Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ready for Beta One? If So, July 31st is Your Huckleberry! - Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Sephrus said:

Kyleran said:

Shaigh said:

Camelot unchained will never be good looking game and there won't be a miracle patch to fix how the game looks. The artistic style they use is far from enough to cover the low graphics budget they have to use so that 500+ players can fight for the same area without suffering from massive lag. 

Their goal is 1000 players in a single battlefield.

The real limitation is player hardware.  They stated several years ago they were developing and testing on "medium" gaming rigs to ensure it would be playable by the "average" gamer.

A mistake IMO, they should be optimizing it on and for high end I9. 1070 or even 1080 rigs, with a 500+ GB SSD drive of course.

The game likely isn't fully launching until 2020, if the average gamer isnt at least at that spec by then they aren't really serious about playing good MMOs and should just stick to their PS4s.

Its time MMORPG devs went back to developing for the high end PC once again.

B)

Just by using I9 and 1070 in the statement about high end gaming shows all true high end gamers that you have no idea what you are talking about. Current I9 processors are NOT optimized for gaming and a gtx 1070 is a mid level card, at best.

Someone is certainly displaying their ignorance, pretty sure its not me. Besides the fact I mentioned the 1080, heres a recent story about the best video cards in 2018, and oh snap, several 1070s on the list, go figure.

But my guess is they are shooting for a lower bar than both which is a mistake IMO.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/355217/the-best-graphics-cards

I agree. Any mmorpg that plans to release in 2019 to 2020 on should really target much higher specs than just middle of the road hardware in today’s market. 1080 at least 
    Same for the I9.  There is solid debate whether purchasing an I9 is useful "today" though if talking high end laptops (what I use) perhaps so.

By 2020 I expect I9s or the best I7s to become the norm, so that is what they should be optimizing towards today.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3267699/laptop-computers/should-you-buy-a-core-i9-laptop.html
    JamesGoblinGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    You said it yourself. The main reason 2018 games can't handle 1000 players on screen is the eye candy.

They do have that massive battle capability as a design priority. Obviously they have to dial back on the graphics compared to the games that focus on eye candy and small battles - like all these non-MMO, multiplayer, heavily instanced games that are all the rage these days (Destiny, Anthem, etc.)

It's a niche game in the sense that they are prioritizing something that isn't mainstream... and for me and my gaming tastes this is a very good thing.
    JamesGoblinScottweedledumb99Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160

Kyleran said:

Shaigh said:

Camelot unchained will never be good looking game and there won't be a miracle patch to fix how the game looks. The artistic style they use is far from enough to cover the low graphics budget they have to use so that 500+ players can fight for the same area without suffering from massive lag. 

The real limitation is player hardware.  They stated several years ago they were developing and testing on "medium" gaming rigs to ensure it would be playable by the "average" gamer.

A mistake IMO, they should be optimizing it on and for high end I9. 1070 or even 1080 rigs, with a 500+ GB SSD drive of course.

The game likely isn't fully launching until 2020, if the average gamer isnt at least at that spec by then they aren't really serious about playing good MMOs and should just stick to their PS4s.

B)

Yeah, because this worked out really well for Everquest 2 vs WoW when these games released. I honestly can't remember a successful mmo that was aimed for upper tier pcs
    JamesGoblinitchmonNepheth
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    You guys realize that this is an actual kickstarter MMO that got all the way to beta 1, which means chances are it will release? Domething that even i didnt believe when i chucked down a hundred bucks on the KS on the outside chance it would launch, and that naysayers said was impossible. And we are arguing over potato graphics.

Something something forest something trees, FFS.

Look and. I dunno, every mmo that's 10 years old. They have all had gfx upgrades. Eve in ultra mode is stunning and the game is from 2003.

That said, if the goal of the game is to have 1000 people fighting, everyone in the fight is going to at least temporarily potato mode the game, if they dont want the server to bonk halfway through the fight.

Battle of UALX veteran here, i know of which i speak ;)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sephrus said:

Kyleran said:

Shaigh said:

B)

Just by using I9 and 1070 in the statement about high end gaming shows all true high end gamers that you have no idea what you are talking about. Current I9 processors are NOT optimized for gaming and a gtx 1070 is a mid level card, at best.

Welcome to the boards! Good to see Kyleran is doing his bit incensing people enough that they become posters. :)
    itchmontweedledumb99JamesGoblin
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

This is cool! I really wish there was no NDA though....I wanna see some gameplay even if it's rough!

JamesGoblin

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

retiredmj said:

Kyleran said:

Shaigh said:

B)

Yeah, because this worked out really well for Everquest 2 vs WoW when these games released. I honestly can't remember a successful mmo that was aimed for upper tier pcs
    Besides Richard Garriott saying in a recent video they developed UO on the best PC money could buy?

