Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft on the verge of shutting Guild Wars 2 down?!?!?!

Comments

• ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I'm adding my 2 cents: when things start going bad, cutting expenses is certainly wise. But if you cut too much, you might end up unable to get back on your feet.
    Even if NcSoft owned Gw2 and saw a bad quarter, cutting it all togheter would severely maim their offer, and they would need to come up with other ideas (that could perform worse than GW2)
    Personally, after the whole Black Desert "fail" I've seen a lot of new players coming to the game, Anet also made a good discount on the expansion during that period, overall I believe the game is healthy!
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I think the government (or privately held company, idgad as long as it gets done) should open a huge state-of-the-art warehouse with awesome temperature controls, and call if The Farm.

When devs are done with their MMORPG's, for whatever reason, they should send their game (in all its forms) off to The Farm, so it can still be played in perpetuity.

If there needs to be a subscription to have access to all the games, I'm sure those of us who love our particular MMO would gladly pay it.

Pick the game, pick the version you prefer (SWG pre-CU or ur fav version of WoW: WoTLK or LOTRO: MoM, as examples), log in and play.

If anyone comes up with this business, and gets devs to agree because they would want their love child to live on forever, remember this was my idea. I'll take a corner office closest to the restroom and %5!

Gut Out!
    Chimborazo

What, me worry?

• ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Gutlard said:
    I think the government (or privately held company, idgad as long as it gets done) should open a huge state-of-the-art warehouse with awesome temperature controls, and call if The Farm.

When devs are done with their MMORPG's, for whatever reason, they should send their game (in all its forms) off to The Farm, so it can still be played in perpetuity.

If there needs to be a subscription to have access to all the games, I'm sure those of us who love our particular MMO would gladly pay it.

Pick the game, pick the version you prefer (SWG pre-CU or ur fav version of WoW: WoTLK or LOTRO: MoM, as examples), log in and play.

If anyone comes up with this business, and gets devs to agree because they would want their love child to live on forever, remember this was my idea. I'll take a corner office closest to the restroom and %5!

Gut Out!
    That's definitely a good idea: especially in this age where even a 5 years old MMO looks good (somebody might have problems with old 2d / isometric games, but i doubt that people will be reluctant to play a decent looking game like Aion, Gw2 or Age of Conan in the future because of their graphic)
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    edited July 2018
    They're both crap.Just don't like either. One was a lobby game you could totally solo with merc groups and the  other was carebear world.

• CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Doubtful, been playing last few days, seems plenty of players still, GW1 still is up, and City of heroes seemed an anomaly as it wasn't that much in decline, and people are still pissed about it.. plus isn't GW series run by a separate branch of NCSoft that has it's own management choices? ArenaNet..
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    Doubtful, been playing last few days, seems plenty of players still, GW1 still is up, and City of heroes seemed an anomaly as it wasn't that much in decline, and people are still pissed about it.. plus isn't GW series run by a separate branch of NCSoft that has it's own management choices? ArenaNet..
    GW1 is not in active development, its in maintenance mode. CoH was in active development and had an update with a new area and archetype announced right before they were shut down. Same goes for Wildstar, its still going because it is not in active development.

Arenanet is self publishing GW2 but they are still a subsidiary of NCsoft which means they are 100% owned by NCsoft. The only difference is that now Arenanet sets deadlines and milestones and not NCsoft.

If GW2 revenues falls too much self publishing wont matter.
    mmolou
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xiaoki said:
    GW1 is not in active development, its in maintenance mode. CoH was in active development and had an update with a new area and archetype announced right before they were shut down. Same goes for Wildstar, its still going because it is not in active development.

Arenanet is self publishing GW2 but they are still a subsidiary of NCsoft which means they are 100% owned by NCsoft. The only difference is that now Arenanet sets deadlines and milestones and not NCsoft.

If GW2 revenues falls too much self publishing wont matter.
    On the contrary, they are in the same position as FFXIV:ARR is with SE, they are no better off, nor any worse, all games are at the mercy of the 'market' but seeing as there is no reason for doom and gloom, there is little if any, reason to not expect GW2 to be around and likely prospering for several more years at least. ;)
    CorileannaDakeru
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    exile01 said:
    i hope it gets shut down. People compare GW2 with GW1, but GW1 is still superior in many ways. Never touch a running system. On the other hand, GW2 was a huge dissapointment and a big fat lie to all GW1 vets.
    I played the original and liked it, but kind missed the golden age for it, then i lost the account, so when the second one released i found it perfect, leveling just felt slow and i dunno lost interest when the population started dropping. Having returned, i still like it and am trying to get further to try the expansions, only to level 24 without boosting but it's nice. I like how it kinda took risks and made unique choices in its design.. Weapons as skills, trinity still kinda, even though all can heal, had dynamic content kind of, similar to rift i guess, no quest hubs, fractals, raids, pvp, wpvp, awesome classes and graphics and the guild wars lore. Pretty good game actually.. I do regret not having gotten to enjoy the first on as much though.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    GW1 was great.
    GW2 is great in it's own way.
    Played it for ages but eventually got bored as you do with all games.

I'd buy a GW3 in an instant if they followed the GW1 formula on a new engine.

rpmcmurphy

..Cake..

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    sgel said:
    GW1 was great.

never liked the heavy instancing in gw1 or the invis walls everywhere.

