Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Will Fix the Leveling Pace...Once Devs Know Where the Issue Is - World of Warcraft - MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBlizzard Will Fix the Leveling Pace...Once Devs Know Where the Issue Is - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Since the launch of the Battle for Azeroth pre-patch content in World of Warcraft, players have been loudly complaining about leveling changes and the length of time it has been taking for players to move from one level to the next. Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas has gone on record as saying that, yest, something changed to make leveling much, much slower than before the update, but that the team is having trouble tracking down exactly where the problem lies.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Only 200k more boars to go...
    SBFordKilrane[Deleted User]JeffSpicoliMendelTruvidien88KylerananemoBeezerbeezinfomatzand 5 others.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Definitely an issue for those wanting to play races that are new! I like that they are working on it thought.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

I blame Intern Steve.

I blame GhostCrawler!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    edited July 2018
    15% longer to level up ? I wonder why anyone is even complaining. Do people write down the time they need to level up ? Kids nowadays, they would have never survived EQ hell levels. ;)
    angerbeaverinfomatzkinkyJalepenoRain_DeathravenSupaMutantZenerenTacticalZombehmaendrosThahar
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Leveled a warrior from 1-62 and gave up due to sheer boredom. It didn't seem to take too much longer, but I've come to the conclusion that I will never level a fresh alt. Leveling was awful to begin with which they acknowledged, and solved by making it take longer.

I'll be honest. After having played all my classes in the last week, I have completely lost interest in the expansion. They're taking away way too much and giving us Azerite passives in return. The new BFA content might be good, but all the classes I've played feel like absolute crap and I'm not going to enjoy the content unless the classes are fun. 

I really hate all the ability pruning Ion has been doing since WoD. 
    [Deleted User]esc-joconnorSignexinfomatzArskaaaThupliAsphyxiaZeaikoSwampDragonsJeroKaneThahar
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    I guess this is referring to lower levels? I re subbed last week after about a 2 year hiatus. Took me all of 20 hours or so play time to go from 93 to 110. It almost felt too fast.

I've got the straight edge.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I blame Intern Steve.

I blame GhostCrawler!
    Oh God
    [Deleted User]
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    my problem has always been the game is so top heavy leveling is just boring,i could care less how long leveling took just keep me engaged wile doing it tho
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]SignexThupliThahar
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Plain and simple if someone hates leveling in an RPG then maybe RPG's aren't for them. Also if you can't stand leveling up for the 20th time and constantly complain about it then why bother making alts.
    pantaroinfomatzThupliGorweOzmodanRain_DeathravenRhygarthTuor7dolyn08Thahar

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    calibek said:
    Plain and simple if someone hates leveling in an RPG then maybe RPG's aren't for them. Also if you can't stand leveling up for the 20th time and constantly complain about it then why bother making alts.
    if only most mmo's were actual rpgs!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]ThupliJTST83GolelornLeguma11Thahar

pantaro said:

calibek said:

if only most mmo's were actual rpgs!

Most are...not traditional Japanese RPG like Octopath Traveler (great throwback game btw), but they are RPG's.
    JTST83

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2018
    Its like they should've tested the changes before making them. Who would've thought of such an idea....? Blizzard isn't stupid though. They always make a lot of undocumented changes and stay silent until people notice something isn't working "right" (aka as blizzard really wants it to work but receives too much backlash and then 'hotfixes' it). Oh well, it does suck for those leveling the sub races.
    SBFordThupliThahar
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2018
    El-Hefe said:
    I guess this is referring to lower levels? I re subbed last week after about a 2 year hiatus. Took me all of 20 hours or so play time to go from 93 to 110. It almost felt too fast.
    If you read Watcher's post or even the summary here, the issue is the levels between 60-80. Up to 60, it was fine. I haven't been able to slog through to 80 yet to see through the other side. 60-75 has been VERY slow and with the bug that removed end-of-dungeon experience -- which has been traditionally about 20% of a level -- it is just too slow. This is the first of the Allied Races I'd wanted to raise, but while it's like this, there's not going to be another one. :dizzy:

Anthur said:
    15% longer to level up ? I wonder why anyone is even complaining. Do people write down the time they need to level up ? Kids nowadays, they would have never survived EQ hell levels. ;)
    That number came from Blizzard themselves after analyzing internal data. Add in the fact that Blizzard is asking for exactly this sort of data to help them track the issue, and you see that those numbers are, in fact, important.

Honestly, leveling 1 or 2 toons isn't a big deal, but it goes without saying that the curve has been much improved in the last 4-6 years so the glaring awfulness of some early-days leveling is painful. Without appropriate experience gains, it makes it exponentially worse post-8.0.

I don't think it's the change so much if it was an expected thing. It's the fact that it showed up out of the blue and is indeed a bug.

calibek said:
    People aren't crabbing about leveling alts.  In fact, interest in leveling alts went WAY up with the introduction of Allied Races and the heritage armor that's earned by leveling from 20-110.

The issue is that the experience was slowed when level agnostic zones went into play in 7.3.5 and now XP gains have been hit even harder post 8.0. As Watcher indicates, this was unintentional and should rightfully be fixed. 

Lastly, WoW isn't an RPG and there have been tried-and-true ways to level alts since vanilla. Those systems changed drastically in 8.0 and need to be fixed as the devs have said. The issue was an unintentional bug that they can't find the reason for.
    [Deleted User]marganculosSteelhelm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Blizzard is paying the price for turning the leveling part of the game into something like a poison pill you gotta swallow if you want to have some fun once you hit max level.
    infomatzThahar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    SBFord said:
    El-Hefe said:
    If you read Watcher's post or even the summary here, the issue is the levels between 60-80. Up to 60, it was fine. I haven't been able to slog through to 80 yet to see through the other side. 60-75 has been VERY slow and with the bug that removed end-of-dungeon experience -- which has been traditionally about 20% of a level -- it is just too slow. This is the first of the Allied Races I'd wanted to raise, but while it's like this, there's not going to be another one. :dizzy:

Anthur said:
    That number came from Blizzard themselves after analyzing internal data. Add in the fact that Blizzard is asking for exactly this sort of data to help them track the issue, and you see that those numbers are, in fact, important.

Honestly, leveling 1 or 2 toons isn't a big deal, but it goes without saying that the curve has been much improved in the last 4-6 years so the glaring awfulness of some early-days leveling is painful. Without appropriate experience gains, it makes it exponentially worse post-8.0.

I don't think it's the change so much if it was an expected thing. It's the fact that it showed up out of the blue and is indeed a bug.

calibek said:
    People aren't crabbing about leveling alts.  In fact, interest in leveling alts went WAY up with the introduction of Allied Races and the heritage armor that's earned by leveling from 20-110.

The issue is that the experience was slowed when level agnostic zones went into play in 7.3.5 and now XP gains have been hit even harder post 8.0. As Watcher indicates, this was unintentional and should rightfully be fixed. 

Lastly, WoW isn't an RPG and there have been tried-and-true ways to level alts since vanilla. Those systems changed drastically in 8.0 and need to be fixed as the devs have said. The issue was an unintentional bug that they can't find the reason for.
    Its really the simple case of giving "too much" and trying to take it away. If people remember WoD, the exp grind was nerfed to hell, so people leveled exponentially faster, which carried over into legion and then some methods got nerfed along the way (like the recruit-a-friend exp buff and such). Personally, I don't but the problem is a general one with blizzard, which is the lack of forethought. They aren't making decisions that work together with future content. Take the artifact system and why so many people are pissed with how things are now. Personally, we had all the utility stuff in the artifact system, which people dont seem to remember which were known as glyphs and even some WoD passives that we gained through leveling (which mysteriously disappeared, leaving us with only the lv100 talent row). So, we lost a system and eventually gained back what was taken away, with some minor additions for some classes. Now BFA is otw and we lose most of the stuff we gained (one might argue we've lost about the same as we did going into legion). The problem is, lets pretend we got EVERYTHING we lost back in BfA some how through the azerite system, we essentially getting back what we had for years with even less than we got in legion tbh. It honestly feels like Blizzard is just trying to keep the game alive at this point instead of actually building something. No one seems to care that the last "new" thing you get is at 100, so you got 20 level of getting nothing new, which from a new player perspective is boring.
    SBFordKalebGraysonThahar
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    lvl 60 to 80 has always been painfully slow for me. And both quests and dungeons in that level range are either uninteresting or give too little exp. Outside of that i always enjoy leveling pre 60 and post 80 levels. My problem with WoW is after reaching max level. I have nothing else to do but level another character until the end of my subscription month, then back to waiting for more story updates before resubscribing.
    Signex

edited July 2018

Here people may not be crabbing about leveling alts. On the WoW general discussion forums however they have been complaining about it since 7.3.5 hit. I understand that 8.0 screwed things up but the leveling was slowed down in 7.3.5 and there have been posts about it almost daily since, mostly from people who are upset because they want to quickly super level their 80th alt. Once 8.0 is fixed people will still complain that the leveling speed is too long and needs changed back to pre-7.3.5.

Also WoW is an MMORPG, and as such is subjected to change, much like any other MMORPG out there. There was no guarantee that the leveling situation wouldn't change, much like there is no guarantee that it won't change back to the way it was. The devs have explicitly stated that they are happy with the leveling changes of 7.3.5 (not 8.0 obviously) and have no intention to change it back. I played Legion (sub lapsed on Monday evening) and with a good deal of the quests taking you back to various parts of previous expansions to complete them, as well as with allied races and their using "time-played" metrics instead of concurrent users, it is not really a surprise that they changed the speed of leveling and slowed it down.