Or DAOC, which required the user to buy one of about 10 approved video cards to even play it, nevermind that if the entire rig wasn't close to the top end the large scale battles were basically a slide show.

Then there was Lineage 2, one of the better optimised MMOs for large scale combat, basically by removing much of the customizations between characters. Still for good performance in large sieges, you still wanted a better rig.

Shadowbane, terribly optimized at launch, yet those with good rigs had far better performance during large fights vs those without..

Even early EVE fights were best fought on good rigs, still true today.

This studio isn't looking for AAA numbers, I'm sure if they matched EQ2s success they'd be ecstatic. 

Their target niche is players looking to have large scale battles, expecting them to upgrade to a tier or two below current top end at launch is not unreasonable.

My first PC which I bought to play games (with 'awesome' CGA graphics) cost $1500 back in 1988.

Why did I spend so much over a $150 console? Because PC games were so much more advanced than most anything available on a console, hence it was worth the extra expense.

Yet today people expect to play a game like this on hardware costing far less?

Weird.
    JamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

SBFord said:

One track minds, the lot o'ya. FFS.

How about "on topic"? While you see if you can do that, I'll go change the picture.

Ah so they are talking about some image in the article? Man for a moment I thought how the hell everyone has become aware of my hand's whereabouts.

Because yeah, if you think while reading about the beta finally happening my hand should be anywhere else then you are dead inside.

There you go, was on topic or what?
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I have a 980 and a 4770K cpu, I got about 80-90 FPS, everything at max. Do you need a top end pc to run the game no. Any game that tries to push bleeding edge when it comes to graphics, in a mmo, is risking loosing out on a lot of potential customers. There are also the bugs that come with that sort of development, anyone remember Vanguard, Age of Conan, FFXIV version 1.0?

I am not going to complain about placeholders in a tech Alpha. Honestly how many of you have actually been a tester for a game that was being built from the ground up? (including the engine) Look how long Alpha took, and beta will take at least 1 year. My advice, if you're expecting a polished ready for launch game, I would suggest you wait until the game goes live, otherwise you'll be wasting your time.

This is NOT going to be some marketing ploy early access nonsense, it's an actual test of a game in actual beta, hell beta 1 testing will only be done mostly on the weekend, aside for a few random tests.

I am telling you right now, the game has complex systems, from combat, to crafting, and to building, NONE of it is "intuitive" (no dumbed down game here). No KA cash grab, it is a subscription model. Absolutely not one mmo game has the kind of engine that CU has, NONE of them (name one mmo that runs on 64 bit) . Not one mmo has an engine that will put to use the hardware in your machine (including your multi-core cpus) . How many mmos have spells that are physical? I really don't think most of you grasp the concept of the game in it's entirety.

MJ decided to make the game a 64 bit game, because 32 bit was not enough, to get done, what he plans on doing. Do I expect the game to be to everyone's liking, no probably not considering how little PVE will be in the game, or the complexity of the game might turn some people off, but niche games with a fanbase, all ready to play, will succeed, not going to be the next "WoW killer", but it will definitely appeal to those DAoC folks, in a big way.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    Sephrus said:

Kyleran said:

Shaigh said:

B)

No, the GTX 1060 is a mid-level card, the GTX 1070 is a performance card, the GTX 1080 is an enthusiast card. 

You're welcome.
    Which my point being by early 2020 when this game is likely to launch does it make more sense to optimize for at least the 1070/1080 video standard?

One would think by then most of the target niche will be at least up to this level of tech.

On an unrelated note, anyone know how the testing went this weekend?

Any chance beta 1 releases by tomorrow? 
    [Deleted User]

• tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited July 2018

Kyleran said:

On an unrelated note, anyone know how the testing went this weekend?

Any chance beta 1 releases by tomorrow? 

Seems to be a pretty high chance beta starts tomorrow - everything they've been saying has been "beta is a go for Tuesday" - note: this is not confirmation, just my opinion that it seems likely.

Testing went pretty well, I didn't get any crashes, got good performance. They didn't get the 400-500 testers at-the-same-time they were looking for, so that's why I'm uncertain tomorrow is 100%. Also re: testing, wish my team would do teamwork better (not like I helped that a lot lol), but I will note that our mediocre performance gameplay-wise is not holding up the beta :P
    JamesGoblinKyleran
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Agricola1 said:

This is cool! I really wish there was no NDA though....I wanna see some gameplay even if it's rough!

Nice!  Can't wait for launch!
    Agricola1 said:

Nice!  Can't wait for launch!
    Oh, don't worry, you'll be waiting for the launch, at least a year or more away at this point.

;)
    YashaX