Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will the genre of real survival games be called?

blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
Now that survival games equal crafting games, what will we call any game that comes out that focused on actual survival without the major and main focus being crafting be called?

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    boring or kiddies games?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    The genre of survival games will be called survival games.
    Vermillion_Raventhalanemo

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2018
    im certain , that here we will call them ................. MMOs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Regardless of gameplay , mechainics/sever structure/# of players.. etc .. on and on
    Nilden[Deleted User]deniterKyleran
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2018
    Do you mean Survival Horror? Like Resident Evil? Because they have always been called Survival Horror, not Survival.

Even if it isn't fantasy type horror, it's still horror. A pack of wolves that could kill you at night is a horrific thing to contend with, so it's still Survival Horror. Freezing to death is a horrible thing happen to you and you would be afraid of it happening, so that's still horror. Being alone in the woods, at night, is scary, so that's horror.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited July 2018
    he probably means games like the original Dayz. there was no crafting or building, just straight up looking for food/ammo and trying not to get killed.

alas, they are called simply: survival games.

the new types(ark, rust, conan exiles, etc) would be more like: survival/building games. 
    Lokero
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Breaking News - the DIY channel, Construction channel, and other channels about building things will now change their name to Survival channels.  
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I would actually like to see a Robinson Crusoe inspired survival game, with just the right amount of crafting! 
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    What an odd place to ask this. Not MMO, or MMORPG related... but yet you chose here.
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    "Naked and Afraid"

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    I would actually like to see a Robinson Crusoe inspired survival game, with just the right amount of crafting! 

Been playing that for a while now. No zombies or constructions, just dangerous wildlife, the cold, the illness and the hunger to deal with.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Unless the needed items to survive are supplied to the character in some other way, it will be a game of death if not set in the most benign of conditions.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Join the Marines and deploy. I played for 9 years.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I vote that we call them "fake survival games".
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Quit your job, you'll be playing the ultimate survival game soon after.
    If living off the government's teat involved crating I doubt there would be so many people doing it.  
    So, just to be clear - we all agree survival game means crafting game.  What should crafting games be called?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'm going to go with bent up trucker hat, pick up truck, patriot in own mind and wishes hickok45 was their grandpa.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm going to go with delusions of grandeur, full blown Dunning-Kruger, and wishes more games had toddlers in super-sexy outfits and included dating-sim elements. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    To me a survival game is one where I have to MacGyver myself around getting my water out of a dew collector. I just call that sort of thing a survival game. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I've been playing the ultimate survival game for over 60 years but the deck is stacked against me and the odds are getting longer every year.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

To me, if I start a game up and the overwhelming majority of my time is spent crafting its a crafting game.  Since I have no desire to play a crafting game I usually don't get very far in them, so have little experience with crafting games.  The last one I tried was Wild Tera.

But if we look at this logically, we can run through a couple "survival" scenarios.

Post-apocalypse.  
    Depending on event, and time after the event, we can be pretty certain "surviving" would not include much crafting.  Scavenging for already crafted things?  Sure.  After a while it would have specialized jobs, like farming, metalworking, repair, etc.  Maybe old professions like wainwrights depending.

Deserted Island type scenario
    Plenty of real world examples to draw from.  All had light crafting, but definitely not a major focus.  

"Naked and Afraid" type scenario.
    I watched some of these after it was mentioned above.  This show definitely involve some crafting.  When something is needed it certainly is a focus, but the item the person can bring is key.  I wouldn't mind playing a game based on this where crafting is so rare and super extremely limited, but the basics are super important.  The crafting games called survival games are nothing like this at all.  Are there any like this that I am not aware about?

I just don't see the connection between crafting games where you spend the majority of your time crafting and crafting and crafting, and anything but the most tenuous strings between them and anything that would make sense to belong to a genre called survival.

Am I some sort of super survivalist?  No, not at all.  I was an infantryman for half a decade, and living outside like a monkey made me hate the outside.  I also hate weapons, because half my life was cleaning weapons.  I hate standing in lines, I hate running, and I hate road marching.  If I ended up on a dangerous deserted island I would focus on a quick and as painless a death I could because living just to survive alone in that situation sounds awful.  

This isn't about what you like or dislike, but what makes sense and what doesn't.  Calling crafting games survival games doesn't make any sense to me, and I don't logically see the how this happened nor how people embrace it.  I could see calling Unreal World a survival game.  I've never really played it but NEO Scavenger would make sense.  I'm sure there are a million examples.  And all of them would emphasis survival - not be crafting games with light-survival elements.