Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN and the Importance of Internet Security (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageVPN and the Importance of Internet Security (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

Security online is very important. Why wouldn't you want to protect something where all the precious data you have is placed? Modern smartphones and laptops are more than just communication tools. We read, shop, order, communicate, do banking, and run a business online. All of this make hacking into your computer even more attractive for a cyber criminal than it was a couple of years ago.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2018
    I've never used VPNs for a one reason, I don't know which one to trust. I sure as hell don't trust anything owned by major corporations. I was considering trying Tunnel Bear until McAffee bought it.
    Now i see a lot of youtubers promoting and/or recommending NordVPN, but i'm still on the fence about all of them.

I also tend to not trust VPNs based in the US because i would think (maybe i'm wrong) they have to comply with the government or our ISP and give them all our data. It's been done in the past so i rather not waste my money on them.
    acidbloodLazarus71Lenoxdaltanious

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I did a lot of looking into VPN's but the main issue I always run into is they are slow, maybe not for surfing but some streaming and downloading can be painful on a VPN. I looked at Tunnel Bear and NordVPN but went with Private Internet Access (More so as it is recommended by Linus Tech Tips) but like buying a car it is up to the individual which is best for them.
    daltanious
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    is there one that you can just fire and forget? i don't really understand that stuff i got one with my new internet provider but it seems like i have to activate it manually all the time and i tend to forget stuff like that.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    is there one that you can just fire and forget? i don't really understand that stuff i got one with my new internet provider but it seems like i have to activate it manually all the time and i tend to forget stuff like that.
    Most of them have a client that can start with windows and auto connect. 

I have used a couple VPN's, just to get access to games that are region locked or to download something, and depending on the provider you can get decent speeds at all times. I just can't use one 24/7 because I want to get my 500 down instead of 20 down that you might get on a VPN connection. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    if your ISP provided you with a VPN, you can be almost certain that you are equally vulnerable with or without it as your ISP will have all your info either way.

My thoughts.
    LeFantome

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited July 2018

I've never used VPNs for a one reason, I don't know which one to trust. I sure as hell don't trust anything owned by major corporations. I was considering trying Tunnel Bear until McAffee bought it.

Now i see a lot of youtubers promoting and/or recommending NordVPN, but i'm still on the fence about all of them.

I also tend to not trust VPNs based in the US because i would think (maybe i'm wrong) they have to comply with the government or our ISP and give them all our data. It's been done in the past so i rather not waste my money on them.

This is my concern as well... VPNs only encrypt traffic between their end points (e.g. your PC and the VPN provider), so there is nothing stopping the VPN provider from spying on you, and since you'll be sending them literally all of your traffic...

Also, nothing stops the endpoint (e.g. website) itself from knowing exactly what you’re doing… so if your searching via Google, logging in with Facebook, or just visiting dodgy websites (including those public Wi-Fi 'login' pages) a VPN isn't going to help.

Encryption generally is important though, but that's why HTTPS is a thing, or using your Banks purpose built App.

And if you want to prevent being 'hacked' then no VPN is as good as setting a strong password on your router, using NAT, turning off any form of remote access / admin (assuming your ISP lets you, which is 99% the reason I always use my own router) and just generally not doing stupid stuff like installing random software, opening random emails, and visiting shady websites.

NB. Also the work thing makes no sense… as in yes you should use a VPN when working remotely, but that should be a private VPN setup by and connected directly to your company, not just some random free VPN service (again, you will be literally sending them your files!).
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    edited July 2018
    if your ISP provided you with a VPN, you can be almost certain that you are equally vulnerable with or without it as your ISP will have all your info either way.

My thoughts.
    maybe.. but they seem to be a bit rebellious and wipe the info every 24hrs or some stuff like that.
    government tried to sue them about it a couple of times i think.

either way i like em.. the only connection downtime i've had was like 6 months ago or something and they even told me about it in advance.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I use ProtonVPN (by the same people that do ProtonMail), they have a free tier for their VPN service which serves me well although all the good stuff is on their paid tiers. They're Swiss based, they seem to be very transparent and their service is very good. NordVPN are way better than they used to be, they used to have quite a bad reputation for performance but seem to have turned that around, good annual deals as well. Mullvad is another decent one, no identifying information used when signing up and you can pay by cash in the post if you really want :)
    rojoArcueidd_20
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You can configure your router, pc, or browser to use a vpn but a lot of financial sites won't let you connect if they pick up vpn servers being used. Also can cause increase use of bandwidth.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    VPNs are safe? Yeah, only if the VPN provider you're using isn't tracking and selling your information.

