Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bill is Wrong - Warframe Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBill is Wrong - Warframe Columns

Frankly, I felt bad for all the other press members at TennoCon because they will never get the chance to feel as connected to a game as I am. It makes me sad real game journalist like Bill, are too busy to be able to sit down every night and enjoy the game they love like I do. What they do every night is to ensure you, the reader, have the most unbiased snapshot of a game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I’m looking forward to trying this again on Nintendo Switch. Never really got into it before, but it’s been a long time and I’m looking for something MMO to play handheld on my Switch.
    klash2def

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    On one hand, the existing review for Warframe absolutely is not accurate to the game anymore. It is absolutely brilliant now, and it is a shame to see reviews from year one failing to give it the credit it is due.

On the other hand, re-reviews are rare because they set a precedent. One well-deserved re-review can open the floodgates to every hack developer and their mother demanding a re-review because of a decent patch or two. That kind of work load is unrealistic for a review site.
    DarkpigeonThupliThahar
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    LOL Yeah but isn't that their job ? Shouldn't they want to be current in their job no matter the work load. They chose to be a review site of mmo's. Everyone knows that mmo's change over time. Reviews of mmo's are subject to change. So no its a poor excuse about the unrealistic workload they have to do. All reviews of mmo's should at the end say this review is not final because mmo's change over time. And anymore who plays mmo's should know this.
    SolancerRexKushmanTacticalZombehThahar
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hariken said:
    LOL Yeah but isn't that their job ? Shouldn't they want to be current in their job no matter the work load. They chose to be a review site of mmo's. Everyone knows that mmo's change over time. Reviews of mmo's are subject to change. So no its a poor excuse about the unrealistic workload they have to do. All reviews of mmo's should at the end say this review is not final because mmo's change over time. And anymore who plays mmo's should know this.
    Two points of order:

1) Despite being on the list of best 2018 MMOs, Warframe isn't one no matter how many times people try to claim otherwise. 

2. MMORPG.com did re-review Warframe in June of 2018.

https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/reviews.cfm?game=1017&ismb=1&read=506

My job of correcting other people's errors is done here.

;)
    JamesGoblinNildenScotmmolou

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Hariken said:
    Two points of order:

1) Despite being on the list of best 2018 MMOs, Warframe isn't one no matter how many times people try to claim otherwise. 

;)
    That is a much better review, which I was unaware of. Even so, I do find it strange that grinding is listed as a con in a game which is all about grinding. 

Warframe has more in common with Diablo than it does with a third person shooter or MMO, and in that regard, it's the best Diablo style game ever made.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Hariken said:

LOL Yeah but isn't that their job ? Shouldn't they want to be current in their job no matter the work load.

Normally, I'd just scoff at your comment and believe you were being unrealistic. However, the last few years have been a famine for new/decent MMOs so... you know what... bring on the re-reviews. There haven't been any new good MMOs for a while so why not take the time to re-review some old stuff?
    [Deleted User]KyleranThahar
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited July 2018
    He usually is. >:D

Just kidding, Bill!

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited July 2018
    On first glance, I thought this was going to be about the J. Price/ArenaNet story. Dah well. :lol:

I'm serious!

[Deleted User]Scot
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited July 2018
    On first glance, I thought this was going to be about the J. Price/ArenaNet story. Dah well. :lol:

I'm serious!

I mean, we really do deserve a counterpoint opinion piece, but the time for that has passed. At this point, I just want that controversy to die.
    MadFrenchieLokeroTacticalZombeh
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Its great for those that are way into WarFrame but if you like me the f2p or new to the game, well what they don't tell you is that this game is not all that fun after . . say 10 hours in. Then the next 10 hours after that you'll quickly realized if your not a super space ninja "like them" then you are often get left behind I do mean way behind. Warframe is not newbie friendly nor wallet friendly either.