FrodoFragins

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    NCSOFT don't own the game!
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Thane said:
    sgel said:
    GW1 was great.

never liked the heavy instancing in gw1 or the invis walls everywhere.

No game is perfect.. the gameplay and mechanics more than made up for it.
    Plenty of games out there that offer huge open worlds for exploration.

..Cake..

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Dakeru said:
    Nepheth said:
    Don't take him too serious. After this one,

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470804/i-finally-did-it-next-goal-is-to-get-the-next-mmorpg-com-rank

I don't take him serious enough to answer his discussions. He's just looking for attention...
    Yeah he also once admitted picking up the random brainfarts of people he finds on reddit to post them here.

He only cares about getting clicks and votings - nothing else.

He does all this to get attention on a website that's mostly irrelevant? I mean... that's one way to spend your time. 
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    This makes no sense. NCSOFT doesn't own the rights to Guild Wars 2, Arenanet does. What they have is a partnership. Arenanet uses their server technology and NCSOFT gets a share of the profits. If NCSOFT doesn't feel like they get enough out of this arrangement then Arenanet will simply look for another partner or go at it alone.

However, I don't see that happening. Guild Wars 2 is/ was an extremely successful MMO. As long as it makes NCSOFT some money it makes no sense cutting ties. They are not responsible for publishing or developing it so it is a very good deal for them. Also, why would they sever ties with a studio that has made them so much money over the years? It was different with, let's say Tabula Rasa which A) never was a hit and B) didn't have a studio behind it that had a franchise or a past hit. I'd also bet money on Arenanet already working on Guild Wars 3, early stages but seeing as the first two titles were pretty succesful a third one is bound to make some money. NCSOFT already knows after Wildstar and other failures that it is incredibly hard launching a new IP.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    GW2 awful successor to GW1 (I wanted GW1 with the same build and profession set up but in a persistent world) but IMHO a great game in it's own right, I have been loving it for the past several months. 46 zones now and I have never been in an empty one, there are clearly plenty of people playing it and people are clearly spending money in the cash shop, not going anywhere anytime soon :)

• RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    No it's not. Stop making stuff up OP. 
    craftseeker
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    i was a hardcore GW1 vet, reached top 16 in world with my guild [DeeR]  we mainly did spike but would run other comps. Though you didn't see anyone in the world while questing or what not i felt the world was still very much alive.

I still strongly remember getting runs for new characters to draks forge to get the 15k gear lol! Then 2 manning UW with my necro and a 50monk. Good times Good times. PRobably one of my all time favorites tbh. GW1 felt so much more alive than the second one. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Gorwe said:
    exile01 said:
    i hope it gets shut down. People compare GW2 with GW1, but GW1 is still superior in many ways. Never touch a running system. On the other hand, GW2 was a huge dissapointment and a big fat lie to all GW1 vets.
    That it was. Boring, pretentious and a big fat lie to all of us GW 1 vets(=I hate GW 2). But that doesn't mean it wasn't and isn't profitable. It was and it is. Meaning, why shut it down? Regardless of my opinions and likes / dislikes, it doesn't make sense to close it down.

Because if they DO shut it down, GW 1 goes with it. Just fyi.
    Every guild I have been in started in GW1; many players started there as well, including me, and some still play it. Yeah it's different in some aspects, but the lore is there. If you can play the game for what it is, it's great. I've accomplished most of what I want to accomplish in the game so for now it's kind of in maintenance mode while I devote most my time to ESO, but for me this is one of the MMOs I've stuck with the longest for one reason or another.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    ysquare21 said:
    This makes no sense. NCSOFT doesn't own the rights to Guild Wars 2, Arenanet does. What they have is a partnership. Arenanet uses their server technology and NCSOFT gets a share of the profits. If NCSOFT doesn't feel like they get enough out of this arrangement then Arenanet will simply look for another partner or go at it alone.
    See, this is whats maddening. People take a little bit of information and because they have zero clue how anything else works start spreading misinformation and lies.

Arenanet is a subsidiary of NCsoft.

NCsoft wholly owns Arenanet 100%.

A subsidiary is technically a completely different company which is why Arenanet can act as a publisher. Activision, Blizzard and Activision Blizzard are all completely different companies with Activision and Blizzard being subsidiaries of Activision Blizzard.

Arenanet can NOT in any way look for a different "partner"
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'd be really fucking surprised, considering GW2 has a HUGE playerbase. And they are definitely still pumping a lot of money into the game based on what I see on the exchange. So not very likely.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    They would only shut down GW2 if they are getting out of the MMO business. After CoX people were pissed off. If they shut down GW2 with minimal warning, people would stop playing their games. You don't want to put in all that time and effort only for them to shut it down.

Games like Auto Assault or Tabula Rasa had committed communities. But I would never compare them to CoX or the GW series in popularity.  Shutting down GW2 would cause irreparable damage to their rep. 
    wingoodDakeru
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Lets hope they don't shut down for a couple more months. I just bought the latest expansion, ultimate edition too.

I wonder if I can finally find a class I like. I do like the world a lot.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Better make a new thread about how Blizzard is going to shut down WoW, you know to complete the blatant stupidity.
    NephethkitaradDakeru

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• viddiotviddiot Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Thats crazy. GW2 is very much alive. I would be stupefied if this was to happen. I play GW2 and love the game. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    People still argue about this troll thread? What are u guys smoking?