VPNs are secure? Riigghhtt. Doesn't matter if the tunnel is encryped (a favorite marketing smokescreen), it can be accessed and therefore hacked. You can't truely be safe unless you cloak the communication and that can't happen with existing networking. You need to decouple identity and location, the fatal flaw of TCP/IP, a technology from the 1960's with NO built-in security.

TL;DR If you think you're suddenly safe using a VPN, then you're a fool. The only thing they're good for is accessing region-locked endpoints.
    SensaiGdemami

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited July 2018
    "Why can't you keep all data safe without a VPN?

A VPN is a multipurpose tool, which is not even used to its maximum potential. For example, many people install a VPN on their home computers to get access to restricted streaming channels and file sharing platforms only, forgetting about its main function – data protection. Firstly, a VPN should be installed on your smartphone, as nowadays we spend more time on smartphones and tablets rather than laptops or computers. So, please, go to this site and check which VPN fits your mobile OS and your personal requirements most. The choice is great and you will definitely find something interesting there."

After reading this paragraph, I still have no idea "WHY" I can't keep all my data safe without a VPN. Nor, why I need one when playing MMORPGs. This article was terribly written.

Based on the quality of the article, I feel less safe clicking on the links, than I do with my current VPN-free setup.
    --------------------------------------------
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    VPNs are safe? Yeah, only if the VPN provider you're using isn't tracking and selling your information.

VPNs are secure? Riigghhtt. Doesn't matter if the tunnel is encryped (a favorite marketing smokescreen), it can be accessed and therefore hacked. You can't truely be safe unless you cloak the communication and that can't happen with existing networking. You need to decouple identity and location, the fatal flaw of TCP/IP, a technology from the 1960's with NO built-in security.

TL;DR If you think you're suddenly safe using a VPN, then you're a fool. The only thing they're good for is accessing region-locked endpoints.
    Many vpns have additional options to run through a second VPN or to route through TOR to decouple identity and location, but does it really matter for people reading this board? Is their threat model going to be so severe that they even need to consider that sort of protection? I doubt it. Most people probably want nothing more than to stop their ISP logging all their traffic and to give themselves a bit of protection and anonymity when browsing the web and for that purpose most vpns easily suffice.

A lot use various methods to obfuscate VPN traffic against deep packet inspection, obfsproxy being a commonly used one, disguising the packets as https is another and is also very effective at circumventing DPI, sure there's ways to detect the origin type but it's pretty expensive to do so.
    Octagon7711
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    What to do about your Internet security depends tremendously on what information you're trying to protect and whom you're trying to protect it from.  There's a huge difference between hiding your Internet activity from:

a)  people who live with you (use private browser mode and/or clear your browser data, and never let anything auto-save your passwords)
    b)  cyber criminals (anti-virus and secure passwords for anything important)
    c)  your government (depends on the government and whether they need and can get a search warrant for what you're trying to hide from them)
    d)  hostile foreign governments (also depends tremendously on the details)

There's also an enormous difference between hiding:
    a)  the particular information that you're sending to and from a particular web site (simple encryption will protect the data as it goes over the Internet)
    b)  the fact that you're connecting to a particular web site at all (this will at minimum require a VPN or TOR or something)
    c)  information that is on your local computer and will never be sent over the Internet (sufficient to keep malware off and to keep adversaries from getting physical access)

There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to Internet security because different people have wildly different needs.
    Octagon7711d_20Gdemami
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    you can get a cheap vps and turn it into a vpn or proxy. there are linux packages with instructions (step by step command input) that make it easy for anyone.
    Gdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2018
    Meh, I would just use "Eset" and "CloudFlare DNS"

VPN's can be really useless especially if connected to public WI-FI, all that data has to be sent to someones router or cell tower first (Unless encrypted) on the users end.

Search Warrants, are only good assuming "Data" is left on your PC for the Police, or Government to find, there are other methods of encryption, and secret messages which are very easy to hide in plain view but places they would never think to even check, but not on a persons drive or pc.

VPN, and Proxy, are mostly used IMO to Grief Others, Evade Bans, Troll Others, Do illegal activity, otherwise truly without the proper encryption methods no data is truly private, but being behind multiple proxies, VPN, public WI-FI, and even TOR should be a must when doing something you absolutely can't live when being traced back to you.

Creating your own "Secret Codes" is also a great way to hide things when only the other person on the other end has the Cipher.

