Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riot Games MMO?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
Is this a tease? 

Marc Merrill asks: Should we build a MMO? Yay or nay?

Comments

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    d_20 said:
    Is this a tease? 

Marc Merrill asks: Should we build a MMO? Yay or nay?
    I gotta vote yes. 
    ZenJellyRain_Deathraven
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2018
     Wait .. wait .. wait .. you mean to say that Riot games does not consider LoL an MMO ... Thats gonna be a shock to some here ....:)   Also , very strange from the 3k responses of LoL fans that they all support the idea are enthusiastic of it , and dont think they are currently playing an MMO in LoL .. weird huh

Anyhow , sure they may as well throw there hat in , they have the resources and backdrop and some talented guys working .....

PS .. Make an updated UO plzzz .. these weak attempts we keep getting are not cutting it
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I think LOL is a good material to turn into a RvR MMO .

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    A MMO with the utterly toxic community of LoL?
    Not sure if happy...
    To be fair, since they have introduced the honor system the community has vastly improved. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    When I first saw this my initial thoughts were "Yeah sure if you want your company to take ten giant steps backwards." However now I've slept on it, Riot Games might actually be the first game company that has a chance of duplicating Blizzard's success with World of Warcraft. They've already got millions of fans so brand recognition. Its their own IP so no trying to live up to unrealistic fan preconceptions. And shit loads of money from other ventures so no needing to go outside the company for investment and risk third party interference. A LoL MMORPG done right could be a serious grand slam.
    Let's just hope that they leave the toxicity behind and that it won't be a LoL WoW clone...
    Toxicity is from the game type.

It's very easy to throw the game in the first 5 mins, then everyone can be "trapped" in that game for up to an hour.  Likewise game is set up for competitive/predatory gameplay, so you end up with gross trapped wolf mentalities. 

Likewise the game is set up such that there will always be new mechanics and subtleties to trip you up (even after hundreds of hours).   IE: you can get one class type to high rankings, then trying to learn other types of classes will leave you at average level (making you a king of throws).

Putting those players in an infinite progression system, against AI, and set up where mistakes just delays a win (MMO style mechanics like wipes)...  I'm sure that average friendliness will go up a bit.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Toxicity is the lifeblood of mmos. 
    Regardless who dominates a game 
    Past: Hardcore players who could choose to have no life and play a game. 
    Present: The sheer plethora of casual players who bring their wallets to force companies to make games catered around them.

Regardless of the viewpoint it doesn't change the toxic community that comes from

1) Hardcore players being hardcore and expressing it in a chat-box
    2) Casual Players branding themselves as hardcore players and expressing it in a chat box. 

Just remember...
    In this day and age, if a professional with a masters degree and many years experience,  who is not hired to be a civil servant gets into an exchange with a basement-living, uneducated forum-dweller, that is enough for said professional to lose their job, regardless of the toxic attitude coming from said professional. 

Riot Games can make whatever MMO they want.
    Their primary fanbase they are banking on is on league of legends. 

The toxic nature of League of Legends is legendary to the point that Honest Game Trailers made a trailer about them entitled "League of Assholes." I don't think a genre change is going to eliminate the present toxic nature. 

Can't play a single MMO that follows the following rule: 

"The farther you get, the higher the chances of encountering an ass, and once you get to pure endgame, watch out....as beyond tolerance lies a world truly void of light and filled with darkness."
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    A MMO with the utterly toxic community of LoL?
    Not sure if happy...
    I feel the community is toxic do the nature of the game. My gut also tells me either you have never played and are going by word of mouth with your statement, or you haven't played within the last year. Things have improved a dramatic amount. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Considering that a riot is a form of very toxic behavior (even if you believe the rioters are justified, something has gone severely wrong for a riot to be justified), would you really expect a peaceful, supportive community for a product made by Riot Games?
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Quizzical said:
    Considering that a riot is a form of very toxic behavior (even if you believe the rioters are justified, something has gone severely wrong for a riot to be justified), would you really expect a peaceful, supportive community for a product made by Riot Games?
    ha. ha. ha.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Seems like Merrill was just jerking our chain, anyway.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    toxic indeed .