Kyleraninfomatz

edited July 2018
    @calibek I don't disagree with you. My only "issue" -- and it's not even really that afaic because I've only got 1 sub-level 110 character -- is that it's a huge, glaring bug that needs to be fixed. I know Hazzikostas said they don't want to roll out a blanket fix, but that they will. Let's hope it's soon. I want to get my baby Nightborne Monk to Pandaria. I love that expansion. :)
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]AlbatroesThahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

SBFord said:

@calibek I don't disagree with you. My only "issue" -- and it's not even really that afaic because I've only got 1 sub-level 110 character -- is that it's a huge, glaring bug that needs to be fixed. I know Hazzikostas said they don't want to roll out a blanket fix, but that they will. Let's hope it's soon. I want to get my baby Nightborne Monk to Pandaria. I love that expansion. :)

I just cannot comprehend why you and others are playing the game then.

I mean, I'm playing my 4th alt in FO 4 and at almost point have I really thought....man, sure can't wait to get my next level.

The bigger question is, do I save Far Harbor or destroy it?

;)
    calibekinfomatzSteelhelmThaharGeezerGamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    what i don't understand is the excuse ion gives for the prune,hes says that the game cannot sustain too many talents/spells and there thinking of the game in years to come,now two things,the game is old so maybe not too many years left so why not just build the game for the hear and now and also many other mmos have way more talents than wow does so how can there sustain them?,is it the wow engine simply buckling under the stress.

SBFord said:

8.0 leveling speed is definitely a problem, that I whole-heartedly agree with. I think the game needed a stat and iLevel squish but it almost feels like they didn't test any of this out before they did it because if they had PROPERLY tested it out then they would have noticed at least some of these glaringly obvious issues. Also this current expansion almost feels rushed out the door, which is one of the reasons why I am waiting for it to go on sale before I consider buying it.

One of the things I never agreed with was them constantly increasing the leveling cap. There were a few expansions, Legion being the key one, where they could have taken alternate routes. For instance, in Legion instead of the character leveling up, we could have leveled up just the artifact. It almost feels like there was no long term vision for the game past 10 years and now they are kind of scrambling to fill in things and raising the level cap higher and higher seems to be the only thing they know how to do. I really feel that they should have introduced a level squish along with the stat squish. This way they could have had the benefit of reducing the leveling time and the complaints of going multiple levels with nothing to look forward to.

In the end as much as any one of us wishes they would do things differently WoW is, at it's core, a dictatorship. The only thing we have a choice in is whether or not we feel it is worth our time and money to invest in it.
    [Deleted User]Thahar

natpick said:

what i don't understand is the excuse ion gives for the prune,hes says that the game cannot sustain too many talents/spells and there thinking of the game in years to come,now two things,the game is old so maybe not too many years left so why not just build the game for the hear and now and also many other mmos have way more talents than wow does so how can there sustain them?,is it the wow engine simply buckling under the stress.

It seems what he meant was more along the lines of "Less is More". I mean if they were to constantly add spells to each class every expansion then we would end up where every class would have every type of spell and multiples of the same spell. By that logic every class would have:

-Interrupt
    -Heal
    -Damage over Time
    -Direct Damage/Resource Builders (probably multiple of these)
    -Crown Control
    -Movement Speed
    -All Buffs
    -All Debuffs
    -Resource Spenders

At that point, other than visual looks, no class would be different then any other short of whether they were ranged or melee. Personally I would rather have a few meaningful button presses then have 5 spells that build up a resource, 5 that spend them, 3 interrupts, 3 heals, etc.

It also doesn't help that WoW has had multiple people at the helm with multiple visions over the years about how the game should be run. While I may not necessarily agree with the philosophy of pruning to create better gameplay for each class, I can kind of understand why they are doing it.
    Signex

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2018
    60-80 'has' always been slow, since the scaling I mean. That's why everyone jumped into Karazan to farm XP. There's tons of video guides about it. People are just bitching because they removed the ability to level using Karazan in 8.0. 

Didn't notice a difference myself. Levelling is too fast anyway. It should be increased by another 15% across all levels, not reduced.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    60-80 'has' always been slow, since the scaling I mean. That's why everyone jumped into Karazan to farm XP. There's tons of video guides about it. People are just bitching because they removed the ability to level using Karazan in 8.0. 

Didn't notice a difference myself. Levelling is too fast anyway. It should be increased by another 15% across all levels, not reduced.
    I don't farm that way, but do dungeons on-level and otherwise level through questing. That said, I think they should add a hardcore mode that either includes permadeath and / or a much slower leveling pace for people who like that. :)

dragonlee66jimmywolfThahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    SBFord said:

I don't farm that way, but do dungeons on-level and otherwise level through questing. That said, I think they should add a hardcore mode that either includes permadeath and / or a much slower leveling pace for people who like that. :)

First time I played through all the content for loremaster was during Cata I think. I started to disable XP gain every 10 levels because I wasn't having any fun just going around like an immortal god just 1 finger punching everything around me.

When levelling an alt I think, yeh, you want to do it as fast as possible really because you've likely already done it all.

I always thought it would have been good to have alt xp gain increased based on your loremaster achievements. 
    SBFord
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.