The only exception to all of this is if the NSA has a computer watching you like in the TV series "Person OF Interest" or "Eagle Eye", then all can be flawed should these truly exist.
    Gdemami
  • JugginatorJugginator Member CommonPosts: 1
    Okay it is late and I don′t have a whole lot of time to type a lot of details, but I dislike seeing things like this; yes, VPNs are technically better than nothing, but if you secure your computer in other ways it′s almost better than using a VPN. Running a VPN is quite expensive, so free ones will do more harm with advertisements and cheap encryption. You also use the VPN as a "man in the middle" (you may have heard about "man in the middle" attacks..) You solely rely on the VPN service to handle your logs / keys / etc safly and not get hacked themselves. I did a IT essay for my college not too long ago and found several peer−reviewed security reports on how a lot of VPNs actually made you MORE insecure. They will hide your IP  address and encrypt your endpoints, sure, but a skilled and determined hacker will get you in a public area. Yes, it′s good to use a VPN if you′re worried about bank info and the like, but you′re hurting yourself thinking you are safe with just that alone.

https://www.quora.com/Is-using-a-VPN-safe-Is-it-possible-that-my-personal-information-can-be-caught-by-some-technical-methods-during-the-time-I-am-using-a-VPN-If-it-can-be-done-how-does-it-work

Some guys there explained it better, sorry I am not at my home computer with those security reports... but you can do some digging for them. Do your research and don′t use free ones.
    Gdemami
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    you can get a cheap vps and turn it into a vpn or proxy. there are linux packages with instructions (step by step command input) that make it easy for anyone.
    Yes this is a very easy thing to do, a basic ssh tunnel or SOCKS5 proxy is great for some protection and anonymity. A possible downside, depending on your activity, is that the IP is singular in most cases.

Renoaku said:
    VPN's can be really useless especially if connected to public WI-FI, all that data has to be sent to someones router or cell tower first (Unless encrypted) on the users end.

This is really bad advice or understanding of the matter. A vpn client running on a laptop will handshake with the vpn server and create a secure connection allowing you to mask your data, there is no sending it to someone's router or cell tower unencrypted. The whole point of a vpn is to securely share information from one endpoint to the other so by default it is encrypted making it great for using on public wifi. A GRE tunnel is your basic point to point connection and I doubt anyone sells that as a vpn.
    Octagon7711
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I kept accidentally perma-banning myself from my own websites, so now I use a VPN.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    VPN's can be decrypted by government agencies or any hacker that wants to spend the time doing it.

However, just like an anti virus, or firewall, its useful.
    GdemamiCelcius

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    swtor blocked many vpns as far as i know, you can not get server list through vpn anymore in swtor.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    They're like vehicle security systems. Will they deter an amateur thief? Yes, an amateur will most likely move on to an easier target. Will they deter a knowledgeable, professional thief? No, they know exactly what they want and how to get it.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    VPN's do not protect you against malware, viruses, spyware, ransomware... none of that!

The way they advertise a VPN on commercials and the internet is false advertisement to the fullest!

Main thing a VPN is good for is if you want to be somewhat untraceable while on the web. The average person has no need for one. How many of you have been targeted by a hacker and had your system compromised without first downloading a virus or malware? Maybe .05%?

Have fun wasting your money on a VPN!
    AllerleirauhCelcius
    Verizon is releasing a new VPN service for Android and IOS to their customers for $3.99 a month and is supposed to be ad-blocking. Can be used on up to ten devices they say.

I believe Google has an option to encrypts open wifi-data as part of their service on phones.
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

VPN's do not protect you against malware, viruses, spyware, ransomware... none of that!

The way they advertise a VPN on commercials and the internet is false advertisement to the fullest!

Main thing a VPN is good for is if you want to be somewhat untraceable while on the web. The average person has no need for one. How many of you have been targeted by a hacker and had your system compromised without first downloading a virus or malware? Maybe .05%?

Have fun wasting your money on a VPN!

This. VPNs are only for encrypting traffic. But that traffic info is reported to the VPN, so if you don't control that VPN then it's completely worthless. VPN services are a complete joke. If you aren't running your own server with openVPN then you are wasting your time and money. Plus every streaming services eventually blacklists every VPN's IP so after a while you can't watch Canada's Netflix or local MLB games from across the country.

I have a VPN I fire up in Sao Paolo, Brazil through AWS running openVPN. Even that I would never do illegal activity with because I don't know for sure that Amazon isn't seeing my data, even though I'm pretty sure they don't.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

edited July 2018
    A few of them have auto start features and also a feature to not let anything through at all if they should fail while in use. So your real ip won't popup if they go down while in use.  Some show you how to use them directly from your router. Usually those instructions are on the companies site.