To learn to play this game is not as easy as those ppl say it is, but now thanks to the new open world update it made it "a bit less" confusing. While the core game is still more of a confuse over-size maze of corridors and the mission object is like where I need to go or do again? So new player will definitely be left to wonder while the "Pro WILL" leave everything behind. So far behind that you cant even collect all the loot and you will be missing out on while the pros will end the mission without you. IF that sound like fun I guess new ppl just have to "git gud" or else its not as fun as any of those ppl would have you believe.

So which place the "New ppl" and the f2p ppl pretty much left behind, I personally find the maps and objectives hard to understand or which direction I need to go at some point, plus your on a timer, and while trying to keep up with the Pros will having you feeling like a pansy at all times. Being a f2p is NOT fun if you ask me, THE only way they clam Warframe to be fun if you spend $100+ bucks on it otherwise nope. F2P ppl are very limited in everything that are fun/cool/useful anyway, not how the reviewers or the fans would pitch it how great it is. If those reviewer ever try the real F2P they will quickly learn it isn't as fun nor cool as to compare to their given free stuff account.

With all the things they added and tried, the dev of Warframe is just as slimy as any other, however, while at least they do back track and does do 180 if they need to, I guess that somehow made them a good dev? But the CORE of Warframe is anything fun or cool as the dev or the fans have you believe. Don't have to believe anything I say, download it and try it and see if it holds water.

At the end Warframe is just another mmo like game, with features which is hardly fun when undermine whats supposedly fun aspect behind a paywall. Its not even a car when you give it away but without wheels/engine/breaks/fuel tank/etc it sure sound like a mmo game as a free to play isn't it? Am sure those games would go far without those, hehe.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    edited July 2018
    I have tried time and time again to get into Warframe but it is literally impossible for me to give a shit about what I'm doing for more than 30-40 minutes. I'll run a mission or two. The lore is boring. The constant nagging feeling of me not making progress is lingering there too. There's actually -too much shit- in the game right now. From the moment I login to the moment I log off I never know if what I've done is worth anything. I collect a lot of stuff. I find blue prints. I craft a thing or two (if it's not a 2-4 day wait time for a frame)...

After that it's a repeat effort. The stories deliverery I think is what ultimately makes me not play the game. If I don't care about what I'm doing in a game, if I have zero connection to the characters or the world that I'm supposed to invest in... Nah. Even in a game like Destiny, I have a basic understanding of what's going on and what I'm doing. That is all I need. I need something that I can grab onto and hone in on. I've read the wiki for WF and despite the story having some interesting bits and pieces to it it's not shown to me in game in a way that makes me care enough about continuing.

Oh and the Warframes look like they're overly designed/drawn pieces of poop. That doesn't help.
    [Deleted User]HashberryThahar
    I like to complain about games.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited July 2018
    Bill is wrong, you are right, 12/10.
    Warframe is the best lobby multiplayer title right now, also if including all mmo titles.
    It has incrdible (hidden) depth, good longevity despite horizontal progression, rewarding skillfull play, and one of the very few titles not ruined by its f2p model. And it hits the elusive fun factor.
    Gitgood
    Oh yeah it is very much possible to reach the full endgame with 10-20$ investment (only buy plat and only when 75% discount). The rest you can farm and trade for.. It is called earning your stuff kids, you should try it.. It is a great feeling.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    kjempff said:
    Bill is wrong, you are right, 12/10.
    Warframe is the best lobby multiplayer title right now, also if including all mmo titles.
    It has incrdible (hidden) depth, good longevity despite horizontal progression, rewarding skillfull play, and one of the very few titles not ruined by its f2p model. And it hits the elusive fun factor.
    Gitgood
    Oh yeah it is very much possible to reach the full endgame with 10-20$ investment (only buy plat and only when 75% discount). The rest you can farm and trade for.. It is called earning your stuff kids, you should try it.. It is a great feeling.

Found the paid shill
    AeanderKyleranScotJamesGoblinThahar
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    VALKYR!!!!!

