Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MUD games?

Enigma346Enigma346 Member UncommonPosts: 8
I know this is not a request you get often. Does anyone know of any popular MUD games that are actually worth looking into? I like the descriptive writing that is put into these games. It is kind of like reading a book while playing a game and interacting more. I really don't have any specifications in which I am looking for. Just something that has players online and that communicate to make the game even more immersive. Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited July 2018
    Enigma346 said:
    I know this is not a request you get often. Does anyone know of any popular MUD games that are actually worth looking into? I like the descriptive writing that is put into these games. It is kind of like reading a book while playing a game and interacting more. I really don't have any specifications in which I am looking for. Just something that has players online and that communicate to make the game even more immersive. Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond!
    There are MUDs for almost every genre you can imagine, but the two major fantasy MUDs are Gemstone IV and Aardwolf.  I played both and found Gemstone more to my liking.  Aardwolf is just too complex right from the start.  However, you really need to pay a minimum of $15 in monthly subscription cost to have a good time in Gemstone.  Aardwolf is totally free.  The communities in both are friendly and helpful.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I'd recommend Asgard's Honor.
  • CamShirayukiCamShirayuki Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Enigma346 said:
    I'd recommend Achaea, from Iron Realms Entertainment. It's fairly easy and straightforward to get into, and it'll prepare you for their newest one to come out, Starmourn, which is more sci-fi based, if that's your thing. Starmourn will be out in a few months. 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Iron Realms games' are kinda of a barometer for the health of MUDs in my opinion.   They tend to keep high player numbers based on their quality, unique gameplay (status conditions and status healing based combat, then some sort of story mechanic that plays with quests/interaction/ politics ),  and frequent updates.  Though  it come a bit at the cost of a brutal cash shop.

Right now I'm starting to look at Alter Aeon.  It looks to have an interesting class and subclass system.  Though I'm only an hour or two in right now, it has interesting hooks at the start.   And can't say much more.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I'm also curious to see what's still around. I played a heavily modded version of DikuMUD back in the mid-90's. Recent MUDs I've seen are a bit too complex and way to "carebear" friendly for my hardcore liking. Hell, we used to be able to kill anyone within our level range, loot everything and "charm person" them into doing anything imaginable :)
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    edited August 2018
    Lerxst said:
    I'm also curious to see what's still around. I played a heavily modded version of DikuMUD back in the mid-90's. Recent MUDs I've seen are a bit too complex and way to "carebear" friendly for my hardcore liking. Hell, we used to be able to kill anyone within our level range, loot everything and "charm person" them into doing anything imaginable :)

Man I have not played a MUD since about 98 lol. I use to play one called Act of War and it was a full loot pvp world with three kingdoms fighting over zones to level and a "warscore" each kingdom got based on the level of who they killed and whether they were a baron, or duke, etc. It was a lot of fun for sure, and I'd like to play one again if a similar setup existed, but I doubt it.

I tried it again a couple of years ago, but it was mostly dead with only a few people in my kingdom. Back when I played there were at least 50 on each kingdom at any given time. Checking again it's entirely dead now and the server seems to be down :(.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Take a look at https://www.starmourn.com/ for a new MUD launching this year.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    <3 this thread. Started playing MUDs in 1996. I haven't played MUDs in a long time so I can't be of too much help, but if you're a Star Wars fan, you should probably check out Legends of the Jedi. I know that one is still going.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've been playing this one off and on for years. http://www.hogwartslive.com/home.php 

Hogwarts Live is a free online Harry Potter multiplayer game, which is accessible to the visually impaired (i.e. blind-accessible). Once you start playing you can gain experience points, galleons, and levels by defeating fantastic beasts, unruly Professors, evil Death Eaters, and the infamous Voldemort to claim your title as a Hogwarts Champion.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey