. Including mmos type games. And I think that is what his answer suggests.

If he says "no" and it comes out that they have been "looking" - even if all they did was spend half a day assessing the possibility - then people will want to know what they are trying to hide.

If he says yes then that will open the floodgates to all sorts of questions. Which they may be years away from answering. Even if it progressed beyond the "thinking about it" stage.
    [Deleted User]
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I have no idea how the LoLs and the Fortnite's do so well....To me they have toxic communities and shallow gameplay.

Instant gratification and if you are really good then criticism isn't really going to hit you.

As far as I'm aware, LoL was the first true successor to the WC3 version of DOTA. At least in terms of keeping heroes and styles. And I believe they had at least one person attached to the WC3 mod at one point. HoN was out around the same time but I'm not sure it was as polished or had any DOTA devs.

Anyway, being the first to truly capture that market is much different than making a game in a long established and dwindling market. Fortnite has truly changed the multiplayer market at this point. PVP in MMO's seems to be super niche at this point and I'm not sure that will ever change.

It's their money and it's always good to see new twists on the MMO genre. But it seems like a major gamble.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

They do well because people like them, it has nothing to do with the community of the game. Honestly, "community" is just a buzzword used by game devs to address their players in most games at this point.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I seem to recall an investment story about 10cent, Riot and a new studio made up of MMORPG devs, can find it now though.
    Thupli
  • swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292
    How about a new version of COD4:MW or Unreal Tournament 2004? Lots of killing went on in those titles, easy to learn and you did not have to sneak around for 10 minutes go get into the action.

I know, many people did not like them, especially COD4, however, I thought it was somewhat adrenaline pumping.

There was no leveling up, except higher rank brought better or different weapons, no looking under every rock for something, no killing 7,000 of the same mobs or 100,000+ of different looking mobs for advancement and loot drops.

WoW is a gear chasing game and that is why I stopped playing it, and its manifold lame quests that include jumping through 10,000+ hoops and mob kills to allow me to fly in a new zone....

No need for zombies, just let me shoot on-screen characters driven by real people. For the most part, killing mobs for years on end in an MMO is lame at best.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Celcius said:

People said the same thing about SWTOR. Look, RIOT can certainly make an MMO that is viable and does well in 2018, but no one is ever going to beat WoW. It is foolish of them to imply that they would even be going against it.

I think SWTOR is different case - they actually have a lot of box buyership, however they killed themselves through a badly customized Hero engine (which is totally ill-suited for any events that might have a lot of players at the same place in the same time), their overzealous amount of instancing, and their lackluster space game (which they probably shouldn't have even put in if rail shooter was all they were planning to do).

In short, they killed themselves. It was all possible to be up there with WoW right up until that point.
  • vespar555vespar555 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    he is what you call an idiot
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

And if he is in any way involved in a MMO project that's as sure a sign as you'll get that it's going to suck ass.  He molested WoW wholesale; poor game hasn't been the same since.

Why the WTFs?  Last I checked Ghostcrawler murdered WoW and then humped its dead corpse until it resembled something he could call his own and the game we currently have is largely a result of his poor decisions.  Granted, I still enjoyed it for what it is, but he destroyed much of its old identity.  If you disagree I'd love to hear why.

It's never one person that destroys a game. If anything, a team of devs adapts to player driven trends, which os exactly what happened.

If anything, GC tried to right the ship that was getting off course at the end of Wrath. Don't you remember Cataclysms 5 man dungeons on release? They were super hard, and that was GC trying to get the ship back.

It didn't happen bc the players that had come into the game didn't want the old style of wow. The wow team realized that the playerbase had changed and wisely adapted to keep their business going.

Sedryn, if there was a less strong disagree button instead of WTF, I would have used it. I agree with nearly all your posts on wow. I just think that GC was awesome for the game and did more that anyone to get me to understand the dev side of wow. He was a great communicator that deeply cared about the game.
    [Deleted User]Zalgotas
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Well I too am probably biased because I liked him from his posts. But I vividly remember how easy 5 mans were at the end of wrath. Then the five mans in cataclysm were so hard at the start. Managing mana as a healer, right down to the wire. Triaging who really needed healing and when. It really felt like TBC at the start.

But I do remember revamp of old world quests... So linear and mind numbing. Talent trees cut in half and locked into one before you could go to a second. There was some writing on the wall that they were starting to go for convienence of achievement.

He certain isn't completely free of sin, but I think the majority of players would not tolerate lack of convenience after getting accustomed to it at the end of wrath.
    [Deleted User]