Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outpost Zero Early Access Preview - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageOutpost Zero Early Access Preview - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Just when you think you couldn’t possibly be drawn to another survival after the many that have graced our gaming grid, just one trailer was all it took and I needed to get into Outpost Zero made by the folks over at Symmetric Games who have teamed up with tiny Build as they launch on Steam Early Access. The planet Gaiya is absolutely stunning, it drew me in like a moth to a flame but what did I have to do to dominate it?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just what we need, another survival game. Hopefully they will do something innovative and not just by the numbers survival. How about a transmutation gun that turns players into eggs? You can step on them or if not they hatch into chickens. :-)
    Samhaelinfomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Been using this since Steam early access launch, it is a beautiful game and has some good ideas, it is early access and things like Ai and some systems obviously need fleshing out, but the game itself runs incredibly smoothly.

I just need them to apply a big girlie scream to my robot avatar as I spend a lot of time running away and the scream would be very appropriate.
    Octagon7711KyutaSyuko[Deleted User]ValdheimTacticalZombeh

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

kruler said:

I just need them to apply a big girlie scream to my robot avatar as I spend a lot of time running away and the scream would be very appropriate.

Lmao I need a grrrrr for the little crabs that follow you for miles and pop up just when you think you got far enough away from them...
    [Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    KiwiHype said:

kruler said:

Lmao I need a grrrrr for the little crabs that follow you for miles and pop up just when you think you got far enough away from them...
    Dedicated NPCs are always a surprise when they do things like that.  I'm surprised they don't have that more often in games.  I've seen players go after me for hours just to get their revenge, waiting for me to get busy with a mob so he can pounce.  Good times...
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Ah, too bad. Looks and sounds like a "pretty" (if you like that color palette) version of the same old misnamed "survival" genre.

I say misnamed, because while the goal and challenge is to survive, they are really all about getting killed over and over and over by an unrealistic number and kinds of hazards until you conform to whatever pre-determined behavior pattern they've decided is what you need to do to survive. Welcome to the maze, rat.

Oh, you might say that the ways to die aren't unreal in number, means, or whatever, given the background story, situation, alien planet, etc., but when you look at that, it is cleary contrived -- of COURSE you start out with your (sailing, space) ship crashing, so you have to start from scratch. Then of course there are local animals who not only are not afraid of you, but actively hunt you. And their really big, or numerous, or persistent. Like the wolves in that Viking game that are far more aggressive and deadly than any real wolves ever were.

Apparently, that's what lots of players WANT in a survival game: a lot of challenge to overcome. But all those challenges pretty much kill whatever "sandbox" aspect there is to it. You're not stuck on a narrow path, but you're forced into a series of actions. In real life, you do have to obtain certain essentials right away, but usually there are different ways to do that, and once you've got food, water, fire, and basic shelter you're pretty well set. In the games, you can only find certain items/resources, and you HAVE to find certain ones and craft certain things with very little variation in the order.

Well, not for me, but maybe I'm weird. I like the sound of a game that is a sandbox and is about surviving in a strange new land or planet, but me, I'd like one where surviving is actually a high probability and death is something you have to be careful to avoid... but it's not THAT hard to avoid it. I'd like to have the freedom and almost leisure to explore, and to DISCOVER the properties of EVERYTHING that might be of interest, not be forced to look for specific items to put into pre-determined "crafting" slots.

Ah, I'd better quit before I start detailing everything I'd like in a game...
    [Deleted User]KiwiHypeButch808
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    edited July 2018

Ah, I'd better quit before I start detailing everything I'd like in a game...

I'd like to hear it!

Honestly though I didn't die as much in this survival as I usually do but did so on purpose on more occasions as I wanted to test some things. You're a robot and your drone as well the ability to build more when you get the materials can harvest , build or defend etc so you can so explore which is what i like to do also.

There isn't the usual aging/bleeding/hunger side of things as a human but there is strategy especially with base raiding. I'll get more advanced over the coming weeks and see what else I can explore as I agree with you on liking the idea of more elements outside the usual food shelter and protection ones. In that time I'll ponder what I think might be cool after I play more.