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Aeander said:

I'm serious!

I mean, we really do deserve a counterpoint opinion piece, but the time for that has passed. At this point, I just want that controversy to die.
    I don't see why there is a need for a counter opinion on the matter at all. When even ardent feminists are telling you to sit down, shut up, and stop digging the hole deeper, the one opinion seems to be held by all except those allowing ideology to override reality. What possible, accurate points could be made in a pro-Price think piece? The entire argument would boil down to buzzwords and insisting she was "oppressed" because someone dared to share their opinion with her online. 

But I digress. I like Warframe, I just wish its rabid fanbase would stop insisting their subjective opinion on whether Destiny or Warframe is better is gospel. Objective data shows one is clearly the victor.
    edited July 2018
    The only thing this game desperately needs is dedicated servers. The feeling of spending a bunch of void relics on an excavation mission only for some dickhead to disconnect and waste all of that time and all of those relics is just soul crushing. It just happened to me.... again. And it's hard to not just stare at the screen and want to turn the game off. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I like Warframe, but god, I hate the art style. Its so incredibly ugly I stop playing every time, I can't connect with any of it. If Warframe looked like Destiny I would be all over it. For everything faulty Destiny's art style knocks it out of the park for me. Now I am playing neither  :'(

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Solancerklash2defJamesGoblinThahar
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    The only thing wrong with Bill's review is he thinks it is a MMO because it has a persistent world, he changed to "MMO like", but come on. It is a good multiplayer lobby game and an 8.5 is a score any game should hope for, though I do realise that since the advent of social media we have to rank everything zero or ten. :)
    JamesGoblin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I don't really see the point in this article. No game is without flaws and the game got the rating it deserved. To be honest, writing such a bias piece just raises more questions than those it was trying to answer in terms of why the game got below a 10.
  • rkiprkip Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Deer Lord (sic), you had me at " genetically enhanced procrastination". Amazingly asute observations, Warframe has come a long way and it is also now my day-dreaming obsession.
  • StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110

Aeander said:

Kyleran said:

Hariken said:

Two points of order:

;)

That is a much better review, which I was unaware of. Even so, I do find it strange that grinding is listed as a con in a game which is all about grinding. 

Warframe has more in common with Diablo than it does with a third person shooter or MMO, and in that regard, it's the best Diablo style game ever made.

Warframe is great, but the best Diablo-style game 150% goes to Path of Exile
    Strycker said:

Aeander said:

Kyleran said:

Hariken said:

Two points of order:

;)

Warframe is great, but the best Diablo-style game 150% goes to Path of Exile
    We'll have to agree to disagree, because while I like Path of Exile a lot, I find that Warframe is way better.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Scot said:

The only thing wrong with Bill's review is he thinks it is a MMO because it has a persistent world, he changed to "MMO like", but come on. It is a good multiplayer lobby game and an 8.5 is a score any game should hope for, though I do realise that since the advent of social media we have to rank everything zero or ten. :)

Funny how I see people always trying to correct someone about what a MMO is as if they are the only ones who know. Funny because MMOs (excluding wow) from early 2000's are never coming back. "MMO-Lites" (Popular term) are what has risen from the ashes of the traditional MMO.

I can break it down further but that's the truth.
    JamesGoblin
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Lightningstalk3rLightningstalk3r Member UncommonPosts: 13
    only if u wer funny lol
    2fast for u

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    replace unbiased with uninformed and thus very little understanding. You pretty much articulated why most game reviews are near worthless, yet somehow managed to act like it was a good thing.

Nothing worse or more offensive than some person who plays a game for 2-4 hours trying to tell the world about the good bad and ugly of the product a product that in most cases you wont actually have a thorough and proper understanding of without investing 100 hours in (even more importantly in a mmorpg type of game where you cant even scratch the surface of in your first few hours lol). In the end you get shallow empty meaningless reviews that are often regurgitating what they glean from the community in the first place.